The Meaning of Life...(is NOT in the fridge!) Febuary Chall

Options
This is a month long challenge to resist those tempting treats that beckon to you in moments of boredom, of despair, of contemplation, or completely mindless zombie impersonations. Got a vice that grips you tight, haunts your dreams, promises the secrets of the universe and the meaning of life if only you indulge frequently enough? This is the place for you to kick it. We're about staying clean and replacing the search for The Meaning of Life in places of futility with places you might actually find it (like the pool, or the orange tree!)

Me? I'm always and forever searching for it in the Fridge. If I check just behind that tub of yogurt, maybe at the bottom of that carton of heavy cream, or somewhere deep in a tub of leftover Arroz con Gandules maybe I'll find it, hiding there like the Holy Grailor the treasure of the Sierra Madre. The last two weeks, with a little help from my friends, I've cut back on my search and my hours as Fridge Raider of the Lost Ark. I'm hoping to keep it going for a month, try and get that monkey off my back for good. So, another Challenge!

There are many places that the meaning of life might lie, but I can tell you RIGHT NOW a few places (after EXTENSIVE, EXHAUSTIVE investigation) where it is NOT.

The Meaning of Life is NOT... :

...in the Fridge
...in the Bag of Trail Mix
...in the Peanut Butter Jar
...in the Bottle of Canadian Club/Johnny Walker Black/Coquito/Palo Vejo/Puerto Vallarta Tequila
...in the Can of Whipped Cream
...in the Bag of Croutons
...in the Bag of Cheese Cubes.
...in the jar of maraschino cherries.
...No, it's still not in the can of whipped cream.

Get on the train. Add to the list. Suggest a few places we might find the meaning of life. Twenty-eight days of profound self-exploration and deep, philosophical discussion and support will leave you stronger, wiser and more shapely! (...ok, we're not really about all that SRS BZNS here, but we are about kicking those compulsive habits and having a few laughs while we do it!)

Replies

• courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Nooooo not the pb jar!!! :sad: :laugh:

It's not in the chip bag!
  • moujie
    moujie Posts: 229
    Options
    is not:

...on the couch in front of the tube wasting away hours of a perfectly decent day

but could found be:

...on my bike seat
    ...on the elliptical
  • Jesusfollower72
    Options
    it IS found in the bible!

God bless,
    Karen
  • kaytbognar
    Options
    ...not in the bag of walnuts.
    ...NOT at frakkin Chili's.

...is in the vicinity of the yoga mat
    ...on the end of a string? No, that's just my yo-yo (but gosh, the simplicity of it--gotta resemble the meaning of life!)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    :grumble: SRS BZNS - Kayt, I thought I was good at acronyms, but I bow to the Master. WT_? Ed-u-kayt me.

Great start to the thread BTW. I am feeling all sick this morning and I do believe the meaning of life can be found (for me) in the tissue box. Sickness keeps me from wanting heavy food, so I'm going to make some homemade chicken soup and live on that for the week.

The Meaning of Life is in

~ a tissue box
    ~lap 21 on the one-mile-swim seems to be the time that all becomes Zen-like and I am a machine of Stroke, Kick, Breathe, Count (chant) the laps.
    ~Learning something new and difficult. I signed up for a really tough and demanding SCUBA class that will kick my booty physically and mentally.
    ~coffee with soy creamer. No sat fat.

Since I read that drinking alcohol is basically just replacing sugar, since your body treats them the same, I will give up alcohol this month - with the caveat that I may have two drinks at the mid-way point of the month (if I wish to). I've done it before.

The sweet side of alcoholism

If you have traded an alcohol addiction (sugar) for a sweet roll addiction (sugar), you have gained little more than a lessened risk for a DWI. Biochemically sugar and alcohol are the same thing. When you take in large amounts of sugar it sends your blood sugar high and releases a feel good neurotransmitter called serotonin. The alcohol and the sweet roll both send your blood sugar high but the alcohol is able to spike your blood sugar twice as quickly. So if you have stopped taking in alcohol and replaced it with high sugar eating you are setting your self up for a relapse.

If you are ready to put an end to this cycle you need to be eating balanced meals every two hours and taking some amino acids to help rebuild and heal your brain chemistry. Balanced meals should consist of protein, fat, and carbohydrates. For healthy protein, eat chicken, fish beef, cheese, and steak; for fat- butter, olive oil, raw nuts, cream cheese; for carbs-fruits and lots of veggies.

http://www.acu-cell.com/dis-mus.html

The trail mix is banished. The honey is gone. I am only having in-shell peanuts or organic sugar free salt free peanut butter for my nuts. Kayt you're killing me. What is left? :laugh:
  • kaytbognar
    Options
    SRS BZNS Cheryl. KNEEL BEFORE ZOD! I mean...er...Zod's not anywhere around here.

