ground turkey is getting boring!

Options
I need some new and different recipes for ground turkey! I am getting very bored with the same old stuff. Any ideas?

Replies

• ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Bleh I hate ground turkey

Meatball subs, lasagna, really anything you use ground meat for
  • karynmillar
    Options
    Trader Joes Ground Turkey, one packet onion soup mix, 2 cups quinoa, 3 egg whites, 21 spice salute...make into turkey patties or meat balls...for turkey patties we grill them and serve with avacado/tomato relish in a lettuce wrap!
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Turkey meatloaf, ala skinnytaste.com
  • shan1204
    Options
    Get some harissa paste and mix a little with some finely chopped onions, peppers and olives plus a good dose of chopped mint. Form into small meat balls. Bake in the oven at about 180 deg C with a very little bit of olive oil smeared lightly over a baking tray. Serve with a small pita plus some greek yoghurt or sour cream with a pinch of cumin in it and some salad.
  • katescurios
    katescurios Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Why ground turkey only? You can get steaks , strips or chunks then it can be marinated, added to chilli, made into a curry, stirfried, made into fajitas, bbq flavoured...... much more choice if you go with a variety of cuts rather than just mince
  • jmbowman11
    jmbowman11 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use it to make taco meat. The taco seasoning makes it taste better. I fix my husband and daughter tacos and fix myself a taco salad.
  • Nicolelovestocook
    Options
    Ground Turkey Taco Lettuce cups! saute 4 oz of ground turkey in a pan with chopped zucchini, red pepper, onion and garlic. Add spices like cumin, red pepper flakes, and red pepper. Add a little water to make it saucy.

Serve on Lettuce Leaves with some sprinkled cheddar cheese and fat free sour cream! =]
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Change it up. Get some lean ground beef or ground pork
  • fallenintoblue
    Options
    Add it to a pasta dish or a homemade pizza and you could even make a meatloaf with it good luck :)
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    mmmm i use ground turkey everyday! top 2 meals are:

1) ground turkey mixed with green beans with salt on top and sweet potato (on the side or mixed in)
    484106_10152051453335595_1118070602_n.jpg

2) spaghetti squash with ground turkey and pasta sauce YUMMY (i had toast in this pic too haha)
    599939_10151894849525595_251730425_n.jpg
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Eat ground beef then! My diet ranges from 40-50% calories from fat (only 20-25% from carbs) and I have lost 8lbs in 50 days on 500 cal deficit. I have never ONCE been hungry. My cholesterol, tryglicerides, and blood sugar are always fantastic. Your brain is made of fat, most vitamins are fat soluable. Dietary fat does not equal body fat! It is your friend. Ground turkey sounds horrible.
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Someone already said meatloaf, but here's one of my favorite ground turkey recipes:

Turkey & Quinoa Meatloaf: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/turkey-and-quinoa-meatloaf/detail.aspx

1/4 cup quinoa
    1/2 cup water
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    1 small onion, chopped
    1 large clove garlic, chopped
    1 (20 ounce) package ground turkey
    1 tablespoon tomato paste
    1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
    2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    1 egg
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
    1 teaspoon water

Directions
    1.Bring the quinoa and water to a boil in a saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender, and the water has been absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes. Set aside to cool.

2.Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

3.Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute; remove from heat to cool.

4.Stir the turkey, cooked quinoa, onions, tomato paste, hot sauce, 2 tablespoons Worcestershire, egg, salt, and pepper in a large bowl until well combined. The mixture will be very moist. Shape into a loaf on a foil lined baking sheet. Combine the brown sugar, 2 teaspoons Worcestershire, and 1 teaspoon water in a small bowl. Rub the paste over the top of the meatloaf.

5.Bake in the preheated oven until no longer pink in the center, about 50 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 160 degrees F (70 degrees C). Let the meatloaf cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.

Enjoy! :smile:
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of ground turkey, personally, but I'm sure you'd use it the same way you'd use ground beef: burgers, tacos, meatloaf, meaty spaghetti or meat balls, lasagna, sloppy joes, Mexican casserole, stuffed peppers, rice (or barley) dressing. Plenty of recipes on the oh-so-informative internet.

But...like a previous poster said, why stick to 'ground' turkey. Different cuts can open up a lot more options. And don't snub other lean meats like chicken and yes, pork.

Happy eating!!
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Just a suggestion. I use ground chicken. It doesn't stink when you cook it and due to it's light flavor, it can be seasoned with just about anything you like.
  • wheezybreezy
    wheezybreezy Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I like ground turkey because it's cheap and lean!

I have the recipe in my head now, but I make a sweet potato meatloaf using ground turkey and bbq sauce. It's my fave. We don't buy ground beef just because it costs more and is not conveniently packaged at Costco like the 4-pack of turkey. It's great in stuffed peppers, too. Also, I saw someone post that they just throw it on top of veggies. I do the same with whatever I'm in the mood for. Sometimes, I'll add rice, quinoa, lentils, or beans along with a yummy roasted vegetable like brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes, onions, the possibilities are endless!
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    I make this chili all the time for my lunch, and for pot lucks. It's always the first thing gone, and get's rave reviews. Makes about 10 servings, about 250 calories/serving.

1lb ground turkey
    1 can black beans (no salt added)
    1 can tomato paste (4oz)
    1 can tomato sauce (8oz)
    1 can diced tomatos with chiles (14.5oz)
    3 Tbsp chili powder (more or less, to your own taste)
    1 Tbsp ground cumin (more or less, to your own taste)
    2 tsp cayenne pepper (more or less, to you taste)
    Dave's Insanity Sauce (as much, or little, as you dare); (optional)
    1/2 green bell pepper
    1/2 red bell pepper
    1/2 white onion (about baseball sized)
    1 bottle of beer (lighter beers work best), add enough to thin it out to your desired consistency
  • jamieann804
    Options
    Trader Joes Ground Turkey, one packet onion soup mix, 2 cups quinoa, 3 egg whites, 21 spice salute...make into turkey patties or meat balls...for turkey patties we grill them and serve with avacado/tomato relish in a lettuce wrap!

yum! i will have to try this! thanks!
  • Melissa82434
    Melissa82434 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Brown the turkey meat as you normally would & add your fav type/kind of salsa. Its really good, and adds LOTS of flavor. Play around with adding differenty veggies. I like it over cooked asparagus cooked with worstishire sauce in the skillet. LOVE IT :) (sp) sorry LOL
  • mswonderwoman78
    Options
    Lemon Pepper Turkey Stuffed Green Peppers

1 pkg ground turkey
    1 pkg uncle bens 90 sec wild rice in pouch
    4 green peppers
    lemon pepper seasoning
    Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning
    low-fat mozarella cheese (optional)
    8x8 baking dish

Pre heat oven to 425 degrees
    Mix ground turkey and wild rice with lemon pepper seasoning and Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning. Add as much or as little seasoning you want.
    Cut off tops of cleaned and washed green peppers and stuff each pepper with the ground turkey mixture.
    Bake in oven for 45min - 1 hr on 425degrees. Different temps and oven baking times varies due to oven.
    Add mozarella to the top of each green pepper 5 mins before removing from oven.
  • jamieann804
    Options
    Why ground turkey only? You can get steaks , strips or chunks then it can be marinated, added to chilli, made into a curry, stirfried, made into fajitas, bbq flavoured...... much more choice if you go with a variety of cuts rather than just mince

I don't just eat ground turkey lol But I always have it on hand, I don't like ground beef so turkey is our go to ground meat.