Homemade shirataki-magic-konjac-miracle noodles

Options
LowcarbNY
LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
I've struggled with trying to make my own homemade shirataki-magic-konjac-miracle noodles out of glucomannan powder.

I found a recipe on the manufacturers (of the powder) web site and tried it. Failure. Noodle mixture was runny, sticky, and was not water stable (it would dissolve into a gummy mass ) .

I found another recipe with basically the same recipe (slightly different order of processing but same ingredient ratios). Following it resulted in failure also.

I experimented and found that if I increased the amount of powder and lime that I would get a result that worked but my guess was far from acceptable (way too tough a noodle).

I was almost resigned to embarking on my own Design of Experiments mission when I came across this posting on another web site.
SUCCESS.

The recipes I had been following were defective (basically TBS was incorrectly translated as tsp ). I made the noodles with fresh homemade chicken stock and seasoned salt so they have some flavor. Served them with sliced up roasted chicken breast and a commercial bottled Alfredo sauce (yes I could have made a better sauce but time was short) Here is what I used :

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lowcarb-recipe-help-suggestions/708488-homemade-shirataki-noodles-2.html#post14664032

I'm sure that I'll get better at it as I go along. Looking forward to doing the cream version for sushi.

Replies

• fireballaaa
    fireballaaa Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Can you post the recipe here? I can't get on that site from work.
    Thank you very much.

Theresa
    :blushing:
  • LowcarbNY
    Options
    I'm not going to copy their work to here but here is a synopsis.
    It is the same as the "Bad" recipe I was using but change tsp to TBS. so 2 TBS of powder in 2 cups of water.
    No extra materials needed. Still need the pickleing lime. I did get fair results (too stiff I probably used too much powder) from using lots of glu powder and baling powder (but I needed like a TBS or 2 of baking powder vs 1/8 tsp of Lime)

I use a fine strainer to slowly sift the powder to the water while stirring so that it does not clump.

I have to work on getting the material thin enough to slice into fine noodles. Unfortunately I got rid of my pasta roller/cutter machine a few years ago after going low carb (for life I figured). I could use that now to slice it. I don't think it would work well for rolling out the material as it is too flimsy while warm and too stiff while cold.

There is a guy over on Low Carb Friends who made himself a pasta extruder (he calls it a noodler ) out of a caulking gun and PVC pipe. He uses it to press the glu glop through small holes so that it comes out in threads.
    I think that they use a different recipe (like the one that didn't work for me) uncooked, and extrude the glu into boiling water to cure it.
    Sounds like a lot of work to me right now.
    Discussed here:
    http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/recipe-forum-sticky-threads/709459-glucomannan-recipes-28.html#post15425403
    and here:
    http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/recipe-forum-sticky-threads/709459-glucomannan-recipes-29.html#post15437762

Meanwhile I like being able to use flavored broth to make my noodles more tasty. I'll work on getting it thinner. Maybe a wet rolling pin will work (maybe not) . Waxed paper will not work.
  • lkcuts
    lkcuts Posts: 224
    Options
    it's a little expensive, and the texture is kinda rubbery,but they take on the flavor of what ever your base is. I bought the orginal miracle noodles from their site www.miraclenoodle.com.. they are made from the mushroom with zero cals, salt, gluten etc. I found I like the angel hair the best. They have brown too but haven't tried that yet. thanks forthe recipe tho I may try it. I do know they expand in your stomach for a fuller feeling.What is the expense of the powder? Thanks
  • LowcarbNY
    Options
    I bought my powder here
    http://www4.netrition.com/konjac_glucomannan_powder.html
    http://www4.netrition.com/now_glucomannan.html

$20 usd for 500g. I used (latest recipe) about 30g I think (I measure by volume not weight but I'll check later) to make more than I would get out of 2 packages of noodles.
    2 packs of noodles would cost me $5.60

so my powder cost is about $1.20 per batch so about 20% the cost of pre made. . I had to pay about $8 for a pound of pickleing lime (smallest size I could find) and that should be a lifetime supply.
    These have considerably more fiber in them than the commercial ones.
    If I can get the extruder (noodler version ) working then the cost per batch would be about 1/2 of that or $0.60 for 2 packages equivalent by my calc.
  • stan4rose
    Options
    Hello!

What is the ratio of calcium chloride to konjac powder - and how much water?

Thanks,
    Rose:flowerforyou:
  • tere0220
    tere0220 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Help me, help me!?!
    I know it's years later, but I'm hoping someone out there has perfected this. I have a Norpro extruder.