Do you bicycle often?

Options

Replies

• Culley34
    Options
    As g0tr00t said - it's not a cheap sport to get started in. It's like skiing. However, after the initial investment -- outside of a tune up, or the occasional tube -- it's not really too daunting (versus shelling out $70 for a lift ticket and paying top $ dollar of meals on a mountain).

I got the 2010 Trek 2.1 two years ago, and then got a new Selle Italia saddle to put on it. On top of the clips, water bottles, helmet, cleats, pedals, etc... it ended up being up $2,000 (and the bike itself was $1,250). I went entry level on my first road bike, but the next one I buy will definitely be a full carbon bike...

I would also say - get a bike trainer. They're about $100, you can lock in your back wheel and pedal in your house. This will get you used to clipping in / out. At first, I was scared sh*tless about clipping in and riding with lots of traffic around me. I don't ride through the city often, but I do ride at conservation areas where there are lots of cars buzzing through. Mentally, it doesn't both me in the least anymore -- just remember that if you're going to commute - you have, have, HAVE to be aggressive on a bike.
  • jo2smom
    Options
    you could also try the goodwills in your area:)
  • JenSpinnaChick
    JenSpinnaChick Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I waited to get my road bike at the very beginning of the season. The bike shop I went to was eager to get rid of last years model to make room for the new models they just got in so I was in the right place at the right time and got a huge discount.
  • NurseJodies
    NurseJodies Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I did a ton of research, then went to a specialty store and tried them out. My advice: invest in the most you can afford. You won't regret it. It makes a world of difference to have a good quality bike.
  • plafleur76
    plafleur76 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    what are some good manufacturers besides Trek, it seems everyone I talk to has a trek. Or are they just the best at all types?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    go to a specialty bike store...have them "fit you" into a bike that fits your needs. then go online and buy the bike cheaper. some folks have to have the newest thing on the market and revolve their bikes quickly. just a thought....Have fun!

Great advice, so when your bike needs tuning up or adjustments are you going to send it back to the on-line vendor? If you bought it from the bricks & mortar store (you know, the one that gave you advice & guidance) chances are they'll throw in adjustments and tune ups (for a year or two anyway). There's more to value than price. (Usually the on-line vendors ship the bikes disassembled or very hastily put together......no thanks.)

what are some good manufacturers besides Trek, it seems everyone I talk to has a trek. Or are they just the best at all types?

Trek makes great bikes, I'm partial to Giant and there are many others out there. Each one has minor variances in terms of frame geometry so it's more a case of finding what suits you.
  • Lionidle
    Options
    I ride an old Saracen, handbuilt in the UK and it's a mountain bike with road tyres. It seems to handle my weight fine.

One thing i will say though is, don't get one of those padded seats if you're planning on doing many miles in one go. They actually hinder progress.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I bought a Specialized Vita and love it.
  • Culley34
    Options
    This is a great point.

Also, ask if they take any type of discounts from running clubs, triathlete clubs, or Triple A? My co-worker got a $40 annual membership to a local triathlete club and saved $550 on a bike.
    I waited to get my road bike at the very beginning of the season. The bike shop I went to was eager to get rid of last years model to make room for the new models they just got in so I was in the right place at the right time and got a huge discount.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Decide on the type of riding you will be doing?
    What kind or road, gravel or dirt paths?
    Commuting?
    Do you need to carry stuff?
    All weather?

The best time to get a bike is coming up - late season sales as they try to unload the last inventory before new modes for x-mas.

Helmet, gloves.
    Do NOT get clips - they are useless on a first bike. Power gain is minimal on short rides with an everyday bike and an untrained rider but they will screw up you knees whie you earn to pedal distances and to fit your bike.
  • PapaDunx
    Options
    I got mine second-hand from a local retailer, and bought bits to go on it. I bought a commuter bike with 21 gears.
    Big padded seat, paniers and lights.
    But, then I ride mine 200 miles a week.
    In fact, I did 40 miles just now on it. Sure my ar5e hurts, but then sat in the saddle for 3 hours will do that, I guess.
  • mishmash73
    mishmash73 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I've read all these posts & also just did a lot of research about bikes... in the end, I went to a few different shops, you'll learn a lot from then to figure out what you want, then you have to ride them to see what you feel best on...

also, if you are using the bike as a 'workout'... i suggest more than 5-10 miles... if you are biking hard to get your heart rate up, i average a 5-6 min mile... I like bike riding vs running b/c i can bike longer & get more calories. 4-5 times, i've done 25/26 miles & burned 1300-1500 calories depending on weather, temperature, etc. Have fun!

ps, I was between a Specialized Ariel & a Giant 29er bike... I got the Ariel & my husband got the 29er. I love my bike! its made for prairie paths (gravel) & paved trails.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

There are literally thousands of good manufacturers. It depends on what you want.
    Trek is far from being "the best at all types" but the make good bikes.
    Every bike is a compromise - weight, price, geometry. Trek is an excellent compromise but I don't own any - my choices are a bit different - they serve me.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I have a hybrid by Specialized. Great bike, no fancy additions, less than $600. I love to ride on trails and roads equally so it really fits the bill for me.

Totally agree that timing is important for price - You'll actually get good deals on bikes right now because they're unloading their 2012 inventory. The right bike for you depends on what you're going to use it for. I would suggest NOT going to a store by a particular manufacturer (Trek for example) unless you are sure you want a bike from that brand. I went to a bike shop that a lot of professionals use in my area, and though it's an hour away, it was well worth it for the knowledgeable salespeople and the free tuneups. If you want a bike to last a long time, find a place that takes care of its customers.
  • andivaclavicek
    Options
    Me, I ride about 1-2 a week. I ride a heavy as heck single speed (the Schwinn "Cream" Cruiser). I LOVE it. I did buy mine at a bike shop, but on sale.

*edited for typo

I'd also like to add, my bike was about $400 and I do 20+ mile rides with it. Yes, it's heavy, but for me, I feel that adds to my workout. Later down the line, I'll probably buy something lighter and with gears, but for now (a beginner) this baby is perfect. Also, yes, you can spend a crap ton of money on accessories, but the only ones you really need are a cup holder, helmet and a lock.
  • dq_diva
    Options
    I have a Trek hybrid that I got on sale at our local bike shop. It is an excellent riding bike and I only paid about $400. Our local shop offers a lifetime warranty and free tune-ups on every bike they sell. They are extremely helpful and very courteous. Buy from a bike shop....the employees are avid riders and interested in making sure you get a good fitting bike :)
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    support your local bike shop
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    If you're riding on the road, then do yourself a favour and buy a road bike; drop handlebars, skinny tyres (23mm). You'll only end up buying one later if you enjoy riding. At the very least a hybrid (skinny tyres but flat bars).

As everyone has said, go to a REPUTABLE local bike shop and take their advice. Buy from them if they'll do you a 'bike fit' throw in!

I ride a (minimum) 27 miles a day (round trip) on a Carbon Road Bike (pictured in my ticker below) and I love every minute of it :wink:

Most of all enjoy!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    This is a great point.

Also, ask if they take any type of discounts from running clubs, triathlete clubs, or Triple A? My co-worker got a $40 annual membership to a local triathlete club and saved $550 on a bike.

Here in Ottawa OTC (Ottawa Triathlon Club) members get a 10% discount at both Bushtukah and Fresh Air Experience on both new bikes and subsequent purchases / service.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options

It depends on how much you want to spend!