Green Tea

Options
Have been thinking of starting to drink Green Tea and wondered if any of you drink it and have noticed any benefits from it?
I know it's meant to be really good for you and great for weight-loss and over-all health, but would love to hear first-hand from you guys :wink:

Replies

• garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    All I know is it makes me drink more 'water' bc otherwise.....
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I don't think it makes sense as a "weight loss strategy". Yes, it has antioxidants and other good stuff. If you like it, drink it, but I wouldn't count on it to accelerate your weight loss unless you are using it to replace some sugary drink.
  • Sailorwind
    Sailorwind Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I love green tea. Not only is it caffeinated (normally) and taste delicious, but I find it always soothes an upset stomach and often times helps with my headaches. Plus, tea in general is good to drink because it's hot and soothing and opens up airways and expands blood vessels. In fact, one of my coined sayings is "tea makes everything better".

Green tea tends to have a slightly bitter after taste, though, so if you're not used to straight tea you might want to add some sweetener or really some honey.
  • dawLs
    dawLs Posts: 84
    Options
    i used to drink it a lot.
    im not really sure it did anything other than curb my craving for snacking if im bored. i feel like that can happy with any hot beverage tho.
    a word of warning: dont drink it on an empty stomach! every time i have tried that i puked my guts out!!!
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Antioxidants & caffeine. Not a magic potion.
  • Sheckypie
    Options
    drink it because you like it not because it could "help" with weight loss.... i drink all teas all the time... I will say this though plain tea has helped clear up my skin haha
  • leska1216
    Options
    drink it because you like it not because it could "help" with weight loss.... i drink all teas all the time... I will say this though plain tea has helped clear up my skin haha

Absolutely, drink tea because you want to/like it and not for any magic weight loss. That way you wont' be disappointed. I drink a lot of tea during the winter months. Keeps me warm while reading and watching TV!
  • Felix548
    Felix548 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I drink green tea with vanilla which is really nice, I tend to drink it instead of tea. I haven't found any magic weight loss - the only thing would be is that you are cutting out milk and sugar (if you have it) so initially you might loose an extra pound. The other herbal teas that are really good are peppermint tea which helps digestion and chamomile tea (but it is an acquired taste!). Hope this can help!
  • TheSink
    TheSink Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    After reading some of the articles on research done on diet soda, I've done my best to replace diet colas with green tea. I'm unfortunately hooked on the caffeine. I'm not a fan of the taste, but I'll add a lemon tea packet to the green tea and it cuts the bitterness some (rather than adding honey). Personally, I think if you're trying to lose weight, replacing diet soda with green tea, or any caffeinated tea for that matter, makes a lot of sense.
  • spozzybear
    spozzybear Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone - you have all defintitely given me food (or tea) for thought! :happy:
  • gogogulliver
    gogogulliver Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I make up a batch of cold-brewed green tea each day... basically leave a teabag in a big jug of water and in the morning you have slightly sweet, refreshing green tea without the bitterness. Lovely stuff. Very refreshing. It tends to be quite strong, though, so I add a little water to the glass and usually top the jug up, so it keeps going throughout the day.

There are various studies that link health benefits to tea (black, green and white) but mostly it's just tasty.
  • spozzybear
    Options
    I make up a batch of cold-brewed green tea each day... basically leave a teabag in a big jug of water and in the morning you have slightly sweet, refreshing green tea without the bitterness. Lovely stuff. Very refreshing. It tends to be quite strong, though, so I add a little water to the glass and usually top the jug up, so it keeps going throughout the day.

There are various studies that link health benefits to tea (black, green and white) but mostly it's just tasty.

Yum! Thanks for the tip! That will be a tasty cool drink to survive the Aussie summer!
  • littlecar1
    littlecar1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Try white tea, I find it less bitter than green tea. I don't think either of them particularly help with weight loss other than saving a few calories as I don't put milk in like I would with normal tea.
  • laurrens
    laurrens Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    i wouldn't say that drinking green tea is gonna help you shift the pounds, i think you can burn like 4% more calories if you drink 3 cups a day.

all i know is it is healthy and good for you, makes you feel better, has helped my skin lots!!!

i think green tea is fab.

saying that it has taken me 6 months to get past the taste!!

good luck!
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Ancient Chinese proverb: "Better to be deprived of food for three days, than tea for one."

It is one of the best things you can put into your body!

I started drinking it three years ago for weight loss as I kept reading that it helps, and at the time I hated the taste and thought it tasted of dirty water :laugh:

I soon found my body craving it though, and now I drink it for the health benefits, for the clear skin, for the effect it has on my tummy, for how it banishes my cellulite etc. When I drink it the whites of my eyes are so clear etc...lots of little things make me KNOW that it does me good x
  • Effpcos
    Effpcos Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I love my green tea. Buy a good quality organic one, put a little cold water over the bag (or loose leaf) first, and only brew it for 3-4mins max and it SHOULDN"T be bitter. I love mine with crushed fresh mint, and a squeeze of lime or lemon juice. It's really nice cold too.
  • samanthagreen3
    samanthagreen3 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    i have been drinking green tea for years and love it. By it's self it can be a bit bitter. Do not let the tea bag sit! you literally dip it in, give it a swirl and then remove! I drink Twinnings green tea with orange and lotus flower, no bitter taste! (its lovely!) i love the orange blossom! I'm not sure you can get it in Aus because i've never been there (Im from UK) but maybe they do something like it?

Also when i first started drinking it i could have sworn it helped my weightloss but i was drinking about 2 litres a day. Looking back, maybe i just thought it was helping, i will never know. Try green tea and if you like it drink it, you could try other herbal teas as well?
  • spozzybear
    Options
    As always, great advice from my fellow MFPers :wink:
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Love jasmine tea ! The taste & SMELL is wonderful ! Don't leave tea bag in more than 2mins or it does get bitter.