Two-a-days

Options
I love it when I get a chance to work out twice a day. A perfect week is cardio in the AM and PM, every day, and then strength 2x - 3x a week. However, it is hard on the body.

The endorphins though...oh wow

Is there anyway to work out this much safely?

Replies

• RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    How do you have that much time??!?!?!

My friend does this. She goes to gym before work and then goes after work. I will add a caveat that her disordered eating is a big problem and she is beyond obsessive.
  • redlion45
    redlion45 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    It's nice when you can pull it off, but it is easy to overdo it this way.
  • ardavis23
    ardavis23 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I love going to the gym twice a day as well, if my day allows it!
    Cardio in the morning, and then weights after work with the big boys!! =)
  • ellehcimyelhsa
    Options
    I envy your time! I would love to be able to do that.

As far as doing it safely, make sure you are getting enough calories and listen to your body.
  • IamBlackMamba
    Options
    Wish I had that much time to workout. Good for you!
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I workout twice a day....also have two kids, school, and a job so time isn't really the answer it's the motivation. I get up at 5 and run in the morning, get kids to school, go to work, after dinner my husband and I do weights or circuits of pushups/squats, etc something resistance. I've been doing this for a while and have never felt "over done" I rotate muscle groups, I stretch all the stuff you would normally do to prevent injury
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    You can work out that much safely if you build up to it gradually and allow your body time to adapt to the workload. This may take some time. It has taken me 18 months to get to that point with running. If you push it too fast you will tear yourself down. Also, every effort cannot be max effort. With two a days one of the two workouts has to be pretty easy. The other can be hard or it can be easy also if you are tired. Also, sometimes if you are really tired you have to only workout once a day.

The benefit is greatly increased fitness and the body develops the ability to recover very quickly from workouts.
  • NikkiGetsFit185
    NikkiGetsFit185 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I go twice a day or do double classes like 4 days out of the week, i normally take fri-sunday off, but some of those days i might just go for a walk or do a workout video, if im bored and wanna workout. This also allows my body a break, i dont think i could do it twice a day for 7 days.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I love to do two 3 miles runs; a fast one in the morning and a an easy one in the afternoon.
  • Werner1950
    Werner1950 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Endorphins? I don't know if I ever experienced that high. Is it one of those things that you know it when you experience it? Can someone describe it for me?
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I love to do it twice a day.
  • thoeting
    thoeting Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You can work out that much safely if you build up to it gradually and allow your body time to adapt to the workload. This may take some time. It has taken me 18 months to get to that point with running. If you push it too fast you will tear yourself down. Also, every effort cannot be max effort. With two a days one of the two workouts has to be pretty easy. The other can be hard or it can be easy also if you are tired. Also, sometimes if you are really tired you have to only workout once a day.

The benefit is greatly increased fitness and the body develops the ability to recover very quickly from workouts.

I think it's the 'building up' that is important.....And I'm not good at making one workout easy.

Need to work on that.

So it sounds like it COULD be safe, but with some guidelines
  • thoeting
    thoeting Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    How do you have that much time??!?!?!

My friend does this. She goes to gym before work and then goes after work. I will add a caveat that her disordered eating is a big problem and she is beyond obsessive.

I don't know how I have the time. Thursdays is the day I get to do two-a-days. I teach a spin class at 5:30 am, then I have an abs class at 4:30 pm, do strength training on my own for 45 minutes, then yoga at 6:15 PM

Best day of the week, hands down.

And I only have a little eating disorder (down from a big one)
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I would rather work out and give it my all once a day for 30 to 60 minutes than have to do it twice a day. Too much time involved. And... I'm not gonna shower twice a day. My hair would hate me.
  • ATclassof2021
    ATclassof2021 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Two-a-days: Monday, Wednesday, Friday.

Monday - Run @ lunch and lift after work
    Tuesday - Run with my training marathon trng group after work
    Wednesday - Run @ lunch and lift after work
    Thursday - Lift after work
    Friday - Run @ lunch and lift after work
    Saturday - Run with my marathon trng group @ 7 AM
    Sunday - Rest up for the next 6 days
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Yes, just listen to your body :)
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Endorphins? I don't know if I ever experienced that high. Is it one of those things that you know it when you experience it? Can someone describe it for me?

Yeah, you just feel better and on your rest day you want to go out and catch a little buzz. It's definitely a sense of well being, and when you have it you feel healthy. I used to be depressed a lot, but with running, hardly at all.
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Damn..Another post that disappoints me today. I got so excited when I read the title, then after reading it..oh well.
  • smtillman2
    smtillman2 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I love to do it as often as possible.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    I work out 2 sometimes 3 times a day because that is what I have time for. It makes it a lot easier too...though I agree that sometimes it's hard not to overdue it. As long as you are listening to your body, you should be fine.