Binge Eating Support Needed

Options
I'm needing some support for my binge-eating disorder.

I've dealt with binge-eating for as long as I can remember. I used to hide food in my room from my parents growing up. My ex-husband didn't know I had a disorder until close to the end of our 7 year relationship. My current boyfriend knows about my disorder, but he always has candy and sweets in the house. I don't go near his candy because he's the one that bought it and I would feel too guilty.

I do tend to just eat random crap in the evenings and on weekends. I do really great throughout the day and even for suppers, but once the weekend comes around or if I'm at home alone I'll binge. I'll make a couple peanut butter and honey sandwiches and just slather both on (I know that doesn't sound bad, but I still feel gross afterwards.)...or whatever I can find in the house. I don't buy junk food very often because I know I'll eat it.

I used to really go overboard by eating a whole pizza to myself plus ice cream and a 2 litre of pop. I'm recovering...and I know I'm doing a lot better than I have before, but it is still really discouraging for me...especially when the scale isn't moving.

How have you guys dealt with a binge-eating disorder?

Replies

• sabrinafothergill
    Options
    Don't know if this will help you,but it has helped me a lot.. When I get home from the store I put everything in to proportions and then into sandwich bags. That way It's all measured out. And I can just grab and go. It's a lot of work but I have to do it or I'll eat a bag of m&m's or chips..
  • LyssaJ1
    LyssaJ1 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Although I've not been a binge-eater, I know there are "Groups" on this site, for those who are actively working to not-binge. You might want to check into some of those.

I've been on the other side, with severe food-restriction, as it's always been easier for me to go without...well, right up until I feint or the migraines would get too bad.

With the help of MFP, and my friends on here, I'm doing better at eating at regular intervals with more-balanced meals.

It isn't always easy, and I've slipped-up and have slacked-off, but I tend to right-myself or get righted with the help of my friends, pretty quick.

Here's wishing you the best :smile:
  • hilarysgiants
    hilarysgiants Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I am sure there are groups on here, but also look in your community for an overeaters annoymous group. They help people who binge eat/bulimia, etc. It is nice sometimes to hear of others struggles and how they deal with not binge eating. Good luck!!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I'm needing some support for my binge-eating disorder.

I've dealt with binge-eating for as long as I can remember. I used to hide food in my room from my parents growing up. My ex-husband didn't know I had a disorder until close to the end of our 7 year relationship. My current boyfriend knows about my disorder, but he always has candy and sweets in the house. I don't go near his candy because he's the one that bought it and I would feel too guilty.

I do tend to just eat random crap in the evenings and on weekends. I do really great throughout the day and even for suppers, but once the weekend comes around or if I'm at home alone I'll binge. I'll make a couple peanut butter and honey sandwiches and just slather both on (I know that doesn't sound bad, but I still feel gross afterwards.)...or whatever I can find in the house. I don't buy junk food very often because I know I'll eat it.

I used to really go overboard by eating a whole pizza to myself plus ice cream and a 2 litre of pop. I'm recovering...and I know I'm doing a lot better than I have before, but it is still really discouraging for me...especially when the scale isn't moving.

How have you guys dealt with a binge-eating disorder?
    Many of us are here because we have eaten too much!
    Or for reasons other than hunger, like stress, boredom, emotions, etc.
    Today, I feel pretty hungry.
    I also feel a bit emotional.
    This combination is making me very concious of what I eat.
    Since I am at home with the children, I am preparing their foods as well.
    Before I started logging everything, I was really overeating!
    Now that I log it, I try to design a healthy satisfying day.
    Have you broken up your mealtimes into 5 meals?
    I think this helps to keep you satisfied and happy.
    It also helps with self-control because you can make yourself wait until the next meal time.

Maintain habits such as brushing teeth and drinking water.
  • gollyd
    Options
    Hi...I was actually looking through the threads for answers to this VERY topic. I do exactly the same thing you do. When I'm at work I do great. When evening and weekends hit....its like I relax totally. Even with my eating. I have been so bad that I have sabotaged my own success. I cant seem to get over this hump. I never used to be this bad....but now when I'm home with the kids or hanging with my husband I just want to snack. It terrible....I know what to do.....I know I need to keep myself busy with other things, chew gum, drink more water......but sometimes (like once a week) I just WANT to lose all self control and just eat anything and everything. I don't even care if it tastes good or not. I have lost all self control and I don't know what to do about it. The thought of food just consumes me.....even when I'm eating well. I am so disappointed in myself.