How did you get your spouse to eat better?

Options
I have decided to eat the clean diet, but that is going to take a lot of work. I really don't want to cook for myself then turn around and have to cook for my husband as well. He hates most veggies and throws a kid like temper tantrum if I try to feed it to him, so how can I better myself without pissing him off?

Replies

• meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    my thing is this: usually once a week I try to introduce a new recipe - something I think he will really like, and then he gets all amped about it and the planning of it- or searching for stuff that he likes, or making suggestions of what we should try next. Now, at first, they weren't the "healthiest" of meals - they may have more cheese or other items in them that he liked, and maybe I would just have a smaller portion, and I usually tried to make that on Sunday night, so it was a "special" dinner, but that's what I did- and then I started getting recipes off MFP, and trying those ones- so now he looks forward to "special Sunday Dinner" even it it IS a healthy food- since he's trying something new- which my MIL is absolutely amazed at the things I've been able to have him eat- since he simply wouldn't "try" new foods before. lol
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Tell him to grow up. Either eat what you cook, or he can cook his own.

I guess you could also sit down and have a heart to heart with him. Explain why you need to make this lifestyle change for yourself, and tell him how much you need and value his support.

But in the end when it comes down to eat, you either eat what is cooked for you or cook your own. That's how it works in my house anyways.
  • blonde20fan
    blonde20fan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    If he is like my husband, You can't!!!! I just cook 2 meals, one healthy one for me and the crap for him. If I don't he is a #beep hole!! I am a stay at home mom and he makes the money so this arrangement works for us. You might work and not have time to make 2 meals. Maybe you can sneak in clean foods and he won't know the difference. Like turkey meatloaf or whole pasta instead of regular. Good Luck!
  • meeper123
    Options

I guess you could also sit down and have a heart to heart with him. Explain why you need to make this lifestyle change for yourself, and tell him how much you need and value his support.

But in the end when it comes down to eat, you either eat what is cooked for you or cook your own. That's how it works in my house anyways.

I would if h wasn't in the military and thus working around 12 hours a day. That would be pretty harsh. I guess I can talk to him as eating better would be good for his goals as well maybe we can find some even ground
  • meeper123
    Options
    If he is like my husband, You can't!!!! I just cook 2 meals, one healthy one for me and the crap for him. If I don't he is a #beep hole!! I am a stay at home mom and he makes the money so this arrangement works for us. You might work and not have time to make 2 meals. Maybe you can sneak in clean foods and he won't know the difference. Like turkey meatloaf or whole pasta instead of regular. Good Luck!

thanks good idea it is just veggies he doesn't like I guess I could always make the veggies for me and give him the veggies he does like
  • meeper123
    Options
    my thing is this: usually once a week I try to introduce a new recipe - something I think he will really like, and then he gets all amped about it and the planning of it- or searching for stuff that he likes, or making suggestions of what we should try next. Now, at first, they weren't the "healthiest" of meals - they may have more cheese or other items in them that he liked, and maybe I would just have a smaller portion, and I usually tried to make that on Sunday night, so it was a "special" dinner, but that's what I did- and then I started getting recipes off MFP, and trying those ones- so now he looks forward to "special Sunday Dinner" even it it IS a healthy food- since he's trying something new- which my MIL is absolutely amazed at the things I've been able to have him eat- since he simply wouldn't "try" new foods before. lol

I like that idea :)
  • SarahAFerguson
    SarahAFerguson Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Well,mid he is going to behave like a child then treat him like a child. Hide the veggies in other foods. Try out a cookbook called Deceptively Delicious or others like that. I steam and purée up all sorts of veggies and mix them in to various dishes.
  • haleydself
    Options
    I have the same problem... I ended up telling him that I couldn't change without his help. After he felt like he was supporting me, and "coaching" me through my weight loss, it was a lot easier to introduce him to new, healthier foods. I try to let him pick his breakfast and lunch on his own. But for supper, we all eat healthy.

My favorite thing to cook? (and his).
    Baked trout!
    I sprinkled a little olive oil on some aluminum foil, and a little bit of parkay squeeze butter.
    Put the trout on the foil, skin down.
    Sprinkle lemon juice, pepper, salt, minced garlic on top.
    Slice a tomato, and place a slice or two on top of fish.
    Fold the foil up into a little bag for the fish.
    Bake on 350 for maybe 10 minutes? Just long enough to cook all the way through.

It is VERY juicy, and sooooo delicious/healthy!!! You should try it :)
    I like to serve it with some broccoli and cheese steamers you can buy in the frozen section! Still good, but it's healthy and low cal!
    Also a quick meal.
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    What is a 'Clean' diet? I'm not eating anything particularly special myself, and am doing alright.

