Is Black Coffee An Acquired Taste?

Options
I can't do it. I just can't enjoy a cup of coffee without sugar. And a lot of it. I can do it with espresso. I'll drink straight espresso shots no problem. But when it comes to drip coffee it just tastes awful to me.

I've tried different kinds. I've bought cheap coffee, expensive coffee, etc.

So the question I guess...do you get used to black coffee? I hated gin the first time I had it too but eventually started to love it.

Replies

• 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Totally an acquired taste.

There few coffees I like black. It's rare that I drink black coffee.

And I love espresso.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    it is but I made the change this year. I started slowly reducing what I put in it...

cream and sugar
    skim milk and sugar
    skim milk and truvia
    truvia only
    then black
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    hrmmm I thought black coffee lacked cream not sugar ..... ive been totally lying to myself
  • MarisMom5312
    Options
    I have been trying. I now put low fat milk and a little sugar in my coffee. I dont know how much farther I will be able to get lol...
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    I can't do it either. I have tried and tried. I can't stand the taste of black coffee and have to drink it with cream (and Splenda). In fact, if I have to drink black coffee, I'd rather not drink it at all.

I just make sure I include it in my calorie count.
  • zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I put like a half teaspoon of splenda in mine, best I can do haha
  • scottg1024
    Options
    It could be you're just not making it strong enough. I've always been a black coffee drinker (same with tea - the taste of creamer just makes me think of as a kid my mom giving me tea when I was sick) and I honestly can't stand a cup of coffee that doesn't TASTE like coffee. Now I don't care for Starbucks, but you can give me McDonald's coffee any time and that is awesome straight up. Really there's nothing nastier than tinted water - and that's what the folks at work consider coffee.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I only ever have black coffee - very strong, without sugar, and only 2 or 3 times a week. You will get used to it given time and experience; and it tastes the best!
  • fieldsy4life
    Options
    I think lighter coffee does require something extra - which is why I don't like lighter coffee. It's like fat-free Greek yogurt; it's gross without the extra flavors.

If you like espresso, you definitely need to find a good dark roast. At work I bring the Starbucks Cafe Verona. Definitely the best thing for Keurig.

At home I have a Tassimo machine and like the Gevalia Dark Roasts.

But yeah. Black coffee is the way to go when you're dieting. You can cut out so much junk from going black (you may never go back).
  • LaurenLite
    Options
    It is, I started decreasing the sugar/milk and then when I got to almost black I started adding a little water to make it less potent. Now I like it dark, strong, black. My friends say it would take the hair off of the loup garou.

I love my Keurig Vue because I can brew the stronger version for me and the "regular" for my friends. And yes, as someone else said, once you go black, there's no going back. It's just too sweet and unsatisfying. It's like soda- once you go completely off of it, the stuff is awful and it actually burns your throat if you even try to drink it.
  • CrystalFlury
    CrystalFlury Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    It is an acquired taste. I used to be the person who drank a little coffee with my cream and sugar. I gradually "trained" myself to try drinking it with less and less creamer. I can drink it black as long as it's a quality flavored coffee. I still need my sugar, but instead of regular sugar I use ONE pack of Sweet n Low--it's sweet enough to give me that sweet/dessert coffee taste I like.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    You can cut out so much junk from going black (you may never go back).

I've heard this before....
  • fueledbychange
    fueledbychange Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I started drinking coffee black when I was 12 - I loved the stuff! Still do, haha.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I don't think so. I began drinking black coffee when I was only 5 years old. My grandma always drank hers black, and I would drink hers. Decaf, of course. I've always loved the smell and taste of coffee. I got my first coffee maker when I was twelve and discovered the beauty of full caffeine coffee when I was in 10th grade.
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I find strong black coffee has a bitter taste. By diluting it with milk, sugar, water, the bitterness is also diluted. I now drink it with typically no more than one packt of sugar/sweetner. I also prefer iced tea with no sugar and dilute highly sugared drinks with water and they still are plenty sweet. Its an acquired taste.

The less sugar your consume, the less sugar you crave...
  • chinatbag
    chinatbag Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends. I myself really like some coffees sans creamer and sugar. Sometimes some blends of coffee just need it.

I really prefer the taste of cold brewed coffee, it's less acidic, less bitter, and I believe it also has a higher caffeine content than say, if the same bean were to be brewed in hot water.

So to answer your question, I guess it really is an acquired taste.
  • SBlost
    Options
    I love black coffee..now!! I hated it for the longest but I started making it straonger and I like the dark roasted the best. I love the smell of it more than the taste though.
  • lukeevans85
    lukeevans85 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends. I myself really like some coffees sans creamer and sugar. Sometimes some blends of coffee just need it.

I really prefer the taste of cold brewed coffee, it's less acidic, less bitter, and I believe it also has a higher caffeine content than say, if the same bean were to be brewed in hot water.

So to answer your question, I guess it really is an acquired taste.

I'm not sure I've actually had cold brewed coffee. I'll have to try that.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options

Ditto. Cold brewed is delicious black. And the caffeine content is quite a lot higher than the equivalent hot brew
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    It's a taste I acquired when I was little (we had one thermos, and were a skiing family. So, approximately, at 10, since my dad was opposed to drinking instant coffee.)

I think, though, that very strong coffee might help you transition, since you already drink espresso.... watery black coffee is a taste I have not yet acquired (nor "diner" as a style.)