No eating after 7pm?

Options
Hi all. When I was up at 3am this morning with my pup who's just come into heat (feeling very sorry for herself) I had an idea. So, from now on, I'm going to try not to eat anything after 7pm (special occasions allowing). I figure it should be easy as I eat plenty of the right stuff through out the day and to be honest I just eat for eating's sake in the evenings.

I tend to only do exercise in the mornings or early afternoon so my evenings are for chillaxing and a short dog walk.

Does anyone else do this or something similar? Did you notice an increase in weight loss? Was your sleep affected?

Discuss...x

Replies

• humidex8
    humidex8 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I was doing intermittent fasting, where I wouldn't eat from 7pm through till 11am the next morning. I only kept it up for about a fortnight so the only thing I noticed was a change in my attitude towards food, which sempt like a huge change in such a short time frame. I definitely don't eat as much in the evenings now, even though I allow myself to. I just couldn't handle not eating breakfast as soon as I woke up haha :)
  • Michellereducf
    Michellereducf Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry. Body doesn't know or care what time it is when you eat.
  • Susan_Rae_1
    Susan_Rae_1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options

good point!
  • GreyV
    GreyV Posts: 60
    Options

Surely it must make some difference if you have a big meal and go to sleep directly afterwards? My thinking is that I rarely exercise after my evening meal and sometimes eat very late so I don't burn any calories before bed. If this doesn't have any adverse affect, fair enough. Just interested in others opinions.
  • tnmyers23
    tnmyers23 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have heard that it isn't good to eat after 7pm as those calories sit. I would add though that if I was to hubgry after that time I would grab a handful of almonds or a piece of cheese. Because if you go to bed feeling like you are starving you won't sleep well.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I function better and sleep better by not eating after 7 am.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Hi all. When I was up at 3am this morning with my pup who's just come into heat (feeling very sorry for herself) I had an idea. So, from now on, I'm going to try not to eat anything after 7pm (special occasions allowing). I figure it should be easy as I eat plenty of the right stuff through out the day and to be honest I just eat for eating's sake in the evenings.

I tend to only do exercise in the mornings or early afternoon so my evenings are for chillaxing and a short dog walk.

Does anyone else do this or something similar? Did you notice an increase in weight loss? Was your sleep affected?

Discuss...x

Yeah it's a good way of cutting out calories - which is why you often hear of people saying that they don't eat after a certain time and they have lost lots of weight

In truth though, meal timings don't matter so you would have equal success by saying for example "I won't eat between 13:30 and 16:30"

Nothing wrong with what you're doing if it works for you though
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I have metabolic issues - the nothing-after-7pm is a must-do for me.
  • Katmiller73
    Katmiller73 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't eat 3 hrs prior to sleeping is what I go by. I work nights and stop eating at about 0500 in the am because I will walk when I get off work then go to sleep so I can wake up at 5 pm and get ready for work again.
  • Wonderob
    Options
    I have heard that it isn't good to eat after 7pm as those calories sit.

This has been well and truly proven incorrect. there are many possible reasons not to eat late in the day, but this is not one of them
  • AStout30
    Options
    According to the p90x nutrition guide you shouldn't eat three hours before bed. So whatever time you go to bed back it up three hours and don't eat after that time. :)
  • Gioooo
    Gioooo Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    meal timing has no bearing on weight loss
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options

Surely it must make some difference if you have a big meal and go to sleep directly afterwards? My thinking is that I rarely exercise after my evening meal and sometimes eat very late so I don't burn any calories before bed. If this doesn't have any adverse affect, fair enough. Just interested in others opinions.

It doesn't really make a direct difference to your weight loss. So long as you are at a calorie deficit, you should be losing. Think of it this way- if you eat a lot right before bed, but then get up and workout in the AM, that fuel is already in your body.

That being said, it never hurts to try out different patterns of eating. The difference you'd notice would be more in your attitude or feelings. It may help you become more in tune with identifying *real* hunger from bordem. Or it might make you a cranky pants. But you never know if that will be the pattern for you until you try it. So give it a go and see how you feel. Just know that it doesn't directly influence your weightloss, so much as your mindset.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Your body has no internal clock that needs to be on a feeding schedule, the only reason to not eat close to bedtime is if you have acid reflux or something along those line that would cause you lost sleep. Other than that eat to hit your caloric intake for the day and hit your Macro's nothing else... I have lost a few pounds taking a 600 calorie to bed of night..... Best of Luck
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

Discuss...x

In my ideal world, I'd only eat after 7pm... google "intermittent fasting".

Mind you, I eat all the time and haven't had problems. Calorie deficit is where it's at!
  • alzaman5925
    alzaman5925 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do exactly that. I don't eat after 7pm, and I tend not to have my first meal until around 11am the next day. (This is just temporary though whilst I'm still on holiday. When college comes around I'll switch breakfast up to 9am instead.)

I've been at this every day for a few weeks now and I've found my weight loss to be pretty steady. Mostly though, I like waking up in the morning feeling genuinely hungry, rather than still being bloated from my meal the night before. I think there's a lot of benefit to fasting this way - I don't feel I'm on a great big 16hr fast and depriving myself, since I eat normally during the day. I don't lack energy and I'm not constantly pining for food!
  • Wonderob
    Options
    meal timing has no bearing on weight loss

Has no DIRECT bearing, that's true

However when I have the majority of my calories in a short space of time - I find that going the subsequent long periods without eating affects my energy levels and hence workout intensity - so indirectly, my meal timings can have an effect

I now eat every few hours and it works for me - but I do agree that ultimately it really is calories in = calories out
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Your body has no internal clock that needs to be on a feeding schedule, the only reason to not eat close to bedtime is if you have acid reflux or something along those line that would cause you lost sleep. Other than that eat to hit your caloric intake for the day and hit your Macro's nothing else... I have lost a few pounds taking a 600 calorie to bed of night..... Best of Luck

Yep! I work graveyard so I eat when I can fit it in my schedule. As stated above, unless you have some medical reason or upset stomach, etc etc. the time of day or night doesn't matter.
  • jkcrawford
    jkcrawford Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I have found what works for me is, that I eat dinner and nothing after that, and I don't eat a large dinner just some toast or some fruit, maybe a salad. This is what works for me, but everyone is different. Like others have said you body doesn't have an internal clock. It is all about what you find works for your body.
    Good luck.
  • GreyV
    GreyV Posts: 60
    Options
    Thanks for all your opinions. I'm going to give it a go (not eating past 7pm) for a couple of weeks and see how it affects weight loss, attitude, emotions etc. It may not be for me but I'll post my findings.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply :o)