"Modern" wheat = "poison"

Options
Interesting article: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505269_162-57505149/modern-wheat-a-perfect-chronic-poison-doctor-says/?tag=mncol;lst;1

Quote from article:

Davis said that the wheat we eat these days isn't the wheat your grandma had: "It's an 18-inch tall plant created by genetic research in the '60s and '70s," he said on "CBS This Morning." "This thing has many new features nobody told you about, such as there's a new protein in this thing called gliadin. It's not gluten. I'm not addressing people with gluten sensitivities and celiac disease. I'm talking about everybody else because everybody else is susceptible to the gliadin protein that is an opiate. This thing binds into the opiate receptors in your brain and in most people stimulates appetite, such that we consume 440 more calories per day, 365 days per year."

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Interesting article: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505269_162-57505149/modern-wheat-a-perfect-chronic-poison-doctor-says/?tag=mncol;lst;1

Quote from article:

Davis said that the wheat we eat these days isn't the wheat your grandma had: "It's an 18-inch tall plant created by genetic research in the '60s and '70s," he said on "CBS This Morning." "This thing has many new features nobody told you about, such as there's a new protein in this thing called gliadin. It's not gluten. I'm not addressing people with gluten sensitivities and celiac disease. I'm talking about everybody else because everybody else is susceptible to the gliadin protein that is an opiate. This thing binds into the opiate receptors in your brain and in most people stimulates appetite, such that we consume 440 more calories per day, 365 days per year."

More nonsense from the network TV media outlets.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

Quote from article:

More nonsense from the network TV media outlets.

It wasn't written by the TV media outlets. It was written by a DR, an M.D that has thoroughly researched and many, many doctors agree with him.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Yep, and Dr Oz has an MD too.......:laugh:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of wheat based breads and pasta. Yeesh! I'm afraid I'd waste away to nothing if it wasn't for consuming "440 more calories per day, 365 days per year." Especially when you consider all the extra bloating and abdominal fat I have thanks to drinking diet soda.
  • Kjngrrl
    Kjngrrl Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to debate the science of it, but I can relate to the idea of wheat being like an opiate. At least to me. I read Wheat Belly and that part really resonated with me. Mainly b/c wheat is a trigger for me. I can't eat just one piece of bread or one slice of pizza. If I'm eating wheat based products, I tend to overeat. Doesn't really matter to me the WHY of it -- whether it's genetic opiate-like new protiens in the bread or just a lack of willpower. To me, wheat is my heroin, so I avoid it as much as possible. Sugar too. It's helping me lose weight, I've replaced it with more healthy veggies and I feel satisfied with what I eat. That is the impt. part. Do I eat wheat occassionally? Absolutely. But it is no longer a staple in my diet and I'm better off for it.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I had wheat for lunch. Who's planning my funeral?
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I checked the reference books at my library, here's what I've got on gliadin.

A simple protein occurring mainly in wheat. An adverse reaction to this protein is a feature of coeliac disease.
    -The Crystal Reference Encyclopedia

A water-insoluble glycoprotein present in the gluten of wheat. It is deficient in the essential amino acid lysine. The sticky mass that results when wheat flour and water are mixed is due to gliadin. In some individuals the intestinal mucosa lacks the ability to digest this substance, which therefore damages the intestinal lining and causes gluten-induced enteropathy.
    -Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary

One of the two main components of wheat protein and the one that contains the factor responsible for damaging the intestinal lining and causing coeliac disease.
    -Collins Dictionary of Medicine

a protein of the prolamin group, found in wheat and occurring in various forms (α-, β-, γ-, and ω-gliadins); it contains the toxic factor associated with celiac disease.
    -Dorland's Illustrated Medical Dictionary

(circa 1828) prolamin; especially: one obtained by alcoholic extraction of gluten from wheat and rye.
    -Merriam-Webster's Collegiate(R) Dictionary

Because dietary treatments of celiac disease were of limited effectiveness, the food connection remained a puzzle until the end of the 1940s when a Dutch physician, W. K. ****e, observed that removal of wheat from the diet of celiac patients led to dramatic improvement (****e 1950). It eventually became clear that the efficacy of the various diets recommended prior to ****e's discovery was in proportion to the extent that wheat was excluded from them. Initial fractionation studies pointed to the gliadin protein fraction as being most harmful to celiac patients (Van de Kamer, Weijers, and ****e 1953).
    -Cambridge World History of Food, entry on food-related disorders

In other words, it looks like this protein was discovered to the be the cause of celiac disease in the 1950's. That does not make this a "new protien"... especially since the word itself goes back to 1828.

EDIT doctor's name is d i c k e... lol
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options

Quickly eat some genetic corn and strawberries that will cure you. :tongue:
  • rml_16
    Options

I do have some strawberries in my freezer. Can I have tofu instead of corn?
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I get it. This is the counterpoint to the "Is smoking bad for you" thread.
  • Shock_Wave
    Options

I do have some strawberries in my freezer. Can I have tofu instead of corn?

ONLY if its genetically extra firm and fits in your calorie goals for the day.. :laugh:
  • madmish00
    Options
    I'm going to go and lie in a darkened room and wait to die.

I have eaten cereal, bread and pasta over the last couple of days. Not to mention all the other deadly carbs

And if all of that doesn't get me I'm pretty sure the eggs and dairy will
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    So does this mean I can't eat back my exercise calories in muffins? :sad: :sad:
  • Shock_Wave
    Options

I have eaten cereal, bread and pasta over the last couple of days. Not to mention all the other deadly carbs

Well in your case you might need some mouth to mouth action to cure all that. :bigsmile:
  • rml_16
    Options

I'll join you. We can comfort each other.
  • Shock_Wave
    Options

Maybe I can join you both and it can be a party haha :drinker:

Edit lmao I think its time for me to go exercise for today I have to much energy...
  • rml_16
    Options

Edit lmao I think its time for me to go exercise for today I have to much energy...

You probably should. ;-)
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    This thing binds into the opiate receptors in your brain and in most people stimulates appetite, such that we consume 440 more calories per day, 365 days per year."

At least I'm immune to this thing.
  • Shock_Wave
    Options

You probably should. ;-)

ok ok fine i'm going i'm going.. I was just procrastinating the work out was all... :wink: