any smokers ??

Options
I gave up smoking for a month and put on sooooooooooo much weight and did the mistake of starting again and now im smoking nearly 10 a day..i have lost weight and now dont know if it was coz of this or coz of the startig to smoke again....any way i would like to give up again but am scared to put on the weight...tbh the only reason i smoked again was coz i didnt wanna put anymore weight xx

Replies

• Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I smoke about 10 a day too now, gone up lately.
    Would really like to get back down to 3 a day then drop it like a sack of potatoes.
  • berryjk
    berryjk Posts: 120
    Options
    i am currently trying to quit! 21 days and no cig, but I do use the patch and the blu ecig. I have actually lost 6lbs in the last week, but the cravings are a *****! I just try and tough it out! Having the ecig really helps with the hand to mouth. sometimes whether I puff it or not I'll carry it around so i don't reach for food! I'd say you're losing weight cause you're keeping track on here, but also because you're probably grabbing for a cig instead of food to curb your hunger
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it is entirely possible to quit smoking and not gain weight. The first time I quit for any decent amount of time (3 months) I had just joined MFP and lost 24 lbs in those 3 months.

There are a few reasons why people gain weight when they quit. For one thing, the nicotine cravings feel very similar to food cravings...people feel uncomfortable so they eat and eat, trying to feel better. Eating also gives people something to do with their hands and mouths. Some people say the gain is because smoking increases metabolism. Yes, it is a stimulant but it's not enough to cause weight loss/gain on it's own. The stimulant aspect of it does help curb appetite though, so it's easy to go for a cig instead of having that snack. So yes, quitting smoking often results in weight gain but it's really because of the choices we make as a result of not having that nicotine.

The gain is NOT inevitable! It helps to remind yourself of that. I think sometimes people think the gain is inevitable so they figure there's no point in even trying to lose...so they eat badly and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you are aware of why the gain happens, and accept it's something you have control over, then you can prevent it.

Also, prepare for those cravings. Have some sugar-free gum, mints, and/or hard candies on hand. I found clementine oranges to be VERY helpful. If I had a bad craving at work, by the time I peeled and ate it, one section at a time, the craving would usually be gone or at least significantly lessened. I also started working out and reminded myself that if I started smoking again, working out would be a LOT harder and if I didn't work out, it would be harder to lose weight.

There are a lot of ex-smokers on here- maybe search for the forums for some groups so you can have support and get lots of tips. Losing weight while quitting smoking is totally possible. It's not easy but you can DEFINITELY do it. Good luck! :smile:
  • esonq13
    Options
    I quit 3 years ago, and have gained about 25 pounds. From what I hear nicotine really speeds up you metabolism, so if you're not smoking you don't have that extra boost. I do not like the weight gain and I'm probably not as active as I used to be either. But, I ask myself did I want to risk getting lung cancer or anything else bad that can come along with smoking or do I want to be fat. Lose lose situation, lol. I quit smoking and now I am really trying to drop these extra pounds. Most people I know that quit smoking did put on weight.
  • berryjk
    berryjk Posts: 120
    Options
    also...i was an "after every meal" smoker....end of a big meal left me wanting a cig. That full feeling ya know? anyways....watching your portions and eating little meals takes the edge of the hunger craving associated with quitting and frequently snacking on GOOD/HEALTHY snacks keeps your hands, mouth and tummy satisfied!
  • bleacheblonde
    Options
    I'm at about 3 or 4 a day, more on the weekends, and while I'm at work I try to suck on nicotine lozenges instead of taking smoke breaks. I really should quit though before it gets out of control :( Sadly, it really helps me control my anxiety, which is the main reason I do it. When life is great, I feel like I don't need one. When I'm worrying about useless stupid crap like I often do, that hit of relaxation is soooooo welcome.
  • mownt
    Options
    I quit (cold turkey) just over 3 months ago and have lost 17 lbs so far.
  • Justa_Paperbag
    Justa_Paperbag Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I was a pack a day, and quit for 6 months, using a V2 ecigarette. I didn't have any cravings that the ecig couldn't help, and after a month or so, even the hand-to-mouth thing decreased and I only used the ecig when I'd be most likely to feel like I NEEDED a cigarette (driving long distances, or after a meal, or if I had an alcoholic drink). I was able to even step down my nicotine dose in the ecig, and had a 0 mg cigarette, which gave me the "feeling" of smoking, without any actual nicotine. I'm sure there are rules against posting discount codes and stuff like that for other sites, but if anyone decides to try the brand, I have a 15% off code that I'd be happy to share. Also should add - I LOST weight quitting, because I felt better and wanted to do more cardio, because I found myself feeling like I could push myself harder.
  • eecruzmd
    eecruzmd Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I am a smoker but I've slowed down and I only smoke 3 or 4 cigs a day. I don't smoke until after I do my workout. I am afraid to quit smoking completely and gain weigh. I am aware it is a psychological thing, you know the hand-mouth motion, so I am taking it easy. One thing at a time, one habit at a time...

