Sugar intake

Options
So I changed my food diary to where it will show my sodium and sugar intake. The problem is that it says I can have 26 grams of sugar a day but it says I go over that number just in my morning orange juice alone. The orange juice is organic so it would be good for me because of the vitamins and what not. I'm waaaaay under the sodium levels which is a plus. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else has a similar dilemma or what I should do or if its real bad.

Replies

• mbruskotter
    Options
    I read recently in an Oxygen Magazine article that says each food product shouldn't have more then nine grams of sugar in it. I use juices that are made with splenda to avoid the sugar. I know some people are iffy about it and others just like regular sugar but the all natural stuff is like you said in the twenties per serving and with two little ones I can't afford to give them that much sugar in a juice. Hope this helps I use Healthy Balance by Old Orchard for juices.
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Yeah I just started watching my sugar too. Tropicana sells a brand of orange juice that is 50 less sugar than the orgin. It is only 50 calories for 8 oz. 26 carbs and 20 sugr. I don't drink it everyday but its not bad. They have a pineapple mango that is good.
  • annastasia76
    annastasia76 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    personally, when it comes to juices, fruit and such, I wouldn't pay too much attention to the amount of sugar in it because the fruit itself has tons of sugar naturally, I would just make sure that it doesn't have alot of added sugars, just check the label.
  • annastasia76
    annastasia76 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I just checked my sugar intake, so far I'm 58 over, I went over my sugar intake after only eating one banana and one apple
  • sollimalw
    Options
    You get more health benfits out of an actual peice of fruit than juice. Juice be gone!
  • justdoingit
    justdoingit Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Juice has tons of sugar in it, which is why I drink hot tea now and water. Also, the calories I blow on a glass of OJ or other juice don't help me when I'm trying to stay within a normal range. I will eat an orange, which has less sugar than a glass of orange juice and take a vitamin supplement daily. Also, kiwi fruit has tons more vitamins than OJ. Just eat the fruit, don't drink the juice....
  • murraygal21
    murraygal21 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    From the day I started dieting, which was November, 14, i have watched my sugar intake. I never go over my sugar number -- infact, I try to stay below it. My sister, who is an RN says it is more important to get items that are SUGAR FREE vs fat free. Watching my sugar intake was the best thing I ever started doing. I have lost the 34 pounds I've lost basically on cutting out sugar from my diet. I am a true believer in the fact that sugars are evil :-)

now, I do allow myself a treat every now and then, but never go over the sugar number. Juice is pretty much a nono. Have the fruit itself -- not the juice.
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Sugar is ok as long as its natural (ie: best from fruit, 100% fruit juice is ok too, but not as good since other nutrients are missing and you tend to get more calories with less satisfaction). The other condition for sugar being ok, is that you're moderately active afterward. You get a short term energy kick from sugar, so you need to use it in the 30-60 minutes after you consume. I'd recommend one of the 10min spark people workouts if you're at home. If you're at work, try a walk up the street / around the block.

If you can't do 10 mins of moderate exercise after a moderate natural sugar intake, best to avoid it except in small doses.

I just had 2 dried figs (14.4g sugar) and it pushed me over my daily 28g by 11am. The rest came from a nectarine and 1/2 cup of soy milk on my breakfast. It doesn't fuss me though since I'm going to the gym in 20 mins.