progresso soup diet??

Options
I just started the progresso soup diet yesterday. I am not hungry, but I logged my calories and in the past two days I havent had more than 800 calories. Is that safe??

Replies

• hlminton
    hlminton Posts: 6
    Options
    I just started the progresso soup diet yesterday. I am not hungry, but I logged my calories and in the past two days I havent had more than 800 calories. Is that safe??
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    No, you need to be at the very least comsuming 1200 calories a day. Your body is going to go into starvation mode. Eat your calories!! Just watch what you are eating and make healthy choices to meet your calorie goal. I usually eat Progresso Soup for lunch but I still eat a meal for breakfast and dinner.
  • shkaki
    shkaki Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    yep you need more calories than that!!! also be very careful because soup can be very very high in sodium, especially if thats all you're having every day!
  • mello
    mello Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I did this a week this past winter, I added fresh fruits/fiber one granola bar and some fresh cut veggies for snacks. However, as previously posted.....I showed a 4 lb weight gain for the week, my ankles, hands and fingers swole like CRAZY....it was from the sodium in the soups, so be careful.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I don't know exactly what this diet consists of, but before I had kids (when I was a healthy and fit weight) I had soup for lunch every single day! Just soup and an apple. Breakfast was a protein powder smoothie, veggies for snack, soup lunch, yogurt for second snack, and a balanced dinner.

I think if you are ONLY eating soup, probably not so good for you (lack of variety of vitamins, balance of macronutrients, lack of bulk for digestion, etc)...

I think the low cal soup lunch kept me slim though! I might try it again myself!
    Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • ramonaschack
    ramonaschack Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You are definately not eating enough calories. Bad for a couple reasons. Also, how long can you possibly be happy just eating soup? There are so many other good foods you can eat throughout the day and maintain the 1200 calories easily, feel satisfied and not deprived.
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I did that for about 5 months (about two years ago) I was running a mile and a half everyday eating a banana for breakfast soup and maybe a 1/2 sandwich for lunch and soup or a healthy choice tv dinner and I lost alot of weight....but I was ALWAYS STARVING!!!! and of course I gained it back quicker than I lost it....Switch it up alittle ok hun
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    check the back of the can, there are usually 2 servings per can, you could be eating more than 800.
    I don't if youre accounting for that or not, but it was the first thing that came to mind. Otherwise, no, you should have more than 800 calories per day.
  • dedelen0
    dedelen0 Posts: 21
    Options
    No, just like mentioned before is this going to be a quick fix? what are you going to do after the diet? "gan it back quicker". Make sure your getting a healthy amount of fruits, carbs, and proteins in your diet as well with whole foods and the sodium will tend to make you feel bloaded and dehydrated. Hot soups all day are no fun in the summer! lol.. Incorporate other things in your diet hun.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    If you call it a diet it won't work for a long term. Yes, thats an assumption and no I don't really have any empirical data to back that up. If you want to lose it for life, you need to eat in a way you can stick to the rest of your life. So, no fads and nothing trendy. Eat healthy foods in a balanced way. Stay away from processed stuff.

Could you really eat nothing but progresso soup for the rest of your life? Every day, every meal? If no, what happens when you suddenly ramp up your caloric intake? You're going to gain it all right back. Thats why diets don't work. A diet is short term. You're looking for a lifelong change.

I'm not trying to be mean, I want to make sure you're healthy and safe, and starving yourself and eating nothing but progresso is neither of those things.

-Matthew
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    That wasn't mean, you sounded like a Papa Bear!!
    Very sound advice!
  • mhoward48
    Options
    I have a friend who has lost 60 lbs. He eats what ever he wants for breakfast. Then lunch and dinner are always soup. If he gets hungry for a snack it is soup. He uses the progresso with points, and sometimes adds vegetables, or mushrooms to it. He also drinks a lot of Arizona diet green tea. I just started it this week, since he did so good with it. Make sure you do not add any salt to the soup. It really does not need it.
  • Play_outside
    Play_outside Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Not enough calories and as others have mentioned, probably not a sustainable lifestyle. Not to mention-use it or lose it! Soup only is giving your digestive system a pretty huge rest-not good in the long run (unless of course you just eat soup for the rest of your life). Also as mentioned, high in sodium. Lacking all of the nutrients you need. I would recommend if you REALLY want to do a "soup diet" at least make homemade soup so it's not full of sodium. Eating balanced meals would certainly be a better option though, that you would maintain for the rest of your life. I love soup, but would definitely not be happy if that was all I ate.
  • Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Honey, no. This is very bad for you - your metabolism will crash, you'll stop losing weight because your body thinks you're starving to death and you'll probably start suffering headaches, irritability, and confusion (all signs of low blood sugar and inadequate nutrition.) This is the sort of crash dieting that MFP is trying to help stop. Eat something, honey - you'll feel healthier and you'll have the energy to go out and exercise, which will make you healthier and slimmer over the long run.
  • dmjones6811
    Options
    probably wont work long term. I eat breakfast around 200 calories, light progresso soup for lunch, and i cook a healthy dinner. Not going under 1200 calories. And i eat 2 healthy snacks in between, and i drink alot of water. And I feel differnt already. Good luck!
  • applebottom530
    Options
    Absolutely not safe my dear! You need at least 1300 calories a day to lose weight safely. You will need even more if u plan on exercising. You will need energy to go about your daily functions. Hopes this helps.
  • Levesque_7
    Options
    No, you need to be at the very least comsuming 1200 calories a day. Your body is going to go into starvation mode. Eat your calories!! Just watch what you are eating and make healthy choices to meet your calorie goal. I usually eat Progresso Soup for lunch but I still eat a meal for breakfast and dinner.

dont listen to this...starvation mode is a MYTH. I wish people on these forums would get it already. Stop the madness.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    so what's your plan after you've lost the weight? half of weight loss is maintaining that loss..
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    i'm PRETTY sure the progresso soup diet is more like instead of your normal lunch OR!! dinner you have the can of soup.... not soup all day... think you might get the liquid squirts then :laugh: