McDonalds New Item:

Options

Replies

• Moretakitty
    Moretakitty Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    The major chains must do this in Washington, King county where I live and I love it.
    It helps me decide what I am going to eat all the time, not just McDonalds.

The regulation applies only to chain restaurants that:
    Are one of 15 or more national locations
    Doing business under the same name (regardless of ownership)
    Have 80% or more of substantially the same standard menu items at 15 or more restaurants
    All together make $1 million annually
    Are located within another business that may or may not be subject to the regulation, such as chain restaurants within a grocery store

http://www.kingcounty.gov/healthservices/health/nutrition/healthyeating/menu.aspx
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

I don't know if it's a question of expense (how expensive is it to figure out the caloric values of your food items and print new menus?)

I believe it would all have to be certified using FDA standards. so it isn't like they can just plug their ingredients into an online generator. every single item on the menu would have to be tested and certified. the cost would be in the multiple thousands and thousands of dollars.

then what happens when they want to add a new menu item? same deal. and for many local businesses, they use local produce. sometimes different stuff comes in every week, so little tweaks to items happen, new things are added. the cost would be extremely prohibitive for the small businesses.

and, again, take some personal responsibility. do you want them to cut up your food for you as well?
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    oh im glad I can count on my hands the number of times I've eaten fast food.

anywho, I don't think knowing the calorie number will change anything. Those who are trying to be healthy should not be eating at McDonald's, and those who don't care about their body should just... die. lol

Well, I'm healthy and can fit McDonald's into my healthy lifestyle.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    In Canada the calories is printed on the box. And you can get nutritional menus from the cashier. Same with Tim Hortons, Wendy's and Burger King.

It's this way in the U.S. too.
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options

anywho, I don't think knowing the calorie number will change anything. Those who are trying to be healthy should not be eating at McDonald's, and those who don't care about their body should just... die. lol

:flowerforyou:
  • kimberliiw
    kimberliiw Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Arby's had a flier on their counter yesterday which helped me make a decision. I'm sure that a majority of the people eating at McD's don't pay attention to the calories being posted. But I'm also sure that it does help some people make lower calorie choices.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Many people are still gonna get fat and stay fat, big macs taste sooo good!!!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten in McDonald's in at least nine months...

...and now, thanks to this post, I want to.
  • Mindythegreat
    Options
    I'd find this very helpful, if I needed to grab a quick bite from any fast food place. I'd look for the lower cal things to choose from.

It probably won't make much of a difference on the vast population, but what I"m hoping for is that the schools will better educate KIDS on how to eat properly, help them make better food choices...maybe there's hope that the next generation won't have such a significant obesity problem. Show them the difference in food choices from McDonalds...show them the problems with high sodium, etc...I'm already showing my kids by example healthier eating. I hope it makes a difference when they're on their own.

:flowerforyou:
  • wsuduce
    wsuduce Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I eat MCD all the time. Probably more than I would like to admit... but I have always liked how easy it was to find calories and nutritial information on anything they serve.

mmmm McDonalds.
  • SoulNeedsBeauty
    SoulNeedsBeauty Posts: 154 Member
    Options

well, maybe you are not that healthy after all?
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

ah. so you are clearly a member of the Organic Rainbow Lettuce Brigade.

LOL
  • SoulNeedsBeauty
    SoulNeedsBeauty Posts: 154 Member
    Options

LOL

whatever you want to call it, my friend. I'm not ashamed of it =P
  • AmiC0717
    AmiC0717 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I do think it will make a difference to the people who are trying to make healthier choices. I really feel it's important to be informed no matter what the subject is and honestly I don't have time to always pull out the calorie king book from my purse. I'd rather see it right up there in bold next to the menu item. While I have chosen not to eat at McDonalds for a long time I'm not going to kid you, I'd love to have a Big Mac and fries. However, I'm making the choice not too. Sometimes with our busy lives people get into a hurry for one reason or another and maybe if they see those calories they will remember that for the future and make different choices. It sure isn't going to hurt any of us to have it posted that's for sure! :)
  • AmiC0717
    AmiC0717 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten in McDonald's in at least nine months...

...and now, thanks to this post, I want to.

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL yeah me too :)
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

LOL

Feel the rainbow

Suck the rainbow

Pay for the rainbow!
  • asprague917
    Options
    dunno if its been posted yet or not, but mcds has had the nutrition facts on a majority of their boxes for a while, like the fries and nuggets and some of the burger sandwhiches.
  • carneson3
    Options
    It's not only fast food people. I ordered a chicken fajita roll-up at Applebee's thinking I was doing 'OK'...was it the best choice...no, but I really didn't think it was the disaster it was. When I got home I went to log it into my food diary and literally almost fell off my chair...1100 calories!!!!!!!!! Just for the wrap...it was not that big! I just kept thinking how did they get it all into that moderately sized freaking wrap?! It wasn't that great either, which pissed me off even more! If it would have been amazingness on a plate I would have got over it, but it wasn't it was just plain old food. After that I only ordered off of the Weight Watchers low cal menu (HOLY SODIUM BATMAN!). I guess give and take. The more I get into this the more I dread eating out...calorie posting at chain restaurants will make a lot of our lives so much easier!
  • yowla
    yowla Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    They actually have it at the drive thurs here in Michigan. I was mortified to see how many calories were in certain foods there. Especially my Caramel Frappe. :(
  • SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why all the people here are saying it wont stop everyone from going there or ordering the worst thing on the menu. So what? It will help out the people who do care, and isn't that the important thing? Why shouldn't the restaurant put the info up there for transparency's sake? It doesn't hurt anything and it does help some people.