Lifting Heavy?

Options

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I do weight lifting. I enjoy it more then any other excersize as I see immediate results. It really is not the weight you lift but the reps you do and proper form. Women and men lift differently. It also depends on what muscle group your doing. The shoulder has three tiny muscles where small weights are better. Such as 10 lbs and reps of 10 x 4.

I work with a trainer so when we do shoulders and back that is all we focus on. I can do 35 lb curls but that is heavy for a woman and I do shorter reps.

Maybe take a look at the reason you wish to do weights. Mine is I want a very long line in the muscle. I do not wish to bulk. I am finding that I like the lines in my calves and my neck muscles have very good definition. Also with my shoulders. I see my biggest change with my weight loss is those areas.

Do I lose alot of weight. No. I really do not. I have 50 or so lbs to go. But I love the power of working with weights.

Barbara

Hoscience

Word. You can't change the length of your muscles. They're a fixed length, attached to bone at either end. If your trainer is telling you you can get "long" muscles, you should probably ask him/her for a program that will make you taller- it's equally as likely a result. Women and men don't need to train differently- it's an idea that is created and perpetuated by magazines and fitness companies that want to increase profits by selling femme-specific stuff- DVDs, programs, supplements, whatever. It behooves these companies to sell you different stuff than your man- there's simply no money to be made from good nutrition and a good compound lifting program. Save your money and buy nice feminine workout clothes that can make you look cute while lifting like a badass!

And for the isolation lifts- if you like them and you're at a point in your training where you understand what they're really doing for you- I don't hate them. I just think they're a waste of time for someone who's a beginner and needs a simple program for strength and fat loss. You can spend the same amount of time doing bicep curls or squats, but the squats work a ton of big muscle groups where the curls work just your biceps. It's simply inefficient for most people's goals on here.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm the odd-woman out, but I DO like isolation exercises like curls, side laterals, yada yada. I use them in conjunction with big, compound power-moves like squats and deadlifts in a 5-day split routine. I don't mean to sound like a bi*ch, but my results the last 8 months speak for themselves, so I refuse to argue with people about this. To each their own.

I do isolation exercises too -- I just throw them in as add-ons. Personally, I was just saying that a routine should be built around the big lifts. (I really enjoy doing bicep curls, and I specifically train up my rear delts on their own because I have a strength imbalance I'm trying to fix).

lol-ok ok ladies. I AGREE 100% that a routine should be built around the big lifts. No disagreement there AT ALL!! Hugs and *kitten*-grabs for everyone!! :heart: :heart:
  • thistimeismytime
    Options
    Oh, btw OP, I in no way meant to imply that a 5-day split is appropriate for you when you're starting out, because it is NOT. I agree with the others that NROLW is a fantastic and very informative place to start!! Best wishes :flowerforyou:
  • nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I do weight lifting. I enjoy it more then any other excersize as I see immediate results. It really is not the weight you lift but the reps you do and proper form. Women and men lift differently. It also depends on what muscle group your doing. The shoulder has three tiny muscles where small weights are better. Such as 10 lbs and reps of 10 x 4.

I work with a trainer so when we do shoulders and back that is all we focus on. I can do 35 lb curls but that is heavy for a woman and I do shorter reps.

Maybe take a look at the reason you wish to do weights. Mine is I want a very long line in the muscle. I do not wish to bulk. I am finding that I like the lines in my calves and my neck muscles have very good definition. Also with my shoulders. I see my biggest change with my weight loss is those areas.

Do I lose alot of weight. No. I really do not. I have 50 or so lbs to go. But I love the power of working with weights.

Barbara

This is nonsense. You are being swindled by your trainer and it will go on and on because you are never going to reach your goals.

Totally. Have a look at the women here who are toned, who have obvious muscle and who don't pay those Personal Trainer's @ some gym's who have done a 20 week online fitness course. There is sooooo much stuff online. Buy an Olympic bar or use one at the gym. I prefer home.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to clarify, I do not think isolation exercises are a waste of time. They are valuable for sure. The bits I was calling nonsense was the muscle lengthening and the women need to train differently than men.
  • thistimeismytime
    Options
    I just wanted to clarify, I do not think isolation exercises are a waste of time. They are valuable for sure. The bits I was calling nonsense was the muscle lengthening and the women need to train differently than men.

Agree 100% :bigsmile:
  • margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    Options

Barbara

This is nonsense. You are being swindled by your trainer and it will go on and on because you are never going to reach your goals.

I agree being swindled by your trainer. What 'three little muscles' are you referring to? Can you name them? I'm interested.

*waits* :glasses:
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

Good information here.

