cycling my way to get fit

Options

Replies

• MsVeeFletcher
    MsVeeFletcher Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Do you notice if your run is slowed down the first couple of lapses when transitioning between cycling and running?
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Awesome- I just started biking earlier this year and was pretty winded just rolling around my neighborhood and now I am doing 20 mile runs regularly and have gone as far as 50 miles. I'm planning to do a 100 mile ride next April for Diabetes.
  • JenSpinnaChick
    JenSpinnaChick Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm sending out as many request as I can, so if you want to add me feel free...I finally found a post that feels like home!!! I've been a spinning instructor for 4 years now and just recently (the last 4 months) have taken to the road and I love it!!! The longest ride I've done to date is a 100K, I also completed my first triathalon last month
  • 321poppi
    Options
    I'm right there with you - I've added cycling to my life and and trying to work up to biking to and from work daily - (15miles each way) right now, I'm parking the car about 5 miles away from work, and its been great. next week I'm going to do 10 miles /each direction. I have about 75 pounds to lose. mfp really helped me before. being "public" with what I eat and how much I exercise keeps me accountable. Tracking calories in and calories burned also helps with keeping that doughnut out of my hands. I am looking for people to keep me on track & motivated, so, feel free to friend me.
  • TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I started riding last April (2011), with a three mile ride and about died. I've ridden 9800 miles since then, and dropped over 100 pounds. Still have lots to lose.

Feel free to add me if you need more friends. Best of luck with your riding.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Do you notice if your run is slowed down the first couple of lapses when transitioning between cycling and running?

Sure, gotta get some of the slightly different muscles engaged at the same time you are engaging some pretty tired muscles. That's why useful to run slowly at first, otherwise you can have a problem.
  • izzyl75
    Options
    oh i don't run. my knees can be bad so doing the cycling as less impact on them.

i can't believe the support out here - it's amazing :smile:
  • Rodap9631
    Rodap9631 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    been cyccling since i got my new avanti carbon bike 6 months ago. though not hardcore yet I have lost 15 kgs. I am sure my short once or twiice a week ride has contributed. Ive got down to a 21% BMI and cycling definitely helped. And yes it is a bit addictive particulalry when you go in a group as I try to do on a Saturday morning for a ride that takes about 2 hours the fast riders do it much quicker though add me as a friend if your interested in cycling cheers Rod
  • cottoncloud
    Options
    this site is wonderful i just joined today and I've made so many friends, I also think cycling is a better idea than running, but don't neglect your diet as well. Eating healthier and exercising is the optimal combination.
  • s_bell2012
    Options
    I am 37 and need to lose about 60lbs and i am hoping to do this by cycling. :yawn:

they say that you never forget how to ride a bike but instead of the 3 gears I had as a child I now have 18! that alone is taking a bit of time to get used to. i read some of these posts about people cycling long distances and wonder how on earth i will get that fit - but i know that if i persevere i will get there too.

I want to buy a really expensive designer dress and shoes and thought this would be a good motivation to lose the weight as some designers only do smaller sizes. if i manage to lose this weight then i need a serious treat at the end of it and i think this should do the trick.

if anyone would like to add me as their friend it would make my day!

You can do it by cycling. Ive lost 64lbs so far and it's all down to healthy eating and lots of cycling. At first i struggled to even get on my bike and go for a 5 min cycle. Now after 5 months I am regularly doing 70-90 minute cycles up some very big hills. I have also just signed up for a 58 mile charity bike ride at my work. Persevere it does get easier trust me
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    I am 37 and need to lose about 60lbs and i am hoping to do this by cycling. :yawn:

they say that you never forget how to ride a bike but instead of the 3 gears I had as a child I now have 18! that alone is taking a bit of time to get used to. i read some of these posts about people cycling long distances and wonder how on earth i will get that fit - but i know that if i persevere i will get there too.

I want to buy a really expensive designer dress and shoes and thought this would be a good motivation to lose the weight as some designers only do smaller sizes. if i manage to lose this weight then i need a serious treat at the end of it and i think this should do the trick.

if anyone would like to add me as their friend it would make my day!

I'm 49 now, started back into cycling around 13 months ago - weighing 397lb - first ride was 7 miles, took me nearly 50 minutes to complete and 2 hours to stop looking like an extra from sesame street afterwards (i.e. - all purple and hairy and with big sticky-out eyes!)

This month, I've ridden 325 miles already, longest ride 68 miles in 4h16m, I weighed in last friday at 250.3lb, and earlier this month I passed the 5,000 miles distance on my bike - that's nearly double the mileage I've done in my car in the same period!

It's not an exaggeration to say it - cycling has probably saved my life. I've still got a way to go - at least another 40lb's but I know that one things for sure, cycling is going to feature heavily on the journey :smile:
  • TheGeordie
    Options
    Hey ,

Im exactly the same, 3 months ago I bought a mountain bike and recently a road bike. Ive just completed 500 miles and lost 15 lbs (I lost 5 lbs before discovering MFP), my friends and I are out almost every night and I have a short circuit I do in 20 minutes including a 150 ft hill climb if Im pushed for time. I also found an amazing app that I use to track my efforts: www.runtastic.com check it out and add me on there (username Phil Hunton).

