Metabolism checked...1000 cals a day!!!! HOW?

Options
I just had my metabolism measured. She origianlly thought she was giving me too few calories to eat 1300 a day because I wasn't losing, but after being checked it is only 1000 calories a day to lose weight. She said that explained a lot. How am I going to do this? Any ideas? 1300 was managable, but 1000? Ohhh a lifesaver.....mmmm well I guess thats lunch...*sigh* I'm 43 and want to lose 20 pds...I have been trying for 6 months and work out at the gym 3 days a weeek. 45 minutes weights and 45 cardio. I am 5'5 165. sooo Frustrated:cry: !

Replies

• langecornu
    langecornu Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Try Biotin Supplement, It increase the metabolism :)

It is over the counter at any pharmacy
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I just had my metabolism measured. She origianlly thought she was giving me too few calories to eat 1300 a day because I wasn't losing, but after being checked it is only 1000 calories a day to lose weight. She said that explained a lot. How am I going to do this? Any ideas? 1300 was managable, but 1000? Ohhh a lifesaver.....mmmm well I guess thats lunch...*sigh* I'm 43 and want to lose 20 pds...I have been trying for 6 months and work out at the gym 3 days a weeek. 45 minutes weights and 45 cardio. I am 5'5 165. sooo Frustrated:cry: !

What deficit does eating at 1000 calories per day produce?

And who is "she"? What are her qualifications? How was your metabolism measured?

This sounds very fishy to me....
  • boyntoncm
    Options
    I had my metabolic rate measured at the nutritionists office at the hospital with a calorimeter machine. You breath into it for 10 minutes and it will tell you what your resting energy expenditure truly is. My resting calories to maintain were 994 calories. She was very surprised as she thought my problem was that I wasn't eating enough. No weight lose in 6 months. I gain and lose the same pound. But if that's the case it explains a lot. I have been on target eating right and excercising...with no luck.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Resting calories to maintain is 994 - are they saying this is your BMR? And now she wants you on 1000 calories a day total?
  • JustMagpie
    JustMagpie Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I personally have a hard time eating 800 calories, I can't even imagine getting in 1300. I really push to make it to 1000. I think you can do it by just making choices. A steak can be 220. Chose greek yogert, that is high in Protien. I watch the protien to ensure I get a high high amount. I eat about 4 times a day. You can do it!
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I got tested in January via a very similar method. Mine was 864 (or 846 I can't remember). I basically decided that at 5'3, 120 pounds that was just far too unhealthy of a metabolism. So I made the conscious decision to eat more and "fix" my metabolism. I have gained, but I am a lot healthier now...I haven't had it re-checked but I'm nearly positive that it has increased based on how much I am eating and the fact that I'm no longer gaining. I'm basically at a plateau, which is fine because in the long-run I will be healthier.

Oh and I did have a healthy metabolism, until I trained for my first full marathon last year and couldn't eat enough of my calories back. Now I'm training for marathon #2 and will try and re-lose those 5-6 pounds gained resetting my metabolism post-marathon.
  • bodyzen
    bodyzen Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Yeah this just seems sketchy to me.... To be honest, I would get a second opinion. It seems very odd that ANY dietitian or nutritionist would focus on calories alone above actual nutrition and not discuss vitamins, minerals etc. Really sketchy.

I eat upwards of 2000 calories a day (sometimes over 3000) and since it's mostly raw fruits and veggies the weight just keeps coming off. I would slap them if someone told me I had to eat 1000 calories a day! I just love good food too much :P
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I had my metabolic rate measured at the nutritionists office at the hospital with a calorimeter machine. You breath into it for 10 minutes and it will tell you what your resting energy expenditure truly is. My resting calories to maintain were 994 calories. She was very surprised as she thought my problem was that I wasn't eating enough. No weight lose in 6 months. I gain and lose the same pound. But if that's the case it explains a lot. I have been on target eating right and excercising...with no luck.