I suppose I'm fortunate, my husband is not a fussy eater, and he eats pretty much what I'm eating. It also doesn't hurt that he decided to join me this year, working with the same trainer.

If your husband hates "most veggies", is there a particular reason? I know when he was growing up, my husband's mom's version of cooking was to cook something until it was done, and then cook it more for good measure. No one likes mushy, greyish veggies. What are the veggies that he does eat? It could provide a starting point, but you will need to be prepared for the possibility that you might not be able to get him to extend his tastes. I have a friend whose husband is also the same way, and she's just learned to live with it.

We eat a lot of casseroles, salads, stir fries, and oven roasted veggies. Zucchini, asparagus, onions, mushrooms and peppers in a rough dice, tossed in a bit of olive oil with some herbs and spices is a simple, tasty and easy to prep side dish that I use a lot. There's also things I do with spaghetti squash. I'm not sure what kind of availability you have up in Alaska though.

In our case, its generally lots of lean proteins and various vegetables. If he doesn't want to meet you half way, you should be able to at least agree on a protein for dinner. If you can batch cook and freeze the sides, then it's just a case of popping out the one he likes for him, and doing your own thing to stick with your plan. Not ideal, but you're only doing the prep once a week or every couple of weeks.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Don't cater to them, you are not Burger King (your way right away). If they want to eat other food, they need to shop for it and prepare it for themselves. Or just cook naked. =)
  • meeper123
    Options
    What is a 'Clean' diet? I'm not eating anything particularly special myself, and am doing alright.

I suppose I'm fortunate, my husband is not a fussy eater, and he eats pretty much what I'm eating. It also doesn't hurt that he decided to join me this year, working with the same trainer.

If your husband hates "most veggies", is there a particular reason? I know when he was growing up, my husband's mom's version of cooking was to cook something until it was done, and then cook it more for good measure. No one likes mushy, greyish veggies. What are the veggies that he does eat? It could provide a starting point, but you will need to be prepared for the possibility that you might not be able to get him to extend his tastes. I have a friend whose husband is also the same way, and she's just learned to live with it.

We eat a lot of casseroles, salads, stir fries, and oven roasted veggies. Zucchini, asparagus, onions, mushrooms and peppers in a rough dice, tossed in a bit of olive oil with some herbs and spices is a simple, tasty and easy to prep side dish that I use a lot. There's also things I do with spaghetti squash. I'm not sure what kind of availability you have up in Alaska though.

In our case, its generally lots of lean proteins and various vegetables. If he doesn't want to meet you half way, you should be able to at least agree on a protein for dinner. If you can batch cook and freeze the sides, then it's just a case of popping out the one he likes for him, and doing your own thing to stick with your plan. Not ideal, but you're only doing the prep once a week or every couple of weeks.

its basicly an organic diet nothing that has more than 3 ingredants and must be things you can say lol lots of veggies, organic meats and fish, and whole grains
  • MDWilliams1857
    MDWilliams1857 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I do the cooking in my house and its very simple. The wife and kids will either eat what I cook or go hungry. Its that simple.
  • meeper123
    Options
    Don't cater to them, you are not Burger King (your way right away). If they want to eat other food, they need to shop for it and prepare it for themselves. Or just cook naked. =)

heheheheh
  • meeper123
    Options
    I do the cooking in my house and its very simple. The wife and kids will either eat what I cook or go hungry. Its that simple.

yeah I guess I need to invest in some ear plugs lol
  • jessc4343
    jessc4343 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    have you tried the airplane method? that's worked on a few of my kids...
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options

I would if h wasn't in the military and thus working around 12 hours a day. That would be pretty harsh. I guess I can talk to him as eating better would be good for his goals as well maybe we can find some even ground

Nope, sorry. Getting him to eat healthy is not harsh, and certainly he has seen or been through worse. If he whines, just tell him that "dammit, I like you and want you around longer, you *kitten*". Diffuses the arguments in my house, because the hubby inevitably rolls his eyes and laughs at me =)
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Have him cook his own dinner. If he's throwing temper tantrums maybe it's time he stops acting like a child and learns how to do grown up things?
  • danger_kitteh
    danger_kitteh Posts: 301 Member
    Options

This.

I cook the dinners. If you don't like it well, breakfast is a long ways away....
  • amazing_shrinking_woman
    Options
    Same way you sneak veggies to kids: grated carrots in with macaroni, chopped up green veggies in the meatloaf. Moral of the story: if he can't see it he cant' b!tch.