My first day on the program...any helpful tips???

Options
I just heard about this program at my gym so I thought I would give it a try. I have done numerous weight loss programs and I did lose some weight but put quite a bit on over the summer. I am back in the gym this week and I feel mentally better already. I am a foodie and I own a restaurant so it's so hard to make good decisions or not eat at my own restaurant all the time. We are a fine dining establishment and use local farmers and all grass fed beef as well. I really want to feel good and energized because running this restaurant takes a lot . Any tips and pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Looking forward to those results.

Replies

• dogo187
    dogo187 Posts: 376
    Options
    my old tip is...be honest, be honest and be honest...

you are only lying to yourself if you dont track honestly....cause no one here is going to get on to you about going over your calorie count but you are cheating yourself out of success...!
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    Don't quit.

So you were weak and went over on calories. Big deal.

Don't quit.

Ugh, I'm so tired. I'm bloated and don't feel like doing ANYTHING!

Don't quit.

I'm depressed and don't want to look at how much I weigh. If you gained weight it's not a failure. It's a new point to work from.

Don't quit.

Those cupcakes were soooooo delicious, but my calorie count is TOTALLY RUINED NOW! Psht, just log em. Tomorrow is another day.

Don't quit.

I was away on business and I'm not sure how many calories I had, and I had a few drinks and didn't log anything for a few days! The diary is still there, waiting for you. It does not judge. Go back to it.

Don't quit.

Oh wow, this diet is making me fat! The numbers are totally off! So, fix the numbers and keep going.

Don't quit.

I've hit a plateau! It doesn't work anymore! Sure it works. Open up your diary and ask a few people to check out your profile to figure out how to fix it.

Don't quit.

If you quit you may as well have done nothing at all. Do you really want to waste all that hard work?

Don't quit.
  • MandyM423
    MandyM423 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    1. If you count calories

Determine the right intake for you

You already know this: Take in fewer calories than your body needs to maintain your current weight and you will drop pounds. But only 11% of Americans correctly estimate their ideal daily calorie requirements, according to one survey. The rest of us tend to overestimate, says Bonnie Taub-Dix, RD, a spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association. Let's say you assume that consuming 2,000 calories per day will allow you to reach your target weight, but it really takes 1,800: Those extra 200 are enough to keep an additional 20 pounds on your frame.

Do it better:

If 1,800 calories is your max, split it into three 500-calorie meals and one 300-calorie snack.

Read more: http://www.prevention.com/node/29447#ixzz26NdIXu43
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Log everything, remember that all calories are not created equal and be patient!

It DOES work! All you have to do is
    1. Log everything that you put in your mouth (even if you don't want to admit that you ate it!)
    2. get moving
    3. drink lots of water
    4. give it time
    5. skip processed and fast foods - they are too full of fat and sodium. 300 fast food calories won't keep you satisfied, will make you retain water and will make you crave more junk food.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    MFP isn't really a program. Its a place to log YOUR program. There have been people that have blamed MFP because they aren't losing weight. You cant blame MFP...its not THEIR fault. They give you the tools and you do the rest.

Having supportive friends really helps...that's a lot of the reason for the success of the people here...me included.

That's about it. :)
  • LMHinson15
    LMHinson15 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    All of what's been said so far is good stuff!

In terms of using MFP, my standard warning is that there are people on all sides of every issue/question. Find what works for YOU and go with it!

The other thing I'd mention is that connecting to encouraging and supportive people has been helpful for me. The accountability factor is really motivating!
  • goofylove89
    goofylove89 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Track everything the night before...even if something changes at least you have a plan.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Log in every day. Log EVERYTHING you eat, even if you go over...or even WAY over like I did yesterday. Also...don't be afraid to go over a little bit. Your calorie goal is a goal to be met, not to be crushed...meaning, it is NOT GOOD if you are under by 500 calories a day. If your goal is say 1400, you want to eat as close to 1400 as possible. If you work out, you will be alloted additional calories. They are to be EATEN. Your calorie goal already has you at the appropriate deficit to lose weight.

Um...other than that...have FUN...don't let the numbers make you crazy. Measure yourself regularly because the scale lies.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I would honestly suggest not attempting to eliminate eating at your restaurant. Eat smaller portions and make sure it fits within your calories/fat/carbs for the day (you can log it BEFORE you eat it to make sure it'll fit). Don't necessary put yourself on a "diet", just be smarter about portions and ensure you're getting enough water!
  • atoffan
    atoffan Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Some have been said above but here are three big ones for me.

