Probably a really stupid travel question (and cells)

Options
sizzle92
sizzle92 Posts: 1,015 Member
My parents are taking our little one to Hawaii in July so my husband and I plan to take a week in Jamaica then. What would be the best/easiet/cheapest form of communication during that time?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Roaming charges are brutal. Maybe see if the hotel offers an internet package?
  • sktllmdrhmzz
    sktllmdrhmzz Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    In my time, we were ever fond of tying messages the legs of trained birds. Much faster than a horsed messenger. You could get knows back in almost a fortnight!
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    The best way I have found is to buy an international calling card and use the payphones in the resort.

Have fun!!! :happy:

Or most resorts/hotels have pay by the minute internet kiosks if you prefer email.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    toss up between carrier pigeon and smoke signals
  • kylejh
    kylejh Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Get an unlocked cell phone and then buy a SIM card when you get to Jamaica.
  • Mickeyka
    Mickeyka Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try skype. It is free and works from phones or computers.
  • sizzle92
    Options
    The best way I have found is to buy an international calling card and use the payphones in the resort.

Have fun!!! :happy:

Or most resorts/hotels have pay by the minute internet kiosks if you prefer email.

This sounds like a great idea....IF I can't find a pigeon that is! :laugh:
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    maybe see if the hotel has a free internet connection or if you have a notebook that uses wifi you can communicate that way
  • sizzle92
    Options
    Try skype. It is free and works from phones or computers.

Gotta keep it as simple as possible for my parents lol
  • sizzle92
    Options
    maybe see if the hotel has a free internet connection or if you have a notebook that uses wifi you can communicate that way

Ya they could do email. I wonder if they'll take their laptop? I'll have to ask.
  • JenMull44
    JenMull44 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Try to book a resort with internet in your room. IF your parents have a laptop or atleast internet connection where they
    are staying it might not cost you more than $20.00 per day.
  • MarynEve
    MarynEve Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I spent the summer interning in England and I downloaded an app called Text Now on my iPad to text and call home with. If you have an iPad or maybe an iPhone or iTouch or something like that and there's wifi at the hotel, it could work. Oh, and if there's wifi,mthere's always Skype! Have fun on your trip!
  • Allishole
    Allishole Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If you have AT&T, call and ask for the International plan. it's monthly (I think $6) and you can turn it on and off whenever you need to (just call them to activate or deactivate) - I use it all the time (text, calls, and data) and have no insane bills.
  • sizzle92
    Options

Ya they could do email. I wonder if they'll take their laptop? I'll have to ask.
  • sizzle92
    Options
    I spent the summer interning in England and I downloaded an app called Text Now on my iPad to text and call home with. If you have an iPad or maybe an iPhone or iTouch or something like that and there's wifi at the hotel, it could work. Oh, and if there's wifi,mthere's always Skype! Have fun on your trip!

Yep we have iPhones! Loving these ideas!
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    My parents are taking our little one to Hawaii in July so my husband and I plan to take a week in Jamaica then. What would be the best/easiet/cheapest form of communication during that time?

Texting. AND DO NOT TAKE A SMART PHONE!!
    Buy a simple one at wal*mart and switch out your sim-card.

I know Tmobile works well in Jamaica. Turn off your phone unless you're checking for texts and make sure your provider knows you'll be in jamaica. most resorts also have computers you can use for a small fee to check e-mails. You can also leave voice mails on your parent's cell phone to play back to the kid. I'd use a few different ones. Have fun in Jamaica! My favorite place to vacation!

**An I-pad works well for video-chat as well. cheaper than minutes.
  • MarthaRN
    MarthaRN Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    FaceTime is great. Then you can see the little one. There is an app called viber that you can talk and text thru wifi. I make sure I turn off my data (iPhone), that way I know I am only using the wifi. We add international calling right before we leave and cancel when we get back. It gets expensive fast. My husband runs his business while we vaca so the phone is a must. He can rack up a few hundred dollars worth of charges in a week. We love Jamaica!
  • gaiareeves
    gaiareeves Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Teach your parents how to use Skype. It's honestly the best and cheapest way to communicate long-distance.

I've managed to teach my complete techno=phobe of a father how to use it so we can talk as I'm moving 6 hours away to go to Uni. If he can learn it, pretty much anyone can, ha.
  • sizzle92
    Options
    They do Skype at home but said they will not be taking their laptop. I think the calling card option is best! :)
  • sizzle92
    Options
    FaceTime is great. Then you can see the little one. There is an app called viber that you can talk and text thru wifi. I make sure I turn off my data (iPhone), that way I know I am only using the wifi. We add international calling right before we leave and cancel when we get back. It gets expensive fast. My husband runs his business while we vaca so the phone is a must. He can rack up a few hundred dollars worth of charges in a week. We love Jamaica!

I am guessing my husband will be needing his iPhone for his business too.....unless we simply bring the laptop.