Things to Overcome List:
    Soda Pop Addiction (CHECKED)
    Over-eating (CHECKED)
    Cigarettes (Almost)
  • Musikelektronik
    Musikelektronik Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I quit on January 31, and then starting losing weight in early March. I'm down 33 lbs. So it's entirely possible to lose weight without smoking. Besides, smoking sucks!
  • Proyecto_AN
    Options
    Smoked 2 packs a day, quit like 3 years ago.
  • TNTwedell
    TNTwedell Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Im terrified of the weight gain also!
    Its so much more out of habit and peer pressure (all my friends and husband smoke) but we want to start trying for kids, so I figure I should probably quit when its MY choice - not when I have to
    I actually have an appointment with a hypnotherapist next week to help me quit ~ fingers crossed :grumble:
  • blondie1471
    blondie1471 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    i used the inhaler and it really did help the 1st days were the worst i couldnt even sleep and my god i was starving all the time...plus i was very moody and i hated that i was like that with my 20 month old daughter so i thought id start..grrrrrrrrrrr i really dont mind the 2 or even 3 a day i just do not wanna fall back to the 20 plus...i will def give it a go...sounds really stupid but id rather loose the weight first then maybe when im slimmer and wouldnt look too bad with extra pounds give up completly ...
  • blondie1471
    Options
    thats sooo true x
  • Bakerchk
    Bakerchk Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I quit on January 31, and then starting losing weight in early March. I'm down 33 lbs. So it's entirely possible to lose weight without smoking. Besides, smoking sucks!

Congrats! I quit before and didn't gain weight. Everyone is different I guess. I smoke a pack a day (FML) and unfortunately could not imagine my extremely busy/stressful schedule without it. :(
  • blondie1471
    Options
    you really have to want to give up...i smoked during pregnacy bout 5 a day and just couldnt pack em in...and 18 months later i did it...but coz of the weight gain and im talking 6 kg in a month i started again x
  • bada_bing
    bada_bing Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything Moxie 42 said.

If you want online smoking cessation support (which I used and still visit occasionally), join this group....you won't be sorry. I am 18 months quit after 43 years of smoking. I credit my success to the free online support group who has been there and done that. And I am still at the same weight as before.

http://forums.about.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?folderId=4&listMode=13&nav=messages&webtag=ab-quitsmoking

CHECK it out and see for yourself...as I said, it is just people quitting smoking...some successful, some not!

Donna
  • martincsaint
    Options
    If you really really want to stop smoking, forever, please read Allen Carr's, Easy Way To Stop Smoking. I was lent a copy of this and it took me months to pluck up the courage to read it. Deep down, I was scared to death of 'giving up' smoking and never having that crutch again. I had been smoking for 30 years and couldn't imagine a life without cigarettes.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I read the book over two years ago and I've not touched a cigarette since, nor did I feel any particular cravings to smoke again. I know several people who have stopped smoking, after reading the book, and none of them have started again.

For the price of a packet of cigarettes (in the UK at least) what have you got to lose?

Martin
  • prairiedawg2014
    Options
    i smoke a pack a day. i wanted to lose enough weight to allow for any weight gain when i try to quit. now that i have surpassed my goal, iam too scared to quit for fear of putting any weight on. its just a vicious circle!
  • btrippin
    btrippin Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was a pack a day smoker, and I quit about 3 years ago with the help of nicorette gum. I still chew 1-2 pieces of the 2mg gum per day. Smoking is such an awful thing to do to yourself that my advice is to quit now no matter what. In a few months you'll be better equipped to lose weight because you'll be able to exercise more anyways.

It's the year 2012. Smoking is really not cool anymore.