1. Be honest recording calories. Portion sizes are easy to mess up. Count all cheats.

2. Set goals. Training for a specific purpose is a necessity. Both short term and long term goals whether it's weight or fitness goals.

3. Give it time. This stuff doesn't happen quickly if you do it right.

4. As a foodie, do something like earning snacks. Sometimes if I really want a snack I haven't really planned on then I go for a bike ride to earn it!
  • jesusgirl6200
    Options
    I'm new too. Ready to start getting into gear with something! Very helpful info on this post!
  • ErB56
    ErB56 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I think that the best advice I have received is that it isn't a "program". It is not like P90X or 30 Day Shred. It is a change. A change in the way you select your food. A change in how many calories you burn and how you burn them. For someone that is dedicated to it, it is quite beneficial to have a significant change in your knowledge. I highly recommend using the search feature and learn as much as you can about weight lifting vs. cardio, characteristics like BMR and TDEE. All of these together, along with what many others have said about honestly logging food and exercise, will give you your own, personal "program" of what works for you and what does not. The biggest thing to remember is that this is not a formula and it does not come with any guarantees. For every success story you read on here, you will find another story about how someone else did exactly the same thing and did not lose. This is one big experiment with a loose set of rules. The trick is to stay dedicated and informed so you can keep making tweaks to your exercise and nutrition until you find what works for you!

Good luck!!!
  • good2bthaking
    good2bthaking Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Be honest with what you log in

don't get discouraged when you go over- we all go over at one time or another

It's a life time change, not a fad

M ake a lot of friends on here, they are great for support and knowledge, and motivation.

Be patient, we didn't put it on overnight, it isn't going to come off overnight.

Set short and long term goals to help keep yopu motivated.

Best of luck, feel free to add me as a friend if you would like. My name is Norm.
  • cr8zyamy
    cr8zyamy Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Stay active, drink water, make healthy food choices.
  • wapntake
    Options
    Don't quit.

So you were weak and went over on calories. Big deal.

Don't quit.

Ugh, I'm so tired. I'm bloated and don't feel like doing ANYTHING!

Don't quit.

I'm depressed and don't want to look at how much I weigh. If you gained weight it's not a failure. It's a new point to work from.

Don't quit.

Those cupcakes were soooooo delicious, but my calorie count is TOTALLY RUINED NOW! Psht, just log em. Tomorrow is another day.

Don't quit.

I was away on business and I'm not sure how many calories I had, and I had a few drinks and didn't log anything for a few days! The diary is still there, waiting for you. It does not judge. Go back to it.

Don't quit.

Oh wow, this diet is making me fat! The numbers are totally off! So, fix the numbers and keep going.

Don't quit.

I've hit a plateau! It doesn't work anymore! Sure it works. Open up your diary and ask a few people to check out your profile to figure out how to fix it.

Don't quit.

If you quit you may as well have done nothing at all. Do you really want to waste all that hard work?

Don't quit.

Well said, nice post
  • dlcjr
    Options
    stick to it, it works. making yourself input everything you eat is the hard part, the rest is easy.
  • oliviaben2
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your posts! So nice to have people that are opening to helping. I finished up my food diary and it looks pretty good. Went over on proteins and carbs....yikes! Looks like I eat a lot of things with sugar in them. Good luck to you all and thanks for your support.
  • laurynwhite
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Here are a few quick tips off the top of my head:

- Drink tons of water
    - Weigh in once a week, no more often or you will get discouraged.
    - Find healthy foods you love and keep them handy. My fave is lowfat cheese sticks!
    - Choose your meal before you ever set foot in a restaurant. If calorie counts aren't on printed on the menu (they almost never are), you could end up very shocked after the fact.
    - Don't give up. It's SO worth it.

My #1 tip: Find a real-life weight loss buddy. Accountability is huge!
  • Kanlassak
    Kanlassak Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    If you're using the MFP default goals, you don't have to worry about going over on protein. It sets that goal pretty low.

Keep logging, even if you end up going over or eating junk. A lot is just being aware of what you're actually eating.

If you use things already in the database, check if they've been verified by multiple people. If they haven't, make sure to look at what the nutrition information says to see if it makes sense and the numbers add up right. Many of the entries are added by other MFP users, and some are missing information or incorrect, or sometimes using old data for a product that's changed over time.

Good luck!