Calve Muscles

Options
One of my biggest issues is my calve muscles. If I dance, Zumba, aerobics .... my calf muscle get extremely sore within 5 minutes of my workout. They cramp/lock up a bit. It's enough that I have to often pause my routine and stretch (toes toward body)

BTW - I even warmed up with a 7 minute exercise today and wore my leg warmers - didn't help.

Can anyone help me to prevent this or offer any suggestions? Thank you.

Replies

• cpegasus01
    cpegasus01 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    are you getting enough potassium?
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    bump. this happened to me at my first ballet class last night. my calf muscles cramped up on EVERY position we did on the balls of our feet! Seeing if anybody has advice too
  • TrimAnew
    TrimAnew Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Are your day shoes very different from your workout shoes? Aka, are you in high heels all day and then flats when they cramp?
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Cramping muscles is usually caused by dehydration rather than stretching issues (most of the time anyway). Try hydrating more and make sure you are getting enough potassium which aids in hydration.
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Extra water is just about the only thing that keeps my calves from cramping.
  • janlee_001
    janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    are you getting enough potassium?
    That might just be the issue - I have been drinking my 8+ glasses of water and liquids/day. I will try fueling up on some gatorade and eat foods higher in potassium.

Good suggestion.
  • janlee_001
    Options
    Are your day shoes very different from your workout shoes? Aka, are you in high heels all day and then flats when they cramp?
    No, I pretty much walk around all day barefoot or in flipflops - rarely wear heels. I wish that would solve it. Thank you.
  • avandy83
    Options
    Water, bananas, and drink some pickle juice every day. Just like a quarter of a cup
  • janlee_001
    Options
    bump. this happened to me at my first ballet class last night. my calf muscles cramped up on EVERY position we did on the balls of our feet! Seeing if anybody has advice too
    Oh that is what drives me - I used to take ballet when I was young and was on pointe. Now, being the old lady I am my calves cramp. LOL
  • Serafimangel
    Serafimangel Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I went to physio for this, was told I had overdone it and needed to strech more after. You could also try ice on them post workout or massaging them (or both). To be honest though mine have improved but still hurt every time, will have to try upping my potassium too methinks.
  • coopjg
    coopjg Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Water and bananas
  • AmyParker979
    AmyParker979 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I had that issue in the beginning. Stretching is the only thing that helped. Before and after I'll find a step or a curb and just 'hang' from my toes (letting my heels drop) for up to 5 minutes.
  • wolfwalker67
    Options
    Potassium alone might no be enough. Some times muscle cramps are a result of low calcium levels as well. Try the potassium and if that doesn't work, try taking some calcium with Vitamin D.
  • shicken684
    Options
    Watch the Gatorade since it has loads of sugar. Better off eating a banana or coconut water(any of these options is going to yield you around 100 calories so make sure you add them). What worked for me with my shin splints(caused by weak calf muscles) was stretching after a warm up. Spend 5min doing some light exercise then do your stretches. Once I started doing that my cramps and shin splints have mostly gone away.

If this is your first time exercising in a long time it's just going to hurt for a while. My entire body was sore for two months after I got back in the gym after a decade off.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    water, bananas, much more stretching and get a foam roller.
  • rubyautumn4
    rubyautumn4 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    potassium, water, stretching, no flip flops or high heels, foam roller, calf massage.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I used to wear very high heels (4 or more inches) everyday, and this same thing happened to me when I started in on exercise. If this is the case for you as well, try wearing a shoe with even a tiny heel, such as the kind made by Sketchers, so that the calf muscle doesn't get over extended during your class.

I know that Zumba is supposed to be done barefoot, but if you don't ever wear the shoes outdoors, and they have a non-marking outsole, I'm sure the gym will make an exception for modification purposes.
  • janlee_001
    Options
    I had that issue in the beginning. Stretching is the only thing that helped. Before and after I'll find a step or a curb and just 'hang' from my toes (letting my heels drop) for up to 5 minutes.
    Calciumb - been low on that lately.
  • janlee_001
    Options
    BUT I love my flip flops :noway:
  • starrlette
    Options
    I always cramp up if I'm not getting enough calcium.