Sorry to hear you're feeling sub-weather. Homemade chicken soup is probably just the ticket. Soy creamer? I've never heard of that, though I'm not at all surprised it exists. I love my coffe with...*hangshead* COCONUT MILK. Omnomnomnom. Full of sat-fat, but whatever. It's good for you satfat and choc-a-block full of nutrients. Generally, I drink it black though.

I second your suggestion of new and difficult things! I really wanna try surfing before I leave PR, as I've told you. I dread how hard it's going to be (my balance SUCKS, though I'm a pretty good swimmer) but I also dream of how great I'll feel when I get the hang of things.

YOU GO giving up the licks. I...want to say I'll join you, but one of the small indulgent pleasures I have is having a drink over the phone with some of my besties. I am doing better at cutting out alcohol with the excpetion of those long-distance cocktails. Great article, too, btw. I really despise thinking about how terrible alcohol is for the body, because then I feel bad about drinking so much of it. *sigh* I remember the day my neuropathology teacher old us that drinking replicates the symptoms of cerebellar brain damage. A sad sad day in Kaytland.

FRUIT, Cheryl. Fruit is left! I picked up some apples and pears yesterday and those, along with my oranges and pineapple are all I really want the last few days.

For today: the meaning of life is...

...in a 30s headstand, 10s of which was completely unsupported.
    ...fresh pineapple for breakfast
    ...in the Post Punk Kitchen (theppk.com)-- Veganomicon? More like OMNOMNOMicon. WANT, people, WANT WANT!

I think this month I am going to start including more live foods in my diet--soaking and sprouting grains and seeds to add to my salads. I've wanted to for a year and a half and have never gotten off my butt to commit. Now is the time!

Oh, the meaning of life? Totally NOT an ingredient in Temblque. That's just the coconut, I got duped.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Okay missy. I had to figure it out ABML. Since you still didn't tell me.
    SRS BZNS Cheryl. KNEEL BEFORE ZOD! I mean...er...Zod's not anywhere around here.

SRS BZNS =Serious Business?
  • kaytbognar
    Options
    You got it ladyface :) SRS BZNS = Serious Business. (It's more fun when you say it in a kind-of asian accent, Mr Miyagi style as it were. Sounds all ominouslike!) Don't you feel more accomplished working it out by yourself? ;P
  • cmriverside
    Options
    hahanosmiley.gif
  • kgasser
    kgasser Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    It DEFINITELY is not in a 2 pack of King Sized Reese's cups!

It might just be in a 5 calorie pickle spear...really how many pickles can you eat before a) you are full and/or b) your mouth says, OK, I give! NO MORE FOOD!
  • kaytbognar
    Options
    kgasser, ugh. I WISH the King of Kings was in that pack of Reese cups! Pickle spear, eh? Maybe it's also in those pickled jalapenos I like so much too...I wonder if we have some in the pantry.

Cheryl, I love your smileys. One for EVERYTHING!

A guest-provided soruce of where the meaning of life is/isn't! Got an email from my Moms just now, it's uncanny sometimes how similar we are:

[in response to an email I sent her about binge-eating, considering veganism, and my transition back into The Real World when i go home to Toronto in May]

"You want to set some rigid rules with a name on it so you won't slam dunk a pepperoni pizza with extra cheese size xxxL . But the name won't protect you, sadly. You will just have to try to have some control. And as a person with little control, I know that it is soo difficult. But I guess that you have to remember that it is just food, not the embodiment of love, security, nirvana, heaven, truth, beauty all rolled into one big scoop of liberty yogurt.
    [...]
    Also remember your soul. The state of your body is not everything, although it often reflects the soul. If you are going to obsess, then spend at least some of that energy in help and charity for those around you. (and I know you do) . Focus also outward to see the need f those everyday walking wounded we deal with. It has its own rewards."

So, from my Mother's Sage Wisdom (nothing beats it!)

The meaning of life is NOT in the spoonful of Liberty Yogurt. It is in compassionate charity and love for those around you!

