How did you get your spouse to eat better?

Options
2»

Replies

• RubyRubixcube
    RubyRubixcube Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    my partner eats what he's given and always enjoys it. i have taken to hiding vegetables in meals because I notice that quite often the dog ends up eating his vegetables. I wake up at 6am to make his lunch with is a salad and meat roll (he wont eat something unless it has some sort of meat in it) every now and again if he wants junk food, I'll cook him an oven bake pizza and make me a salad or I'll make him a side of chips instead of a side of vegetables
  • jenjen0214
    Options
    I puree the veggies into the food, my husband does not notice it most of the time.
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Maybe try to slowly incorporate clean eating into the routine. My husband was very skeptical, but he has embraced eating clean. But you do have to talk to him - let him know you need his support. Start with any veggies he will eat. Find out what ways he doesn't like his veggies cooked. I use a lot of natural hints to add great flavor to veggies - lemons, limes, garlic, etc. Veggies don't have to be boring! I find a lot of great recipes on thegraciouspantry.com you should check it out.
  • PoisonDartFrog
    PoisonDartFrog Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I love to cook, and cook healthy 95% of the time. I tell my husband that we're going on a diet. He skips, dances, and kisses me. That means you're gonna' cook!
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Sadly you can't force them. I try to make meals that he would like and maybe eat a little less and eat a salad with it, when I do make something I know he won't like I usually make my food and cook something for him.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Try sauteeing veggies in bacon fat. (Maple bacon is best) Yes, it does defeat the purpose slightly, but it tastes AMAZING, and it might help ease his transition into trying new things.
  • traceylynns
    traceylynns Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    you guys had some awesome ideas I am going to try some for sure my husband is a big baby about what I make!!
  • adietron
    Options
    I think it's less about "tricking" a grown human into eating something good for him... a more sustainable option might be to have an adult conversation about it. If he's a compassionate guy, use an emotional approach and let him know how important these goals are to your family's long term health and lifespan. If he's an analytical/rational guy, present him with some scientific findings that appeal to his logic.

If all else fails... douse everything in butter ;)
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I cook in my house too. Sometimes, I will take my husbands requests into account, but pretty much I just cook what I want. Sometimes he doesn't want it (He really only like chicken in things rather than by itself), and then he scrounges for something else to eat (like canned chili or something). I tell him that if we wants to pick what we eat, he has to cook. We are both good natured about it, and he usually likes what I make.
  • econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Ugh....we really struggle with this in my house. HE does all the cooking - for which I am TOTALLY thankful, don't get me wrong - but I can't even get in my own kitchen. He's a chef by trade, so whenever I hand him a recipe, he refuses to follow it or he adds all sorts of other stuff to it. Granted, for the most part, it's usually "healthy" stuff, like veggies, but even an overabundance of veggies can add up on the scale. Plus he tends to add stuff and not keep track, so I have trouble calculating calories. I can tell you right now he's sneaked some massive calories into my diet. He's a carnivore - notice I didn't say omnivore - and I try to eat semi-vegetarian so that's a problem because sometimes it's things like bacon that will end up in a vegetarian recipe. He also just heaps huge amounts of food on a gigantic plate. I've sat him down and talked to him about all these things and he just doesn't understand. I've also tried to muscle my way into the kitchen and I can get in there on occasion but not 100% of the time. It's frustrating.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Can't adults cook for themselves? Seriously, it's not my problem if my husband wants to eat crap. I cook what I want, and either he eats it or he doesn't.
  • jiddu17
    jiddu17 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I see what you're saying, it's not that you want him to eat more veggies, it's that you want to only make one meal. Hiding veggies only works IF the person hiding them ACTUALLY wants the food the veggies are being hidden in.

While he does seem to mostly be irrational, based on your description, I do think there are solutions that might work for both of you:
    You said he hates most veg... find the ones he will eat and make them. We use very basic veg in my house and fill our plate at least 1/2 with them: Roasted Veg (Can be Carrots, Peas, Cauliflower and Potato - I only use one potato - any combo, or all of them together). Corn and green beans are big in my house. We will have cucumber and tomato salads with or without cheese / dressing. Bell Peppers tossed in Sesame Oil. We like meat, we eat 4oz portions of meat. We like noodles. I measure out one serving of noodles that he and I share (cooked in broth/stock, topped with a tsp of parmesan cheese)
    It's not about getting him to eat what you eat, it's finding a compromise that works for both of you. Your compromise is to reduce your menu to things he likes.... his compromise is to accept that you will no longer be making some foods he has grown to love. You might make it on a day when you have extra cals, or just want a little... he can always order out if he's desperate... but MOST of the things I have ever made, I have been able to find lower cal, "cleaner" versions.
    One other thing he should consider is that a food might be called the same thing, but it will taste different from place to place, including at home. That doesn't mean it doesn't taste good in it's own right, just because your former self used to cook it differently.