Treats- Do we or don't we?

Options
How do you guys deal with your cravings for your guilty pleasures?
I worked out that if I cut out all treats I could be saving myself about 2000 calories a week! BUT I know that if I deny myself completely i'll have a massive binge fest which will be waaayyy more than 2000 calories!

At the moment I allow myself one wee indulgence per day- how do you guys do it? Do you every have 'treats' and if so how often?
(And what are the treats of course! tehe)

Replies

• taintedbutterfly18
    Options
    If I want a treat, I will have one. I just work it into my daily calories.
  • semperfit1823
    Options
    I personally don't have a cheat day or refer to what I intake as a "diet" if i think diet it makes me think restrictions and I only have to do this for a short amount of time, remember its a Lifestyle.

If I do have a craving which isn't often but I'll satisfy it with what I am craving and check the box on that as nothing more and move on this can also help from over training your CNS.

Don't sweat the small stuff but remember try to burn off what you intake. "You do the crime, you do the time"
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    You can designate one day a week and call it your cheat day....works 4 me!
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Omg this is one of the hardest things in the world for me! I always told myself "Ok, NO treats", cause I thought that maybe cutting them out completely would help me maybe get rid of (or at least drastically lessen) my sugar/carb cravings... if you're able to keep up with that, go for it, it may help... personally for me, it doesn't. When I need my sweets, I NEED my sweets.

Lately I've really been exercising my strength and will power by having my treats when I feel I need/strongly want it, but literally one tablespoon at a time.

If I have ice cream in the freezer (and I always do - BEN AND JERRYS, WOO!!!), I'll treat myself to ONE tablespoon and savor every split second of it! If I feel I need more, I try my very best to wait 10 minutes (this is very hard when all you can think about is sugar lol), and if I still want it, I'll have it. One more tablespoon. I'll kinda do this throughout the day if it's one of those days where I need a lot lol That way, one tablespoon at a time will wind up being just one serving of 1/2c, but it'll feel like I've had more.

My favorite treat is flan... I'm ADDICTED. There's a lady down the way from my place that sells it and she stops by every week to sell me one... I can't say no. For one, it's her livelihood (I'm too sweet hearted - most times lol), and for two, it's the BEST FLAN EVER! So I freeze it and when I feel the craving come on, I'll thaw it and have one tablespoon at a time, several times throughout the day, that way I'm only having ONE serving but in multiple sessions lol It's a good trick, I think.

Anyways, that's what I do. It helps me.

ALSO... eat LOTS OF PROTEIN!! I usually NEVER eat breakfast, but lately I've been forcing myself to -I'll eat one or two hard boiled eggs with an apple and 1/8c of nuts. Works great for keeping me full and not shaking for sugar lol

Hope this helps.

Love and Alohas,
    Ihilani Kapuniai
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I just work things into my diet. I like the dark chocolate bars from Trader Joe's that are 100 calories. Those are super easy for me to work into my diet.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want, as long as it fits in my calorie goals.

I try to make as many "healthy" choices as I can, but I'm not going to live my life being obsessed with clean eating. This isn't a diet - it's a lifestyle, and realistically, there will always be chocolate, cake, dinners at nice restaurants, homemade meals at the inlaw's house, etc.

You have to be flexible enough to handle those things.
  • UniformMr
    Options
    I have treats, but I work them into my diet, and hit the cardio machine hard to compensate.

Luckily, I have a cardio machine at home, and I can hop on it whenever my old bones will let me!
  • justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want...

I am not on a diet...

I calculated the calories that work best to allow me to lose weight

then I eat what fits into that...

if I want cake... I have cake... if it fits... if not I have a piece of sugar free candy...

denial=binge for me
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options

^^^This! I am a sucker for cookies! If I buy them I stick to the serving suggestion and fit them in! Don't deny yourself!

I also like my vodka (occasionally)! :drinker:
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I eat a pretty whole food diet, barely any processed (if any) and don't do grains or fruit because I have PCOS and some just don't agree with my body. Because of this, my cravings have all but gone away. Never thought that would happen! The only time I get tempted is if im at a party or get together and there is stuff sitting in my face all day, sometimes gets hard to resist so I may take a bite or two, but very rarely do I indulge in the not so good for you stuff, I just don't want it. I do have a bit of a harder time with sweets around TOM, but if I don't bring it into my house, out of sight out of mind. I have also noticed if I don't eat at my normal times and I go a long period without eating, I am more likely to grab something of convenience that isn't good, so I try my best to eat when I am supposed to so I don't go off track.

Everyone is different. if you have to have some sort of sweets throughout your day, and can't live without them, just make sure they are portioned and stay within your cals. Because of the PCOS, i have had to cut out things that normal people trying to lose weight don't need to. I feel as long as you are eating good nutritious foods the majority of the time, I don't think alittle indulgence will do anything to you. And like semperfit said, if you are looking at this as a lifestyle and not a diet, you really aren't "cheating" lol and even though people restrict or eliminate things from their diet doesn't always mean they will NEVER eat them again, they just do it sparingly and not a normal part of their diet.

Enjoy your sweets from time to time, they won't kill you unless you eat a whole cake in one sitting, probably not a good idea :)

Edited to say - Forgot about alcohol lol that is probably the only thing I would say I "indulge" in more frequently, but I try and limit myself to only two drinks, vodka is less than 200 cals for 2, so it's not too bad. Sometimes you just need to unwind! :drinker:
  • smtillman2
    smtillman2 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want. I just eat less of it than I would before and I make sure it fits into my daily calorie count.
  • TonyaBtrfly
    TonyaBtrfly Posts: 118 Member
    Options

I try to make as many "healthy" choices as I can, but I'm not going to live my life being obsessed with clean eating. This isn't a diet - it's a lifestyle, and realistically, there will always be chocolate, cake, dinners at nice restaurants, homemade meals at the inlaw's house, etc.

^^^^^This exactly! I have pumpkin bread in the oven as we speak! Yummy!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

^^^^This.
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options

^^This!
  • RollinDawg
    RollinDawg Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I have them every once in a while, I'm worried that some day I'll end up on trial for killing somebody over a Snickers bar if I try to do away with them completely.
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    It's not constructive to antagonize yourself. My "diet plan" is basically "eat whatever, so long as I can afford it." I've also been doing this long enough that my tastes have changed, so I consider an extra sweet pepper or a cheese stick to be just as much of a treat as a cupcake or whatever; if you're not quite to that point yet, then you probably need a little more structure.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I have a treat everyday, I just make sure it fits into my calorie goal. It's usually something between 100 and 150 calories. Skinny Cow products are my favorite go to for my sweet tooth fix:flowerforyou:
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    we do. lol!!! in limited quantities! work it into your calorie intake. :)
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Include it with my calorie intake. Gotta take care of those cravings :flowerforyou:
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    If I want a treat (chocolate, cookie, cake, icecream, fru fru coffee drink) I work it into my day, by either eating less, exercising more or a little of both. If I have a social event to attend, I assume I will go over and adjust for it in the days leading up to or following the event. Be mindful of your weekly average. It all works out.