Now, off to read her research grant and try and understand what's up in the world of Brest Cancer Research (wish me luck? I can read it no problem, but to understand it I'm gonna need luck...lots and lots of luck!)
  • ashlieh4048
    ashlieh4048 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    it's not in the package of oreos in my pantry!!!!
  • MyFamilyRox15
    MyFamilyRox15 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'd like to come on board with y'all! Haven't been doing so well on my own here...

The Meaning of Life is NOT... :

...in the Fridge
    ...in the Bag of Trail Mix
    ...in the Peanut Butter Jar
    ...in the Bottle of Canadian Club/Johnny Walker Black/Coquito/Palo Vejo/Puerto Vallarta Tequila
    ...in the Can of Whipped Cream
    ...in the Bag of Croutons
    ...in the Bag of Cheese Cubes.
    ...in the jar of maraschino cherries.
    ...No, it's still not in the can of whipped cream.
    **Not in my husbands' Mounds Birthday Cake, with tons of coconut,frosting, and nuts....*** :wink:
    **NOT in that Birthday Pizza** :sad:
  • MyFamilyRox15
    MyFamilyRox15 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The meaning of life can be found back in the woods on a hike with my dog!!
  • kgasser
    Options
    Birthday pizza???? It might be there...if you whispered in my ear what it was I might be able to find it...

Every once in a while I have found it in peanut butter...it just depends on where else you have looked that day

I am pretty sure that even if it isn't in your cheese cubes it just MIGHT be in my low fat string cheese I have in the morning

It may be in my Wii Fit...some swear it is...I guess I might have to keep looking there!:grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble:
  • kgasser
    Options
    Kay...I have looked MANY times...it definitely is NOT in anything with the name Reese's on it! It just might be in the jalapenos...did you look? I don't really think so, though, because it would surely not be right for the meaning of life to be in something that causes pain!

I think you should at least look for the meaning by giving your mom a big hug...you just might find the...forgive me, I just can't stop myself...MOTHER LOAD! HAH! I crack me up!

Have a good one peeps!
  • kaytbognar
    Options
    Was that a pun? Yep, that was definitely a pun! I am officially in love with you :D

Meaning of life, definitely in punning. It's my fave :D

I can't wait to get home in May--I return from Puerto Rico to Toronto ON my mother's birthday, so I will get to give her the biggest hug out there :) She's the greatest woman i know.

and, LAWLSing at the vision of a "Meaning of Life" game for the Wii.

Meaning of Life is not in the jar of olives, but I did sneak a peek at it in the chick-pea tofu and veg stir fry I made, and I'm definitely coming close to finding it in my yoga practice. Also can be simulated eating oranges (or other fruit) in a hammock with some good tunes and a book you dig.

Have a gooder, and keep on searching people! The meaning of life IS out there.
  • beqy12
    beqy12 Posts: 569
    Options
    I definitely find the meaning of life on the trail at 7am somewhere after my 3rd mile.

...but I'm still not so sure you can convince me it's NOT in the chocolate bar. Are you sure?! What about an Arby's Jamocha shake?? Oh my goshhhh.

I want to join this challenge and kick sugar in it's behind! But I'm new to MFP, and I'm not sure what "joining a challenge" entails, or even how to find my way back to this message board/topic again.

Good luck with your meaningful month everybody!!!
  • kaytbognar
    Options
    beqy12 -- This challenge is very informal, just keep checking back here and posting and you're on the train.

What I'm doing is setting some personal goals for myself for the month--not hovering in front of the fridge with a spoon, always serving myself something on a plate and sitting down to eat it, generally just trying to reduce the amount of mindless snacking/pontificating that I have a tendency for--and then coming here as a sort of confession if i wind up falling short of my expectations.

I promise you, the meaning of life isn't in the cane sugar refinery or HFCS tube at the corn processing plant. If it was, I'd have an HFCS IV LOL!

:D
  • cmriverside
    Options
    again with the acronyms Kayt? HFCS IV LOL

Marla and I have a running joke, because I use them all the time too. I usually figure yours out. But now you'll start making up really obscure ones, huh?

Last month I gave up the trail mix and the honey. ARGH /not an acronym. They are still banished because I have no willpower. This month it is alcohol and thank God it's a short month. So, instead, I got a cold, and unthinkingly bought Nyquil like I always do. Okay, so I'm not gonna get all freaky like alcoholics do if there's wine sauce on the beef. (People, the alcohol cooks off...) And I'm still taking it, even thought it has alcohol in it - cuz I'm not throwing out an eight dollar bottle of medicine AND making myself get dressed and go out. Nope, it's me in my pjs and chugging Nyquil. :devil: