Healthy HIGH CALORIE Foods

Options
My 10 yr. old takes Adderol(sp? she takes a generic) for her ADD. She has responded incredibly well. The only issue is decreased appetite. My kids eat very healthy and I pack their lunch everyday. I need to find some ideas for high calorie foods to pack and have handy.

Also, peanut butter is not allowed at school. She can't drink enough to get down the carnation instant breakfast. I was making pudding cups with whole milk, but she is rebelling against pudding.

Please no anti-pill comments. My daughter likes taking her med. She now is able to go to school free of anxiety and be a more functional kid.

Thanks for any ideas!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• bodyzen
    bodyzen Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Bananas are healthy packed with vitamins and high in calories, dates are up there too... Maybe avacado but not everyone is a fan unless it's in guac. Orange juice is a good way to get in a lot of calories easily too! Juts make sure it's with pulp (fibre). :D
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Bump. Need this because I am trying to gain weight but here is what I do.

Whole wheat bagels.
    Pasta with beans.
    Protein bars (they make ones for kids).
    Frozen yogurt.
    Smoothie mix in milk and banana.

PEANUT BUTTER!!!
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Definitely things I hadn't considered!
  • AReasor
    Options
    We love pb! Unfortunately, the school has a peanut butter ban and certain classrooms have a wider ban on all things nut related depending on allergies.
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    If peanut butter is not allowed, can she bring other nuts, like almonds or cashews? Any nut really is pretty packed with calories. It's so easy for me to eat over calories if I don't watch it with nuts. Or maybe something like sunflower or pumpkin seeds?

Edit to add: Maybe also dried fruit. I think it's easy to eat quite a few dried apricots because they are so small compared to the hydrated fruit. I like things like this from the bulk bins - dried mango, mixed fruit and trail mix or banana chips.
  • adietron
    Options
    I second the Avo motion.

Are any other nuts allowed at school? Raw mixed nuts have heaps of cals... 20 grams (which would just fit in the palm of a 6th grader) is about 150 cals.

Some granola bars are surprisingly calorie dense too, check the label.

Dried fruits are good too. A bit high in sugar though, but I feel better about eating dried pineapple than a Snickers bar ;)
  • jesekelynne
    Options
    My kiddo is on Adderoll also, but we aren't worried about him not eating...He's a big kid! Have you tried getting a good breakfast into her before she takes her meds? I'm thinking eggs, whole weat toast, and fruit...Also she will probably be hungry when she crashes. Is she on XR or does she take a second dose at school? Check out her crash time and offer the higher calorie foods then, maybe.

One thing I try to add into my diet that is high cal but so yummy is avocado, if your daughter will eat it (I work out just to have some!). I just add a little bit of salt and I'm good to go. They sell slimcados, but I'd go with the real thing for her :)
    My kiddos can't have nut products either, but they all like Sunny Butter, which is made from soy nuts.
  • AReasor
    Options
    Thanks for the great advice. She is on extended release but we may change that soon. I can get her to eat first thing with her med (today was homemade biscuits, butter, and honey). She came home from school, I checked her bag and realized she had eaten 4 strawberries ALL DAY. I was able to get her to eat most of her dinner and muffin later.

I have to be real careful with her. She is very short and fit for her age. She loses 2lbs. and the kid has a six pack.