Do you have a rest day?

Options
I am curious about this. Does anyone make sure to rest at least once a week? If so, what does that entail? No exercise at all? Or just going for a walk instead of a run etc. I usually walk for about an hour and a hald at 4.5mph with arm weights (on treadmill). Should I skip this entirely and skip any kind of exercise (not including walking to uni/shops etc, nececcity stuff obv)?

I feel kinda guilty if I didn't do anything, but is it harming my body to not rest?

What does everyone think?

Replies

• midschool22
    midschool22 Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I take one day a week off the bike. Your body needs rest. Listen to it. I also have a recovery ride the day after a long ride. Can't tell you how good that feels sometimes. Just to cruise at 10mph the day after a hard ride.
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Rest Sundays -

Stretch
    Foam Roll
    Floss (elastic bands)
    Drink Tea
    Take a Nap
    Drink a TON of water
    light jog/brisk walk
  • Kat120285
    Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I listen to my body and if I feel I need it then I'll rest on Sundays ... which is made easier now that football is back :smile:
  • pinkgumdrop123
    pinkgumdrop123 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • lax75
    lax75 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I take one day a week completely off, obviously other than the normal walking around of everyday life. But nothing I have to put sneakers on for! I picked Friday to be the day because my mood is generally much better if I've exercised (one reason I do it in the morning), but Fridays I'm generally in a pretty good end-of-week mood anyway so it's not so noticeable!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, but I personally love my rest day. I look forward to my Fridays as the true start of my weekend because I know that I have no workout that I have to do after work that night. My Thursdays are strength nights (sometimes strength and a run) and my Saturdays are intense cardio, so that day off of rest is a great day for me.

Now, tell me to take more than one rest day, and we'll have words. lol

Some people prefer to consider their "rest" day a day where they only do light cardio or something similar and others like to take every other day off. It ultimately comes down to what feels best for you. For me, once I followed a regular schedule that included a rest day, I stopped being plagued with constant injuries. Others don't have that problem and feel that a rest day makes them feel lazy. But I personally think that the body needs at least one day a week to totally recover and get you ready for the workouts ahead.