OMG I just want to cry!!!

Options
I spent 7 hours yesterday looking for a job and about 3 hours the day before. Who knows how many hours I will put in today!!! Every place you apply online they want your resume and then for you to fill out your job history ... What is the point of my resume if have to repeat the same stuff!!!! I need POINTERS please by professionals :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: ??!!

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Hey, reality check: You've done this for a day and a half? My husband has been at it for A YEAR AND A HALF.

Toughen up.

You have to work at least as hard at getting a job as you will keeping that job. Especially in this economy.
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Hey, reality check: You've done this for a day and a half? My husband has been at it for A YEAR AND A HALF.

Toughen up.

You have to work at least as hard at getting a job as you will keeping that job. Especially in this economy.

This.
  • alittlemopo
    alittlemopo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, I have been looking since March and as of October 31st my current place is closing, the pressure is terrible. I look everyday on Careerbuilder, Monster, Indeed, Craigs List.

I hate that the online stuff makes you upload a resume and then fill out everything anyway such a waste of time!!!

Good luck with your search.
  • PrincessRunner1
    PrincessRunner1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options

Toughen up.

This.

^^ Yeap. And go out and meet people! A face with a name goes a long way!
  • Starbuck2020
    Starbuck2020 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Apply for a job. Then...after a couple days go in and introduce yourself to the manager "hi I'm ____ I recently applied for a job and just wanted to see if you're hiring right now" or some other excuse. The point is you will put your name in their head. In some cases they will ask for an interview right there. They know you are interested now. They know you are willing to do the foot work to get the job. It has worked for me in the past. I know the job market sucks right now so don't feel down if it doesn't work that great. It is better than just applying, trust me. Good luck!
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    If online is the only option for a place then you don't have much choice with them I guess, but I don't think I've ever gotten a job from an online application. Sometimes you have to make a few calls and beat the pavement.
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options

Toughen up.

Oh I am sure some people do have really hard times! I am envious of my fiance! He can travel all over and there is a high demand for his job and it is killer pay... I need something like that! I just have not had to work the last 3 years but now after moving back home I decided to work and go back to school.... ughhhhhhhh
  • Alone_Janny
    Alone_Janny Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Same thing with me... I lost my job at my birthday, 3rd of march... the only job I found is 6 hours per week... I can't make a living with this ! I feel discouraged...

PS: I've been told I too fat and not beautiful enough to work in fashion...
  • Marlo2012
    Marlo2012 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I feel ya! My fiancee has been out of work for almost 2 years and looking everyday....it is tough out there! and even tougher on me being the breadwinner :ohwell:

I hope you find something soon and GOOD LUCK!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Finding a new job is an 8-10 hour a day job in itself. Dont be mad if you dont get the results for the work your not doing. 10 hours into a job search is not the time to begin whining, its when you should be warming up and getting good.
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    As someone who used to hire employees, there is a specific reason for requiring both a resume and a job history.

The job history data fields are used to compile keywords. If a company wants to search for someone with customer service experience, they can type in things like "cashier", "customer service", "call center", etc. That's why these fields are so brief. Even if they aren't using a keyword search, it gives them a quick rundown of your history. From there, they can decide if they want to read your resume.

The resume is to show you possess basic communication skills. If I received a resume with typos or spelling errors easily caught by spellcheck, a job description that simply said, "I answered phones," an email address like chicksrule at hotmail, or cutesy paper/Word background with a design on it, it was tossed into the recycling bin. The resume is your chance to put your best professional foot forward. Always, always, always use spellcheck and then have one or two people check it again since spellcheck won't catch everything (your/you're, to/two/too, here/hear, etc).

Good luck with your search!
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Good plan. You will succeed.
    Oh I am sure some people do have really hard times! I am envious of my fiance! He can travel all over and there is a high demand for his job and it is killer pay... I need something like that! I just have not had to work the last 3 years but now after moving back home I decided to work and go back to school.... ughhhhhhhh
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Same thing with me... I lost my job at my birthday, 3rd of march... the only job I found is 6 hours per week... I can't make a living with this ! I feel discouraged...

PS: I've been told I too fat and not beautiful enough to work in fashion...
    [/quote

awwww thats sad :(
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I was unemployed for a year and did that pretty much every day for most of it :( I understand your frustration. Don't know any way around it though, just keep everything handy so you can easily type it from one place to another. Also, it might help to put in with temporary agencies. A lot of them do temp to hire positions. I found my current job that way; the company I now work for hires almost exclusively through a temp agency and it actually does pay decent, once I made it past the trial phase and was permanently hired. So many people are looking for work these days, I'm betting a lot of companies hire through temp agencies since it takes a lot of the pressure off of them to weed out candidates.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    When I got laid off in 2009 I was sending out over a thousand job applications a week the first month. It's a tough market so you're going to have to get used to it.
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Try out temp services. I always said I would never work for a temp service and then in 2009 I move out of state and had to find a job. I looked from March through July with hardly any luck. Finally I broke down and contacted a couple of temp services. I went in and tested and within a week and a half they had a job lined up for me. I worked a couple of places through September (temp jobs) and then finally in October 2009 finally got a job (part time at first) but then led to full time. I am still at this place but now working full time. I figure any job is better then nothing, be it temp, part time or seasonal, and you never no were it might lead in the future. at least money is coming in. I am finding out more places are going through temp services so they don't have to deal with all the interviewing and paperwork. If they don't like you they just call and get a replacement
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options

Toughen up.

This.

^^ Yeap. And go out and meet people! A face with a name goes a long way!

^^ Basically. It's not easy to get a job. Hang in there, keep applying, and so what if it's hours per applications. It could be worse.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Finding a new job is an 8-10 hour a day job in itself.
    This is always my advice. Treat job-hunting as a full time job, and put in a good 8 hours a day doing it. If you don't because you think that's too much time, then you can't really complain about not finding anything. I hope you land something soon!
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    I lose weight easy on a tight budget... I can't afford crappy food. So being "unemployed" (or partially employed) is Excellent for my waistline!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it sucks. A lot. And even worse, nobody really gets hired from online ads anyway. It's all about who you know.
This discussion has been closed.