cycling my way to get fit

Options
I am 37 and need to lose about 60lbs and i am hoping to do this by cycling. :yawn:

they say that you never forget how to ride a bike but instead of the 3 gears I had as a child I now have 18! that alone is taking a bit of time to get used to. i read some of these posts about people cycling long distances and wonder how on earth i will get that fit - but i know that if i persevere i will get there too.

I want to buy a really expensive designer dress and shoes and thought this would be a good motivation to lose the weight as some designers only do smaller sizes. if i manage to lose this weight then i need a serious treat at the end of it and i think this should do the trick.

if anyone would like to add me as their friend it would make my day!

Replies

• debbie389
    debbie389 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've just sent you a friend's request.

I cycle, the furthest I've been is 60 miles. Usually do a 15 mile loop in around an hour. When I first started riding I would do the ride at about 8mph and it would take forever, but now it's usually around 14/15mph. All you have to do is start slowly and as you get fitter you'll get faster, and will be able to go further.

Deb :smile:
  • tlfoulk
    tlfoulk Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm a novice cyclist, and love to ride. I usually never go more than a couple hours, but you will be surprised how well your body responds and how much your endurance increases. I'm a runner too, but biking is so much easier on the knees and ankles. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do! Happy Trails!
  • umer76
    umer76 Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    I use cross trainer for 40 minutes and sometime take my bike out and cycle for 40 minutes and the difference is clear. The heart rate, the sweating and tiredness between the two is really different. So I agree cycling is the effective way reduce weight. I wish I can do more regularly
  • izzyl75
    Options
    debbie request accepted!

that's impressive! i don't think i've gone more than 7 miles and that was tiring and took about an hour. i did recover quicker and felt better for doing it than the previous time but it just seems to be taking forever.

i am looking forward to getting further and fitter though.

izzy
  • RiotMTB
    RiotMTB Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I took up cycling 4 years ago at the request of a hockey buddy. I am now doing marathon/endurance mountain bike and road races!
    I am in a three day stage race this weekend! It is an awesome way to get and stay fit...but be warned...it is addicting!! You will shed the pounds, you will get fitter; and in no time you will be looking to upgrade your bike! Mostly it is just huge fun!!

Feel free to add me as a friend...the more cycling friends the better!
  • mirthfuldragon
    mirthfuldragon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Careful with cycling - it is a gateway drug. I've logged close to 800 miles this year (since May, with a wrist injury leaving me out of the saddle for about five weeks), purchased three bikes, and actually watched parts of the Tour de France without falling asleep.

My longest is 47 miles this year, on trail. Enjoy yourself, keep pedaling, and welcome.
  • maro_p
    maro_p Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I am cycling to work on a daily basis and do an 11mile round trip. Apart from it being great fun, it makes me exercise daily and avoid the tube. It is a great money saver too!
  • Brengild
    Options
    I started cycling about 5 years ago. I remember the first time I rode 10 mi and it was so hard. Now I ride 30-40 most rides. I have even participated in a ride that crossed our state(approx 500 mi) in a week! Just ride as often as you can and your endurance will build! I am not one for speed, (my daughter and I call ourselves the Turtlegirz) but I am pretty good for distance. I just feel relaxed and happy when I ride, its great for my mental health too!
  • smrtcar
    smrtcar Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    My wife and I rode our first 100km ride this year. Rewarding ourselves with a Chilean wine country bike tour. Set the goal and mash the pedals.
  • BlisterLamb
    BlisterLamb Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Moved to fix quote.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I would love to get back into cycling. I don't know if I will though. Some recent events regarding it have put a bad taste in my mouth.
  • BlisterLamb
    BlisterLamb Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I started cycling about 5 years ago. I remember the first time I rode 10 mi and it was so hard. Now I ride 30-40 most rides. I have even participated in a ride that crossed our state(approx 500 mi) in a week! Just ride as often as you can and your endurance will build! I am not one for speed, (my daughter and I call ourselves the Turtlegirz) but I am pretty good for distance. I just feel relaxed and happy when I ride, its great for my mental health too!

^^^^^This. I remember riding 8 and thinking I was really something. Last August I rode 400+ in just August alone. I'm planning on doing a 100 mile ride on the first Saturday in October. And if you want to know how it affects your weight, check out my pictures in my profile. There's a before and several afters. Have fun and enjoy.
  • Pedalpush
    Pedalpush Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I've been riding off and on for better than 24 years. While I prefer to ride in the dirt, I have spent my share of time on the road. I hope to get back in to it now that my sons are a little older. The more people I see out on their bikes, the more likely I am to get on mine! I think we can certainly motivate each other!
  • tdcibilly
    Options
    i am a road and off road rider
  • rocketass99
    rocketass99 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I love spinning and cycling. On my spinner I log about 20 miles a day. On my bike Im only doing 15-20 miles a week. I have lost most of the weight to day with spinning and crosstraining. Any body interested in putting a page together where we could set weekly goals for cycling?
  • Gapwedge01
    Options
    Good luck and get properly fitted to your bike for injury avoidance and efficiency. A local bike shop is a good place to get fitted or search on you tube and do it yourself.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I bought small clothes for motivation. They were not the right shape when I got to that weight. Maybe save up in a separate account for that dress instead x
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I'm a novice biker. I just got my bike a couple weeks ago and am building up my distance. I hadn't been on a bike in over 15 years because the MS blew out my balance. Now that I got my balance back I'm loving biking. I go out almost every day and ride around town on our bike path. Its just a 2 mile round trip but for now thats fine. I'm not a high energy person due to the MS but the fact that I can do it at all is fantastic to me. I ride a mountain bike because I ride on trails and rough roads, grass etc. I rarely ever go in the street. I'm still worried that I might lose my balance and fall into an oncoming car so I stick to the trails and then the side walk to my house. Its not how much you do its the fact that you do it at all that matters. Enjoy!!! There is nothing like the freedom you feel and the wind in your hair. :flowerforyou:
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Cycling is a fantastic way to get fit and lose weight!!! Welcome to the un-official club!

It gets easier each time you ride. I used to think 10-20 miles was a lot, but now, i ride at least 12 miles a day, just for commuting to work. I used to ride 8-10 MPH, and now i regularly do over 15 MPH, with stretches over 20 MPH. Enjoy your new hobby!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Outdoor biking is great exercise, because if you have any form of hills, or stop lights where you then take off - it's like mini-intervals all the time.

Compared to a Spin class you may not burn as many calories in steady state for same amount of time, you can find you'll spend more time easier outdoors, and since easier to recover the next day again, and since mini-intervals even better at fat burning - you'll find the overall effect is better.

Just be aware on trails, if you just coast along with little peddling for large amounts of trail, all that bouncing can be hard sitting there as bump on a saddle log. Best to keep pedaling.
    Turn most hills into hard interval and recover on top or other side going down, and you'll really make progress and see results.