The best bit about thee cycling is the people you will meet, I go out and end off chatting to older cyclists that really know their stuff and on the mountains younger braver riders (Im 35!) either way there's beautiful scenery, fresh air and a fun way to burn those calories!

Enjoy your bike, cya on runtastic and MPF!
  • SteveT59
    SteveT59 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Like most people I cycled in my youth, I took it a stage further and competed in some time trials in my early 20's and really enjoyed it. 100 miles was an average training ride in them days, and I was in West Cornwall at the time and if you know that place it's just one long hill.
    Now 53 and decided to lose some flab, I have started by using an exercise cycle in the hope that I will build up the strength and stamina to cycle to work. It's only 5 miles but it is all up hill there, easy ride home mind. My main problem is that the only bike I can afford is the mountain bike style but I find it difficult to ride, I would love the drop handle bar style I used to ride.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I'm 49 now, started back into cycling around 13 months ago - weighing 397lb - first ride was 7 miles, took me nearly 50 minutes to complete and 2 hours to stop looking like an extra from sesame street afterwards (i.e. - all purple and hairy and with big sticky-out eyes!)

This month, I've ridden 325 miles already, longest ride 68 miles in 4h16m, I weighed in last friday at 250.3lb, and earlier this month I passed the 5,000 miles distance on my bike - that's nearly double the mileage I've done in my car in the same period!

It's not an exaggeration to say it - cycling has probably saved my life. I've still got a way to go - at least another 40lb's but I know that one things for sure, cycling is going to feature heavily on the journey :smile:

Another interesting website/blog to read is here: http://theamazing39stonecyclist.wordpress.com/

I started to cycle again in April '11 after buying a bike through the Cycle to Work Scheme. I hadn't cycled since I was a teenager & I was then 38.

My first journey into work was 13 miles & it took me 1h7m17s. I did the same route this morning and I did it in 38m23s. It can be done!

I have lost 45lbs so far and still a fair bit to go.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    <<--- cycles.

I own more bikes, frames, parts than is legal allowed in many places. Cycling is my freedom and drug although my lifestyle (work travel) makes that I can go 2 weeks without any kms.

It's a great sport but you'll need to add something else to balance things out - cycling by itself will get you 70% of the way there. It has its limitations (flexibility, injury and limited impact on upper body strength - even with mountain biking)...

Feel free to add me (and anyone else) - I do all this for my own fitness and because I ENJOY it!
  • Echo_Dan
    Echo_Dan Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I cycle 6 miles to work, and close on to 9 miles on the way back home as I take a more scenic route on the uphill route back home. Its helping me slowly to get slimmer and fitter. (I just need to lay off the snacking.) The only problem I find is that because I do it every day to and from work its having less of an effect now. I need to go out in to the woods on my bike for a couple of hours once or twice a week to have some variety and hide the calorie burning hard :)

But with a 4 year old autistic child and mother in law with cancer at home, its hard to find the time :p
  • thcri
    thcri Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    You can do it. My first ride three years ago was about 6 city blocks. When I realized it was all up hill to get back home I had to walk it. Today I am 60 pounds lighter and have done 3 100 mile trips and last year I rode a total of 4200 miles. Just ride
  • Culley34
    Options
    Cycling crushes calories. Just make sure you're taking in plenty of water, gatorade, and bananas so you don't deplete your body. The fact that you're giving yourself a 'nice breeze' tricks your body into thinking that you're not sweating as much as you think...

Granted, I'm on a road bike, but I started doing rides around 30-40 miles and then progressed up to 100-120 mile rides-- usually setting aside a Saturday or a Sunday to do the centuries. I started out averaging about 15-16 miles / hour. Now, I do around 18 miles an hour on rides. Slightly faster if people want to ride as a group and push the pace.
  • plafleur76
    plafleur76 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I recently started riding regularly, in the last month and I love it. So much faster than running, easier on my knees, the scenery changes and my only complaint is the bumps! My rear is finally starting to toughen up after riding 3-4 times a week for the last few weeks. I need a new seat or a pad.

Any tips on buying a seat? I see the thick cushioned seats but they are wide, should I stick with the narrow seat for easier leg movement and pedaling? i always thought those wide seats were more for the grandma riding to the store.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I recently started riding regularly, in the last month and I love it. So much faster than running, easier on my knees, the scenery changes and my only complaint is the bumps! My rear is finally starting to toughen up after riding 3-4 times a week for the last few weeks. I need a new seat or a pad.

Any tips on buying a seat? I see the thick cushioned seats but they are wide, should I stick with the narrow seat for easier leg movement and pedaling? i always thought those wide seats were more for the grandma riding to the store.

Seat should fit. Look at some of the seat fitting companies lik sqlab. Then you'll need less padding.