Tattoo or not to tattoo that is the question?

Options

Replies

• lisa27midd
    Options
    Tattoo. Do it....do it...do it!! I have a large back piece and many smaller tattoos. I love my ink and encourage others to get their own if that is what they wish! Don't listen to the stereotypes...despite what some think, tattoo ink doesn't encourage low morals, drug use, and it definitely does not make you far less intelligent!

DO IT!
  • AimeeCu
    Options
    Greatest advice I was ever given regarding tattoos was by my father. If you think you want a tattoo pick what you want and put it in a box. Come back one year later and if you still want that SAME tattoo you are ready. I waited 3 years and ended up getting the tattoo from the box, 14 years later I still LOVE it. It is a huge commitment and should be a very personal decision. I think so many people assume they can have it removed or covered but that area is never the same. Just pick something true to you and who you have and always will be and you should be good!
  • tempest501
    tempest501 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    i agree with the above ^. tattoos shouldn't be reliant on your body fat percentage (which is bound to change over your life). if you want to get one to celebrate the milestone of how far you've come, that's probably a better reason than just getting down to a certain %. just my $.02. this is a permanent etching on your body. btw, i love tattoos.

That's what I meant its kind of to celebrate the fact that after 10 years of not looking after myself I have finally got sorted. Was thinking of doing it as a celerbration of the human spirit etc as If I can hit this goal will be a major achievement for me.
  • tempest501
    Options
    You should tattoo abdominal definition on your stomach. That way, it won't matter if you slide in and out of that sweet spot on the BF %.

It would be just like the actors in 300, those dirty cheaters.

LOL that made me laugh hard =D
  • tempest501
    Options
    I have 5 tattoos but you should get one only if it means something and only if you know you're going to love it forever. Every one of mine means something, one is even wonky as hell because the guy made a mess of it but i still love it, it might not be perfect but it means a lot to me for what it represents. Even when the rose I have tattooed on my back become wilted as i sag I know i will still love that it is there because of my beloved Grandma.

Sorry for going on about me but hopefully you can see what I mean by the fact you must love it always because it won't always looks as perfect as it did on the first day you got it :)

No need to apologise and thanks for your take on this. =D
  • tempest501
    Options
    A tattoo is something you should already know that you want. Not something you ask others if you should do.

Well I really would like to but my wife is not so sure. Allthought she said If I really want it she will support me. I guess the only thing holding me back really is the worry that after I have done it, it wont turn out how i want etc and then end up not liking it. Maybe I should have been a bit cleared in the post sorry.
  • tempest501
    Options
    Greatest advice I was ever given regarding tattoos was by my father. If you think you want a tattoo pick what you want and put it in a box. Come back one year later and if you still want that SAME tattoo you are ready. I waited 3 years and ended up getting the tattoo from the box, 14 years later I still LOVE it. It is a huge commitment and should be a very personal decision. I think so many people assume they can have it removed or covered but that area is never the same. Just pick something true to you and who you have and always will be and you should be good!

That is really good advice, I may even try that one at least then I know its the one I want.
  • melgunner
    Options
    I have a few tattoos my self and started young. Not all my tattoos have a beautiful story behind them and they don't need to. I like the way they look. I want more and will get some in the near future.

My advice for a first time tattoo is choose a tattoo you want and if you can still want it after some times had passed than go for it. If you have wanted one for a while and wanted to treat your self at goal weight there is nothing wrong with motivation. Back tattoos are my favourite because you can get big pieces with great beautiful detail.
  • K_Smith86
    Options
    I have two tattoos, and am getting a third one by the end of October. Of the two I currently have, one has special meaning behind it, and the other was a random, spur of the moment thing I did when I was a teenager with my best friend. Do I regret it? No. Do I want to change the design? Possibly. The third one I'm getting is in rememberance of my dad who recently lost his battle to cancer. Long story, er, well, not so short, get a tattoo because you want to, and because it means something to you. Get it custom designed, so that way someone else doesn't have the same thing that you do. However, in the longrun, only YOU can decide if you're going to want the tattoo or not.
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Find an artist you really like and work with them to design the tattoo. Look at their work in real life and portfolio. Be brutal with them until you find the right person to do it.

Get the tattoo design and stick it on your mirror, look at it everyday. In a few months time if you still love it then get it :)

I don't have any tats yet but am in the process of getting one designed. I spent ages finding the right guy to do it but am working with someone who really gets where I am coming from and what I'm wanting AND has great quality of work.

Think it is a life time commitment - put some time into doing it right I say.
  • m3dreamer2011
    Options
    I have been toying with the idea of getting one for two years now but my biggest fear is that it wont be as perfect as I imagined. It will be the name of my baby who died and I want it to be flawless.
  • tempest501
    Options
    I have been toying with the idea of getting one for two years now but my biggest fear is that it wont be as perfect as I imagined. It will be the name of my baby who died and I want it to be flawless.

Much respect you bro, I hope it brings you peace. I have the same issue as well worrying that it won't be as perfect as I want. I really hope you get what you want though man, you deserve it.
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    The answer is always, to tattoo. Just take your time researching a good clean shop and a talented artist.

To the anti-tattoo people... na na na na boo boo, stick your head in doodoo.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    if you are headed for prison soon, by all means, get inked up big time. If not, no.

If you have always wanted to work at the carnivals that come to the K Mart parking lots, get some ink first. If not, no.
  • ravengirl1611
    ravengirl1611 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    all of the suggestions are good - to me (I have 2 tats and a 3rd coming when I reach my goals) A tattoo is a part of your soul that you have chosen to allow the world to see. My tats are a part of me in all ways - if I want people to see them they can - but I can also keep them covered - one ex-boss I had didnt think they were very ladylike -

Take the time - and it might be a long time - to find a good and safe artist - you might at some time be able to get it removed if you decide down the road you dont like it anymore but it will be very expensive and there are no treatments yet that will completely remove a tattoo - they are permanent - and coverups are expensive and can be difficult depending on what you had done in the first place

For the design - definately make it something personal

but really think about all of the costs that go along with a tattoo before you get one if thats what you decide not just the money or possible illnesses.
  • 4x4play
    4x4play Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    if you are headed for prison soon, by all means, get inked up big time. If not, no.

If you have always wanted to work at the carnivals that come to the K Mart parking lots, get some ink first. If not, no.

Really??? Tattoos have meaning also. I'm not headed to prison or work at a carnival so not sure why you would classify people with ink like this. You can't even tell I have them but mine have meaning. I know you're entitled to your own opinion but that was stupid.
  • DefyGravity1977
    DefyGravity1977 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    My only and only tattoo is one that my 15-year-old son drew me. It is a simple cross with vines that I want in the middle of my back for all the battles that I have had to overcome. From childhood sexual abuse, to an abusive marriage, and the weight loss. The location will be covered up most of the time and there is a meaningful story behind the tat.
  • ksemien
    ksemien Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    When you reach that goal and it's time, you will know. If you have any doubt, don't do it. Just be sure.
  • msiamjan
    msiamjan Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    We get to vote? I vote no :ohwell:
  • Jonesingmucho
    Jonesingmucho Posts: 4,902 Member
    Options
    I love tattoos...on other people. LOL

I change my mind too much to get anything permanent on my body, so I draw my own tattoos with fine line sharpies. LOL

Scrub them off later.

OP - You should try sharpies. If you draw the same thing over and over in the same spot, then make it perm. Otherwise, doodle away.