Don't Want To Be Fat In My 40's!!!

Options
Hello - a newbe here. Well, it has now been 3 days and I really feel this website is helping me. It certainly makes you think about what goes in your gob! I started this journey (I hate that word don't you?!?) as I don't want to be fat in my 40's. Plus my nana was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in her 90's and had to have her leg amputated and a toe off the remaining foot. Don't wanna go there! I am 5'1 and 12 and a half stone. Not good. So, even though I have tried Weightwatchers and Atkins, I feel that just calorie counting is more sustainable for the future and doesn't make me faint! If Dawn French can do it this way - so can I! Not a pudding, chocolate or sweets person (not really sure why I'm the size I am really?) but I do like a glass of wine in the evening - my only real vice. And quite calorific I know! So, as long as I don't have to give that up and include it in my total, I think I'll be OK. I sometimes wish that my lovely husband had called me a 'fat old cow' occasionally, as at least I'd have been more motivated sooner. Anyway - starting now. Better late than never. Reasons, apart from the whole diabetes thing, I've got lots of gorgeous clothes in my wardrobe that don't fit anymore and I have an amazing son I want to see grow up. Simple really.

Replies

• SarahAFerguson
    SarahAFerguson Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I'm right with you. In my twenties I said I would be lean and strong by my thrities and then I had three kids and life got busy. Now I'm 36 and I've got to set a good example for my girls and be there for them as they grow up. Forty will be fabulous!!!
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I turn 50 in two weeks and my entire maternal family is diabetic and has heart disease starting at very young ages. I have neither. You can do this! It's great to be "a woman of a certain age" and fit! :smile:
  • Culley34
    Options
    Good for you and best of luck. It gets easier, trust me.
  • twilightlvr79
    twilightlvr79 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Hi! Welcome to MFP, this site is such a wonderful place to find support. Anyone who wants to add me as a friend is welcome to do so!
  • 18guyhornet
    18guyhornet Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Welcome and you've taken the right first step - being part of a community which supports you through this. You can do this!!!
  • sexikc
    sexikc Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I am with you...I went through all of my twenties fat and so far in my 30s I have managed to gain all the weight back that I lost the last year of my 20s by simply not being commited enough and losing focus. I have decided to approach my weight loss slowly so it may take me mutlple years to get to where I want to be. I am 32 so Im hoping by 35 I will be there (really 34.5) It may happen sooner than I think but it is definitely past time for me to stop being fat. I wish you the best for your journey and congrats on taking this step!
  • rainlover711
    rainlover711 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I just turned 38 and I have a lot to lose. I love this site, and it really is helping me. I would love to reach my goal by age 40 also.....good luck!
  • julimonster
    julimonster Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    40's are wonderful, so's this site, welcome! Didn;t think I could lose that weight at this age but I'm DOING IT!!!!
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    From my name you can see we have a few things in common. Anyway, take a look at my profile and if you think we're a good motivational match send along a FR. Cheers and Good Luck on this "JOURNEY". Yes most of us hate the term, but it is appropriate.
  • ClarkeEJ
    ClarkeEJ Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    The very reason I joined MFP in January. I am 40 in February 2013 and want to lose as much weight before I reach it. I am half way there.
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    .I would love to fat in my 40s - but sadly I shall be 64 next May (address available on request for cards and chocolates - Oh?...)
  • minisumo
    minisumo Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I'm on my 'journey' (yes, I DO hate that word!) for similar reasons. I'm 38, just under 5'2" and weigh about 12 stone - the heaviest I've ever been. But I want to look better at 40 than I was when I was in my 20s (and never realised then how good I looked, DOH!). Can't wait to get back into all those clothes again... yes, they will still look great 10 years on, I have style baby!

My dad has type 2 diabetes and just recently had to have 2 toes and part of his foot amputated - he's in his late 50s and still working, but it really hit home for all of us what could happen if things got any worse. Definitely a wake up call and the kick up the *kitten* that I needed to start looking after myself. I'm not really a sweet person either, cheese and wine are my biggest vices and unfortunately I can't just stop at one glass :drinker:

I don't have any kids yet but I want to be fit and healthy if I have the amazing good fortune to become a mum at 40ish. And to be a fabulous yummy mummy at that :happy:

Good luck with everything, feel free to add me if you want support.
  • tcalamity
    tcalamity Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Im 40 next year and busting my *kitten* to be fit and healthy by then and to help my back an to make sure I dont end up with weight related health problems. so here's to the journey hun.
  • Aniseedvan
    Aniseedvan Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm 39 same height, was also 12 1/2 stone at the start of July - lost a stone and a bit since :)

Way to go yet but I'm getting there - good luck - there's plenty of inspiration to be had on here!
  • whyweight1
    Options
    Hi all,

I am new here as well, so be kind... :) I also don't want to be fat in my 40's and its my 40th birthday tomorrow.... I have just started the 17 day diet and (on day 3) and haven't lost weight yet...argh, but I do feel generally better than I have in a long time. wish me luck. I'm hoping to lose 20 pounds overall, and it would be wonderful if 7 - 10 of those could be in the next 14 days....

Thanks...
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I am new here as well, so be kind... :) I also don't want to be fat in my 40's and its my 40th birthday tomorrow.... I have just started the 17 day diet and (on day 3) and haven't lost weight yet...argh, but I do feel generally better than I have in a long time. wish me luck. I'm hoping to lose 20 pounds overall, and it would be wonderful if 7 - 10 of those could be in the next 14 days....

Thanks...

Hi hun -- 20 pounds isn't much to lose at all, so it will probably go pretty slowly. And 7-10 pounds in two weeks is very very ambitious, regardless of the diet. Even if you did lose that amount in two weeks, you would be pretty likely to gain it all back as soon as you went to normal eating. I'm guessing the 17-day-diet isn't really a sustainable way to live, just a short term boost. By all means, do what feels right to you. Everyone has to find their own way. But I'd really strongly suggest taking it slow and making lifestyle changes that you can live with at healthy weight forever. Slow and steady wins the race. Just a little advice from someone who will be turning 50 in a few days, lost a total of 20 pounds, am keeping it off every ounce, and feel fantastic.
  • kiangel
    kiangel Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Hiya :) look forward to hearing about the weight falling off :)
  • lisalu1202
    lisalu1202 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi, I turned 40 last year and have since given up smoking and I am now trying to get fitter. I have sent a friend request.
  • loubeef
    Options
    Just completely blown away with the fact that after only an hour or so of putting my details on this site, I received so many messages. That people I don't even know could take the time out and write to me was completely inspirational. Thanks guys...xxx
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    WELCOME!!!! YOU CAN DO IT!