I was hoping somebody would pick up on the 'women need to train differently from men' statement because I've had my wife training with me for the last few months and we do exactly the same lifts with exactly the same form. We obviously have to swap the plates around a fair bit but other than that - same routine

She's getting good results now too
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    "heavy" is relative... just pick a weight that u can do no more than 15 repititions.. just start there. and its true that if you dont lift "heavy" then u wont have enough muscle stimulation to cause muscle growth.
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Hey it will take a bit of trial to find what is heavy for you, and then it will constantly change as you get stronger! It's all part of the fun!

If you can work out your max for 1 rep and then take 75% of it then that is sweet, that doesn't work for me though as I feel I'd need to work with someone professional to find my max 1 and I'm not in that position at the moment!

For me I am currently doing a 5 x 5 programme. So I lift a weight 5 times for 5 sets. Then on the next workout I add 5lb to that weight. If I fail to do 5 X 5 (e.g. I might do 5, 5, 5, 4, 3) then I stay at the current weight until I do 5 X 5, then I increase again.

For me this means I am always ""lifting heavy" (because sometimes it is too heavy to lift!) and I am always pushing forward and clearly tracking progress.

When I started off doing this I picked a baseline to start with based on previous experience. When I did my first set of bench presses I only managed 5, 5, 4, 3, 3 so I lowered that weight a bit next time so I was starting realistically.

Another good technique I use sometimes is if after doing the full set of work with a weight (e.g. a full 5 X 5 or a 12 x 3 or however you do your weights) if you can do one more set (another 5 or 12) then the weight can be heavier :)

Agree with the others re compound movements. Personally I love the barbells; squat, deadlift, bench, row, overhead press. Te standard Stronglifts programme.

Good luck! Great start on lifting weights I'll just say I started doing my first serious work a few months ago and I can't beleive the effect it's had on my body! x
  • thistimeismytime
    Options
    . edited because I'm hyper-sensitive today and really, really need to stay off the forums. I wish ALL you ladies the best with your programs. <group hug>
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I know you were looking for advice as to programs... i think pretty much everyone else got it covered.

In regards to lifting "Heavy", this is a relative term. What may be considered "heavy" for you, might not be considered "heavy" for me and vice versa. I believe (and i could be wrong here) that you should be able to do 8-10 reps, but no more before failure. If you fail before that, its too heavy, if you can do more, it's too light.

There are multiple variations on the above method, but I suggest you go to a gym and just try it out for yourself! :)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    The only thing not allowed are pink 5lb dumbbells :laugh:

What if 5 pounds is heavy!?! :sad:

If 5lbs is heavy, I would hate to see how hard grocery shopping would be!
    "Honey, can you please come pour me a glass of milk- I can't lift the 8lb gallon!"

*Disclaimer- I'm sure there are people that have specific conditions that make it difficult to lift 8-lbs, but they are exceptions to the rule. Most people can lift a gallon of milk.

Now you are taking away my excuse to make my son bring in the milk! :laugh:
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    My 5lb dumbbells are blue, so there. :tongue:
  • AdrienneKaren
    AdrienneKaren Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    My 5lb dumbbells are blue, so there. :tongue:

Mine are green. :)
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Just please - stay off the machines! Free weights are the way to go - even "isolation" moves with free weights engage core and stabilizer muscles. Machines truly isolate and the body is not designed to move that way.

Get your form down first, too... without good form, you are begging for injury and no one wants that.

Now, get out there and pick up heavy things! :flowerforyou:
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    believe (and i could be wrong here) that you should be able to do 8-10 reps, but no more before failure. If you fail before that, its too heavy, if you can do more, it's too light.

Personally, I do a 5-rep program. It's allowed me to see remarkable strength gains. I don't think there's anything wrong with 8-10 reps, I just prefer to stick around 5 on my big compound moves. I mostly only use higher reps (8-10) for my ancillary exercises.
  • piinchi
    piinchi Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love weight lifting. Agreed about compound moves, start out with what you can do with good form and all you can do is go up from there! In addition to the obvious physical benefits, there's something very mentally rewarding about feeling so strong and so powerful. Its addicting in a totally awesome way!

I just wish more women at my gym were into lifting as well. Its typically me in the "weight pit" with a handful of bros and sometimes I just need to rustle up a lot more confidence. But once I get over the initial feeling of "oh crap" I get in there and do my thing like a bad mofo. I am starting to see more and more women venturing over to the weights these days though so it sounds like the word is getting around! :laugh: Do your thing girl, and keep us updated on your progress!
  • piinchi
    piinchi Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    . edited because I'm hyper-sensitive today and really, really need to stay off the forums. I wish ALL you ladies the best with your programs. <group hug>
    I've been reading a few today and they are super aggro for some reason, its just so unpleasant! I'm all about support and encouragement, and your advice (and the rest in this thread) has been excellent. The results speak for themselves - your back look great!
  • jjefferies7
    Options

I agree being swindled by your trainer. What 'three little muscles' are you referring to? Can you name them? I'm interested.

*waits* :glasses:

Front, lateral and rear..