Ok, so she says you RMR (resting metabolic rate) is 994. Did she work up a TDEE number for you?
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

What method was used to "measure" your metabolism?
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    When I first started on here in February 2012 I only ate 1000 calories a day and what helped me was eating my main meal at noon and then several snacks that are only 100 calories like popcorn and yougurt. Your welcome to look at my diary, look at the months of February 2012 through probably April or May
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    OK, but that's your RESTING metabolic rate, not your TDEE, which will be a lot higher if you don't just lie in bed all day. I'm not sure about where you are, but here, a 'nutritionist' can set up with few or no qualifications and their advice can be more harmful than good. Does she have you aiming for a net or gross intake of 1000 cals? If the latter, your body is probably hanging on to everything it can, in the belief that you are experiencing a time of famine, especially if you are then exercising more calories off! For many people, unless you're very short, a net of 1000 cals would still be very low.

I've just re-read your OP. 20lbs to lose at 165lbs and 5'5" would indicate a much higher net intake to me. I haven't done the maths, but higher than 1300 too, in all likelihood. I'd check your nutritionists qualifications before you take that advice too seriously.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options

Ok, so she says you RMR (resting metabolic rate) is 994. Did she work up a TDEE number for you?

TDEE, with a sedentary lifestyle, for your stats, OP, is 1765, according to fitness frog...
    http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
  • kw85296
    kw85296 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    If your metabolism is that low, I am surprised she is not suggesting that you ask your Doctor about having your thyroid checked. In the meanwhile, sometimes taking Vitamin B-12 helps. It is water soluable, so what your body does not need, it will flush out.
    A lo calorie suggestion for breakfast is, if you have a Sprouts by you, they have a 9 grain hot cereal in their bulk foods that is only 90 calories for a 1/2 cup, mixed with some fruit it is very filling and tasty. Another low calorie breakfast would be egg whites(1/4 c is 30 calories), with Butterball turkey bacon (only 30 calories for 2 slices), and Thomas Light multi-grain english muffin (100 calories).
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Before trying to lose weight I would try to fix my metabolism.....are you a lifelong yoyo dieter?
  • Julesjhj
    Julesjhj Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    You could do a protein shake for breakfast or egg white omlet with tons of veggies. I would also think you would need to eat fairly low carb/high protein to stay full. The rest of your calories could be spread between lunch and dinner. Everyone's body is different and sometimes I feel the best and lose weight more easily when I stay around 1000-1200 calories.....but I also have really high calorie burns on some days. Many days I don't net 1000 calories. Everyone says it's scientific and believes in calories in calories out but I am living proof that does not work for me. Try it for a week or two and see what results you get.:smile:
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I personally have a hard time eating 800 calories, I can't even imagine getting in 1300. I really push to make it to 1000. I think you can do it by just making choices. A steak can be 220. Chose greek yogert, that is high in Protien. I watch the protien to ensure I get a high high amount. I eat about 4 times a day. You can do it!

Not trying to be rude, but how did you end up over weight then?
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and at 165 pounds and working out intensely six days a week I was eating 1700 net calories a day and losing. Now I'm on a more moderate workout schedule, eating about 1400 net calories a day and losing.

I'd go see an actual doctor/dietician to get re-tested and discuss your situation. I could, literally, go rent an office, start seeing people, and call myself a nutritionist tomorrow. There's no rules, degrees, or regulations on who can call themselves a nutritionist. But doctors and dieticians actually go to school and degrees in the fields of study that they work in, and tend to be much better sources of information and assistance.
  • lynn14
    lynn14 Posts: 116
    Options
    Metabolism measured? Never heard that....
    1000 seems REALLY low......I don't think that is wise......
    Might want to get a second opinion...besides all of ours!!!
  • chars2cents
    chars2cents Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm not a nutritionist, however when I was figuring out my weight loss plan, I read that ones caloric intake should not be less than 1200 for women. Have you considered a 2nd opinion or increasing your food intake with healthy choices along with maintaining your exercise for a week or two (as a test)? The change may jump start your metabolism and lose the unwanted pounds. Good luck and keep us posted :-)
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    wish there was a way to get metabolism tested around here...