Trap bar Deadlifts

Options
11614737_8176_thumb.jpg

Anyone tried this? Yay or nay?

As my dealifts weight go up, my form suffer and I was wondering if this would help.

Replies

• TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Yes! Using the trap bar helps me to keep good form.
  • HeikkiLaukkanen
    HeikkiLaukkanen Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I used to exclusively use the trap bar for deadlifts. It's good for your form but it's really different from traditional deadlifts. In my non-scientific anecdotal experience it works your muscles more like squats, there's less back and core involvement and more from the quads and glutes. My opinion. Still a worthy exercise!
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    My advice is to not increase weight till you can do the higher weight with proper form. Nothing wrong with the trap bar though, have at it.
  • mag1c
    mag1c Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Its not quite the same as a standard deadlift but it is effective. It feels a little more like squatting to me. You will probably be able to increase the weight you use in comparison to using a straight bar. I personally do them with the trap or hex bar because I have back problems and this helps me stay more upright.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    peer reviewed study about comparing trap bar vs. straight bar deadlifts.
    http://www.biggerfasterstronger.com/uploads2/11_SepOct_18.pdf
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    peer reviewed study about comparing trap bar vs. straight bar deadlifts.
    http://www.biggerfasterstronger.com/uploads2/11_SepOct_18.pdf

Very interesting!

So, I'm curious, with the hex bar, this deadlift looks something like a hack squat. Is a hack squat then, more like a deadlift than a regular back squat? Anybody know?

(sorry Yanicka, if I'm hijacking your thread.)
  • _granola
    Options
    I haven't tried it, but I would like to. From what I've read, it's supposed to be a little better for those with back problems.
  • LovelyLifter
    LovelyLifter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it, but I would like to. From what I've read, it's supposed to be a little better for those with back problems.

I tried this last week It helped a bit ....Ever since I screwed up my back a few months ago dead lifting it still scares me .....so im always looking at different ways to be safe My belt helps but everyone says not to become dependent on it
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I use the trap bar for deads from time to time. It's a little different then the normal deads-more like a squat, but still great. I love it!
  • Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I do these and LOVE them!
  • _granola
    Options
    Ok now I really want one. :smile:
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    if your form suffers lower the weight, you can have bad form using that as well.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    My form was ok before I upped to weight 5 pounds.....I know I video myself. I am pretty much stuck at one and a half time my weightuntil my bulk cycle iI guess.