wheat pasta venting!

Options
2»

Replies

• cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,427 Member
    Options
    I can't stand any of the whole wheat/whole grain pastas either, but I love the Barilla Plus stuff. It's multi grain with added protein and omega-3. I can't tell a difference and neither can my family. I also like the Ronzoni Garden Delights.
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    There is a certain loveliness to white pasta, isn't there?

However, I only eat and buy brown. It has taken years but I like it. It isn't as horrible as it was when I first tried it. But, I am also not a big pasta eater, my husband loves pasta but, eh, me not so much.

Just do whatever will help you succeed. White pasta is what you like?. Go for it :)
  • drbuffdaddu
    Options
    Interesting, I actually genuinely like wheat pasta. To me it tastes and feels heartier than white and I like that. However, I don't eat pasta very often. :/
  • SJSchwartz
    Options
    If you only boil the white pasta to al dente, then it's lower on the glycemic level and not that bad for you.
  • vaughny
    vaughny Posts: 145
    Options
    dreamfields is my fav pasta try it!
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I really like the whole grain pasta. It took a time or two to get used to, but now it is all my husband and I buy when we want to make pasta. We make lasagna, alfredo, spaghetti, etc and really enjoy it.
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Try brown rice pasta!

I totally agree!
  • skinnyminnie
    skinnyminnie Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I think wheat pasta is disgusting too! I tried to like it, but I feel like I can't digest it. I chew it forever and it's still there! I agree wholeheartedly with the earlier post about Barilla Plus, though. As far as taste goes, I like it just a bit better than regular old white pasta and the texture is the same.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I absolutely hated it at first, but now I love it. It really depends on the brand and store brands are terrible in my experience. Barilla Plus and Ronzoni Healthy Harvest penne rigate are both very good in my opinion. It takes some time to get used to it though - so maybe use half white/half whole wheat and then switch over?! I make my own marina sauce most of the time or just throw on some evoo, fresh basil and tomato with a bit of cheese when I'm in a hurry.
  • sunlover67
    sunlover67 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I am a Barilla Plus fan also. Love it! :drinker: Whole wheat pasta?? Not so much. :sick:
  • Nikkerz620
    Nikkerz620 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if anyone recommended Ronzoni Smart Taste Pasta yet but that is all I use and it's not bad warmed back up unlike the wheat which falls apart.

It tastes like regular noodles for me. LOVE IT!!!

You can find it anywhere.

http://ronzonismarttaste.newworldpasta.com/
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I can't taste the difference and I'm BIG fan of bread, the family which pasta is in.

Weird.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I just want to point out that Multi-grain isn't the same thing as whole grain. So, if your goal is to eat whole grains, read the labels!

Edit to add:
    And I agree that it does take time to adjust to a new flavor/texture. If you ONLY eat whole wheat and don't switch back & forth to white, you will learn not to miss it. And for the record, I like whole wheat pasta & brown rice pasta and I'll even eat the Tofu Shiratake noodles that most people can't stand! :laugh:
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I actually like shredded zucchini in long spaghetti strands. With a kick-*kitten* sauce, it allows me to fit in a 250calorie dessert after!
  • megabit2k
    Options
    I have not noticed too much of a difference in taste, I guess because I'm not concentrating on the taste.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Yeah, wheat pasta is pretty terrible. Although I has some homemade buckwheat pasta one time that was delish.