Runners! When do you hit your stride?

Options
I ran track in middle school, and cross-country in high school. I'm sure due to my age, short distances were completely doable and fun. (I competed in the 5K in high school.) But my running as an adult has changed. I train for longer distances, and no matter how well my speed work is, I've developed a particular mileage for my stride. Meaning, no matter what distance I feel like absolutely poop for the first 3-4 miles. It's not really until mile 4 or 5 when I feel completely in the groove, warmed up, and happy. It's rare for me to feel great on a 5K -- that's a good day! Perhaps it's a product of age, I have no idea.

Anyone else experience something similar? Do you feel awful the first few miles of your runs? When do you hit your stride?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It varies for me. Most of my runs feel good from pretty much the first step and others, like last night, are a bit of a struggle - my legs felt heavy for the first few kms.

What i have found, though, is strong correlation between crappy runs and fatigue. Typically when I run in the morning, when I'm pretty much fresh out of bed (need at least 1 cup of coffee to figure out how to tie my runners up) I feel great right from the start. When I run after work my crappiness index varies with how tired I feel.

Having said that, I almost always have a much better perspective on life after a run - even those that don't start of so great.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    It's weird, if I'm going out for only like 2 miles or a 5k I feel great through the whole run. For longer runs, I feel like crap until mile 4 and then hit my stride (I've been trying to improve on this, but nothing yet).
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Depends on the temperatures. On warm(er) days, I feel warmed up and ready to go sometime during the second mile. On cold(er) days it can take up to 4 miles before I feel properly warmed up.
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    It varies but I usually feel like crap with crampy calves for miles 1-2 then hit my stride around mile 3.
  • nisha0612
    nisha0612 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    At around 3 miles in... the first 1.5 miles is the hardest for me.. when i hit 3 miles, i can feel the endorphins kick in.. my breathing is steady and my legs keep to the beat of my music.. i make sure i have some awesome tunes in my ipod to pick me up and keep me going... a lot about running for me has to do with the music... :D
  • ritmeyer
    ritmeyer Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm with you!! Of course a totally crappy, fatigued run is a different thing. When I run a 5k, I pretty much have to continuously tell myself to keep going. I feel like I want to stop!! Now on a 10 or 12 mile run, I feel great the first few miles, then like I can run forever 4-5 miles in. My guess, is simply that I'm still working on my first mile pace in a 5k. I know my "take it easy' pace on a long run in those first few miles. I'm still working on not going out too fast in my 5ks. My splits suck on those!! I did get my PR my last 5k race, but my fastest mile was my first and I had NOOOO energy the last mile. This is my best guess. It's annoying.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Depends on if I'm training or racing. Training, i might take 5 mins before I kick in. 5K, 30-45 seconds because I warm up so well before hand and start out balls to the wall, same thing with 10K's. 1/2 marathon and up, pretty much from the start because I'm just cruising, not worried too much about time because I'm not medaling in those distances.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Mine seems closely linked to heart rate
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    If I'm tired it takes about 1/2 mile to warm up and get in stride. If I'm fresh it only takes a couple of minutes.
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    The first 3 kms always seems akward to me. And usually my best kays are the last ones...I always joke I have to wait for my diesel engine to kick in. :laugh:
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    For me... it's usually around the start of mile 3!!! When I was only doing shorter distances, the first mile was very hard... now it's 2-3 miles that are hard.
  • NearlyJen
    NearlyJen Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I've always been completely miserable for at least the first 2-3 miles, and then I feel like I can run forever.
  • RaineMarie
    RaineMarie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    When I'm training for longer races, it really does take until about mile 3 before I feel comfortable and can zone out. It makes running 5ks really difficult. However, now that I am pretty much only running 5ks, it usually just takes me the first mile to get into a groove. Maybe it's a mental block thing?
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    It varies for me. Most of my runs feel good from pretty much the first step and others, like last night, are a bit of a struggle - my legs felt heavy for the first few kms.

Having said that, I almost always have a much better perspective on life after a run - even those that don't start of so great.

Every run is a totally unique experience!
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I usually don't feel good until about mile 2. The first mile totally sucks and in my head I'm saying "What the h#ll are you doing out here at 5 AM, in the dark, exerting energy??" But I know that once I get to that second mile, things will be all good.
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I always thought I was weird for feeling like this! The first 1.5 is horrible and I hate it. Once I get to 4 I'm usually pressed for time and need to stop. However that's when I feel like I could go for hours! It's when I feel great and ready to "start"
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Miles. 3-5 are my best. I feel like crap til almost the one mile mark. That's getting better though.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    about mile 3 or 4. If it's a short run I feel crappy and tired the whole time but on a longer run I seem to hit it sooner, mile 2 or 3. I'm sure it's all mental.
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    It varies but I usually feel like crap with crampy calves for miles 1-2 then hit my stride around mile 3.

Me too!
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I need a couple of miles before I feel like I'm in the groove.