Tattoo or not to tattoo that is the question?

Options

Replies

• magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I would wait until you're no longer on the fence about it. Also, wait until you find a piece of meaningful art that you love, and love a month after you chose it before you get it permanently on your skin. Don't just go in, look at the wall and chose something!
  • hpoddan
    hpoddan Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Always yes to a tattoo!!! That is my reward once I hit my goal weight because I want it up my side and down my thigh (it's going to be a big one), but make sure that it has meaning and represents why you're getting it :) That way if you ever start to slip up you have a permanent reminder!!

This was also my best friend's reward to herself when she lost 65 pounds...so we are a little addicted to the ink...I may be biased!
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I am toying with the idea of getting a tattoo when I reach my body fat target. I have never really wanted to do anything like this before and can't decide and love to know what you guys think and any ideas for something a bit different . I am aiming to get lean and bulk up. At 18% now and aiming for 10-12% and see how I look.

think about it for a year if you still want it then get it :)
  • CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I love tattoo's.. I have 8 and want more... but with EVERY single tattoo I think loooong and hard before getting it done. If it's going to be there for the rest of my life I better absolutely LOVE it. If you want to reward yourself with a tattoo just be 100% its what you want.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    If you don't know for sure then you already know.
  • oliv2065
    oliv2065 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I plan on getting tattoos when I reach certain weights as a reward. I love tattoos I have five already.
  • arellolson
    arellolson Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    If you want a tattoo to celebrate your weight loss, then by all means get one!
  • MichelleL2016
    MichelleL2016 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If you want it, do it! I've got two and I love them! Just make sure it's something that you won't regret too much in the future ;)
  • oliv2065
    oliv2065 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    if you are headed for prison soon, by all means, get inked up big time. If not, no.

If you have always wanted to work at the carnivals that come to the K Mart parking lots, get some ink first. If not, no.

I have five tattoos, am half way through a masters degree, and have a job with the state. I will give you this, I do work in a prison. I am moving my way up into law enforcement. Oh and I have piercings too. You can be successful and have tats
  • xoTammyox
    xoTammyox Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I also vote no :noway: . I myself don't like them. Why would you work so hard to make a beautiful body and then want to write on it? But like everyone has mentioned it's your body you should do what you want. :bigsmile:
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I am toying with the idea of getting a tattoo when I reach my body fat target. I have never really wanted to do anything like this before and can't decide and love to know what you guys think and any ideas for something a bit different . I am aiming to get lean and bulk up. At 18% now and aiming for 10-12% and see how I look.

think about it for a year if you still want it then get it :)

yep, this is my advice too. i waited 6 years after i first decided what i wanted, and don't regret waiting at all. i was really, really sure, hahaha. a year is probably a good time frame though... if it's your first one and you are not entirely sure, that is a good amount of time to do research and make up your mind. and really, a year goes by so fast.

another tip i heard somewhere is to hang the artwork you want on your mirror for the year - that way you have to look at it every day - and you will find out quick if you really love it!
  • drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I'm toying with the same idea. Go for it! You deserve it.
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    When (not IF, WHEN!) I reach a size I'm happy with, I'm going to get my highest weight tattooed on my hip. So if in the future a I start getting a little muffin top that tries to hide that number, I'll remember to get back on track so that I can see that number again but also NEVER see that number again ;)
    OMG, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this idea!!!!
  • Justa_Paperbag
    Justa_Paperbag Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm sitting here in a t-shirt that my artist gave me that says "Tattoo saves your soul," so I'm probably not one to ask. However, having had a tattoo that I didn't love covered up, I will say that you should take the time to think about what you want - if you want to get it, it's one thing. Choosing what you get is another. Get something that means something to you - work with a reputable artist who will work with you to customize a design. I'm sure it's true for others, but in my own experience, choosing something out of a book or off of a wall just doesn't make me happy - I want something that means something to me.
  • loriirol
    loriirol Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    my tattoo makes me feel prettier and more confident. I was going to wait to get it, but just went for it anyway. Seeing the fat on my arm surrounding my beautiful flowers inspires me to go to the gym more often.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Assuming I finish (which I'm pretty sure I will), I'll be getting a 70.3 tattoo after the 2012 Miami 70.3 in October!!

A little above my knee on the outside of my leg seems like a good place.
  • vampyr71
    Options
    After reading a lot of these posts it appears you have answered your own question. When in DOUBT, don't do it.

I have three myself and they all represent something personal to me. One I would have the real thing back than the tattoo in memory. Each colour and each line means some thing in itself.

It is a very personal choice and not one to be taken lightly as it is for life, yes they can be removed via laser treatment but you have more scaring than the art.

Don't do it just for the sake of doing it. I know ppl who HATE the designs they have, tried to change them with more art work and HATE them even more.
  • sabolfitwife
    sabolfitwife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I just got my first tattoo on Monday. I've wanted one since I was 16, but I've always been too chicken because I thought I couldn't handle the pain. I'm not really sure what got into me that day, but I just up and decided that I was finally going to get it done and I did!! I don't look at it as a "reward" as I'm not at my goal (though I have lost 33 lbs which is awesome!!!), I look at it as a visual reference to how strong my body and mind are. It's a heart on my wrist, an every day reminder that I love myself enough to want to be healthy and take care of myself :-)

That being said, I agree with the above postings. If you're on the fence about it and it's not something you've given serious thought to, definitely think on it some more. It is permanent and will forever be with you!!! Good luck to you though :-)
  • rickydeuce717
    rickydeuce717 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My father always said if God wanted you to have a tattoo he'd give you one.

My friend passed last year at 37 (undiscovered heart condition). At his memorial ride, there were raffles, one of which contained a gift certificate for $100 at a tattoo place. I won the raffle.

So I proceeded to tell my father that God let me win that raffle, so I got a tattoo and love it.

We were both Marines, so I got a USMC with his police call number on a banner through it. It's very personal, not just for ink.
  • FittingIn
    FittingIn Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend against getting a tattoo. Celebrate your goal but don't make a permanent decision like this which is very hard to undo if you change your mind.