Eat your Breakfast!!!!

Options

Replies

• SMJ1987
    SMJ1987 Posts: 368
    Options
    There've been a lot of studies in the UK, especially on school kids. The kids who ate a healthy breakfast before the morning's lessons had better concentration, better ability to solve problems and more energy throughout the morning. The kids who didn't were generally less engaged, took longer to solve problems and were lethargic. THAT IS WHY BREAKFAST IS GOOD FOR YOU! Without it your energy levels will peak and trough throughout the day.

This follows through into every day life. If you eat dinner at 8pm, by 11am the next day, your body does not have the right fuel to function properly. Why on earth would you go 13-14 hours+ without eating?!

Oh, and the clue's in the name - Breakfast: Breaking the 'fast' from not eating in the night.

You don't think it might have something to do with the fact that the kids who didn't eat a proper breakfast probably came from less privileged homes with possibly less attentive parents?
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    it's because your metabolism slows down while you're sleeping.. and even when we wake up our bodies don't actually know we're awake until we bite into something to kick start our metabolism..

So if you go all day without eating or eating until noon.. your body is gonna be all confused and out of wack.

:laugh:

So... our bodies don't know we're awake then? :laugh: :laugh:
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    The only way that skipping breakfast would cause someone to stop losing weight, is if they got so hungry that they binged in the afternoon. Metabolism does not slow down or speed up during the day.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    HAHAHAHHAHAH!

I only eat breakfast for the peanut butter chocolate chip oatmeal I have every morning.

I will be replacing the cocoa powder with chocolate chips. Why didn't I think of that?!
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is the most important meal of the day because it's traditionally the one most likely to contain bacon.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is the most important meal of the day because it's traditionally the one most likely to contain bacon.

This I agree with. =)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Oh, and the clue's in the name - Breakfast: Breaking the 'fast' from not eating in the night.

Protip: breaking a fast can be done at any time. I ate very few breakfasts while in school and my grades were fine.
    HAHAHAHHAHAH!

I only eat breakfast for the peanut butter chocolate chip oatmeal I have every morning.
    My chocolate shake is the other reason I get out of bed in the mornings. :tongue:
  • Karenmm1960
    Karenmm1960 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I think it is when you are hungry. Personally I am hungry in the morning and like to have breakfast. Just something small.
    I like to snack at night, so I like to save my calories. If you like a big breakfast, go for it. If you don't then that is up to you. Everyone is different and unique. So tried of hearing "eat breakfast" "don't eat breakfast". Eat this and you will lose weight, don't eat this and you will lose weight. That is why my weight has yoyo'd for so many years. I like this site, cause it is not about what you eat, but about how much you eat.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

Lewls.

If you eat your first meal at 9am, 11am, 1pm or 6pm. You are still breaking your fast from the night before. When it's eaten is irrelevant.
  • nurse_jenie
    Options
    I'm just wondering what branch of service you were in that filled your head with that nonsense. I spent 8 years active duty and my SO is currently in the military and we have never heard what you just said. He is very healthy, in shape and does not ever eat breakfast. I do because I wake up hungry and I am the heavy one. I think it just depends on the person's body nothing more, nothing less.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    popcorn.gif
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    There has been lots of `studies` on many ways of eating, this is why we have all the `diet fads` atkins, cambridge, south sea etc.

Also, why we have front pages on magazines of `famous people looking toned/airbrushed` so they sell a lot of copies.

Even lately the whole way the `calorie` has been worked out from the year plonk is in question. ie soft foods against foods that take a lot of chewing/digesting burn more calories has now been brought into question.

There are so many ifs and buts.

I like to eat breakfast, after being asleep and not eating for maybe 12 hours or so, it works for me.

Is it true that it will help my metabolism, then I don`t know for sure, but it works in my everyday life ...but it isn`t for everyone.

I don`t think you can make a sweeping statement just because you got told it/heard it/read it

go for what works for you
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    So, if eating breakfast is so good for you why the *&%$ did I gain 15 pounds during basic.....oh yeah BREAKFAST!!!!!!!!
    how the _____ did you gain weight in basic?

are you sure it wasnt muscle? because the ol "breakast made me fat" shtick is bs
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I just can't get over how people who don't eat breakfast or who fast... are sleepwalking through life. Their bodies just don't know they are awake. :laugh: :laugh:

Interesting BS here.
  • SilkyHotspur
    SilkyHotspur Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    There've been a lot of studies in the UK, especially on school kids. The kids who ate a healthy breakfast before the morning's lessons had better concentration, better ability to solve problems and more energy throughout the morning. The kids who didn't were generally less engaged, took longer to solve problems and were lethargic. THAT IS WHY BREAKFAST IS GOOD FOR YOU! Without it your energy levels will peak and trough throughout the day.

This follows through into every day life. If you eat dinner at 8pm, by 11am the next day, your body does not have the right fuel to function properly. Why on earth would you go 13-14 hours+ without eating?!

Are you sure about that? I suggest you look at some of the literature on Intermittent Fasting. Whether IF is beneficial or not for the average person is debatable, but there are lots of very successful people that practice a 14 or 16 (or other) hour fast every day.

On most days i live IF, just the way it is. There is a simple reason why you have IF. The body stores excess energy as FAT, to be used when glucose reserves run low....by inducing a state of IF, you allow the body to use the FAT for fuel. By eating dinner, then not eating for 12-16hrs, the body will burn FAT, period.

By not creating that condition to allow FAT burning, you have to then mess with macros...TDEE, and attempt to burn calories on treadmills, ellipticals, etc.. when the best FAT burning engine you have is you.

Also....the body is more carb sensitive first thing in the morning, and not at dinner. As you haven't eaten all night, glucose levels have dropped, and your insulin response to carbs in breakfast foods is greater than at lunch, or at dinner.

And who says eating breakfast is such a great thing...Cereal and Grain producers, Dairy farmers, Pig farmers, etc...

In Europe, breakfast..or "breaking of the fast", is a small bit to eat...coffee, fruit...pastry, that's it. Not the typical American feast....it's no wonder people are FAT.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    enhanced-buzz-22086-1331845930-8.jpg
  • 99cherrypie99
    99cherrypie99 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Ok, so your theory on this is complete BS.

That being said, I am a member of the Weight Control Registry, and out of people that have lost and then successfully maintained a significant weight loss, the VAST majority of them eat breakfast.

SO, there is a positive link between being successful and eating breakfast, but not for the reasons cited.

Jen

jenhudsonmosher.blogspot.com

Vast majority? I'm sure it's somewhere near 60%. A higher percentage of people involved in lethal car crashes had breakfast that day.

Skip breakfast - save lives.

Try 78%, Sparky.
  • zoeluiisa
    Options

She's right, there have been a lot of these studies here and overwhelmingly the kids perform better when they've eaten - behave better too. If I had a child I'd make sure they had breakfast every morning.

THAT SAID - I don't eat breakfast, ever ;) I'm not hungry till lunchtime, and I'm not going to force feed myself and waste calories I could be enjoying later.
  • zoeluiisa
    Options

In Europe, breakfast..or "breaking of the fast", is a small bit to eat...coffee, fruit...pastry, that's it. Not the typical American feast....it's no wonder people are FAT.

I don't know if our breakfasts really are smaller, but they're definitely less sugary. Less Pop Tarts and muffins, more porridge and eggs.
  • Scottish_charlene_84
    Options
    I do not have time for a breakfast mon-fri so i just grab a banana. doesnt seem to have did me any harm