Sounds disgusting, but...

Options
jccst9
jccst9 Posts: 58 Member
I had no light mayo or even plain yogurt and I was really REALLY craving tuna salad...

What's a girl to do? So foul. I mixed a full can of tuna with some dill, pepper, and 1/2 CUP FAT-FREE COTTAGE CHEESE! Much to my surprise this actually worked out really well spread on my delicious Brownberry multi-grain Sandwich Thin.

Looking for more less-guilt tuna salad-type recipes.

I still can't believe I ate this...

Replies

• this1bigdog
    this1bigdog Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese really just enchance the flavor of whatever is mixed in...seen it mixed in italian food, and other stuff that normally sounds gross but it does ok ...same with cream cheese(but with all the fat)
  • GeekyGoddess
    Options
    I don't like mayo in my tuna but I love tuna done up like salsa. I mix together finely chipped onion, tomato, carrot, bell pepper, jalapeno and galic and add some lime juice, cilantro, salt and pepper and mix with tuna. Eat it in a lettuce wrap, saves on many many calories compared to mayo heavy tuna on bread.
  • kristi27278
    kristi27278 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Sounds great, I am going to try this week!
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I may have to try that. I like buying tuna but rarely know what to do with it...
  • chonji4ever
    chonji4ever Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I've seen people use mustard instead of mayo to make tuna salad. I'm not rushing to do it myself :)
  • JFroggin11
    JFroggin11 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of Mayo...I use mustard .....but using cottage cheese actually sounds yummy...I put Cottage Cheese on my homemade salads instead of dressing....love it...good protein source too
  • MissMacyLacy
    Options
    I'm not one for cottage cheese but I'm definitely going to try that tomorrow since I was craving tuna salad. Also I usually swap any lettuce with finely chopped spinach. It's Yummy.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I've never used mayo with tuna (it seems like one of those odd 70's American things like jello salads!) but I do like avocado and tuna mixed together -it makes a really good sandwich spread or dip.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I've seen people use mustard instead of mayo to make tuna salad. I'm not rushing to do it myself :)

But it is GOOOD!!! I was skeptical myself - but YUM!

Or a little avocado w/tuna - yum!

Or plain w/pickle slices - even easier!
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options

I do this! My fav is to mix it with some spicy brown mustard and a boiled egg white. So yummy and high in protein!
  • LivingInPuglia
    LivingInPuglia Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I don't like mayo in my tuna but I love tuna done up like salsa. I mix together finely chipped onion, tomato, carrot, bell pepper, jalapeno and galic and add some lime juice, cilantro, salt and pepper and mix with tuna. Eat it in a lettuce wrap, saves on many many calories compared to mayo heavy tuna on bread.

Oh that's the one for me. We do something similar with white fish. Marinate the fish (cumin, garlic, hot paprika, lemon juice) for half an hour. Bake or grill, then flake it all up. Serve with chilli and tomato salsa. Can be wrapped in tortilla but like you I often use lettuce leaves to wrap.

Probably one of my favourite lunches!
  • shan1204
    Options
    I'd add a little bit of Greek yoghurt plus some lemon juice to it with chopped capers, tomatoes, olives, cucumber, red peppers and a bit of chilli.
  • beckssmith70
    Options
    LOL was my lunch forever when in training last time!
    Tuna mixed with low fat cottage cheese and salad on rice cakes! Protein mixed with Protein its great"!
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    If I use mayo with my tuna, I put a very very small amount, like 1/2 tablespoon with every 3 cans I use.
    The mustard and tuna sounds good though, I'll have to try that!
    I could never mix anything into my cottage cheese, except pepper.
  • jiddu17
    jiddu17 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    My husband makes some weird concoction with Tuna. It involves pickles, mustard and Frank's Red Hot.
  • Arexxx
    Arexxx Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Cottage Cheese is very adaptable. ^_^
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Since making my journey I'm a big fan of mustard instead of mayo. I used to do a mixture of both.

I also love tuna with salsa, and I've heard that plain fat-free yogurt can be used in place of the mayo...
  • Vonnie2006
    Vonnie2006 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Fat free veggie dip works well too.
  • dsc32209
    dsc32209 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese is my favorite additive to tuna!!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese really just enchance the flavor of whatever is mixed in...seen it mixed in italian food, and other stuff that normally sounds gross but it does ok ...same with cream cheese(but with all the fat)

Growing up my mom used cottage cheese in place of ricotta in lasagna, stuffed shells etc Couldn't tell the difference and it was something we always had on hand (unlike ricotta)