Seems like I'm allowed TOO many calories??

Options
Hi all!

Okay so I'm allowed 1600 calories a day to reach my goal of losing 2 lbs per week. I'm exclusively breastfeeding which gives me roughly another 300 to 400 a day plus doing strenuous cardio which generally gives me another 200 calories a day. 2300 calories seems like a ton and I always have plenty of food if I do it right. I thought I was supposed to feel deprived lol! I've even been having half a cup of ice cream every night as a treat and I'm still under my calories! Anyone else experience this?

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, you've just learn that losing weight doesn't have to mean deprivation!

Try these numbers out for a month or so and if you aren't losing then you could drop a little, but as you're breastfeeding, I'd encourage you to eat what is recommended at this point,you don't want to risk your baby's health or nutrition.
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    The only way to know for sure is to try it for awhile and see how it goes. You are BF'ing so that does burn calories and it's important not to cut calories too low. In the meantime, enjoy that ice cream!
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    how long have you been at it? Are you not getting results? Give it a while and see. Some days my 1700 plus exercise calories seems like a ton, some days it feels like next to nothing, but it's the consistency that my body is working with. But every body is different... see how you feel about it in a few weeks.
  • Are you losing 2lbs a week?
  • MamaWalkingBear
    MamaWalkingBear Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    It seemed like it to me too, but I don't eat all my calories during the day. I am working on feeling satisfied, and not deprived, so it all works out. Different mental game for me :happy:
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I thought I was supposed to feel deprived

No, absolutely not. You're supposed to feel the greatest you've ever felt.
  • nsmith6325
    Options
    It was difficult for me to grasp as well but after a 6 month plateau I finally gave into the logic, started eating more and lost another 30 lbs. I am no longer a doubter. Everyone is different but be patient and don't make adjustments too quickly as you need to know how your body is going to react before you make a change. Don't be afraid to experiment for a week or two to see what happens. You are not going on a diet, you are learning how to change your eating habits for life. Stay focused on learning what different foods and quantities do to your engergy levels, moods and weight gain or loss. Good luck.
  • rcalvert1
    rcalvert1 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    bump
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Please do yourself and your baby a favor by assuming a small deficit. People tend to go crazy by cutting their intake by half and then doing an insane amount of exercise instead of gradually decreasing below maintenance - which most people do not even know what their range is to begin with - to see how their body responds.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Yaaaayyyyyy, food!! Food is good, you need it! Yay!

Also, breastfeeding, you REALLY don't want to restrict your calories too much, no way.
  • Jonahyona
    Jonahyona Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Lucky. I feel like the 1500 I get is not enough. :/
  • Beckysweetart82
    Options
    I've only been at it for a week. I was losing like this before I had my son 6 months ago and now I'm back at it again. However, it just seems like an additional 600 calories a day (working out=200 and Bfing-400) is quite a bit of food! I've also heard that if I want to see results I shouldn't even take into account the additional calories from exercising. What's the point in eating the calories that you're trying to burn off? Am I making any sense lol...
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    1600 seems high to have as a base. Have you counted an active lifestyle in that calculation? If so you may be adding too many calories back with exercise. I've got over 100 lbs left to lose and my calorie goal is under 1400 for a 2 pound a week loss.
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Because MFP already builds in a deficit into your calorie intake, and it's not "assumed" that you will be exercising- you actually have to do the work to earn those calories- so when you do the work- eat them!
  • StrawberrySt
    Options
    Look after your body and your baby and eat! You are burning extra calories from breastfeeding which means your body needs those calories back to keep you healthy and with energy! I'm sure you need all the energy you can get with a little one to look after.

If you find it hard to reach your calorie goals just remember to encorporate lots of good fats and lean protien in your diet and stay away from high sugar and sodium foods like 'low fat' and 'diet'
  • crazyvermont
    crazyvermont Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Find myself in same boat and actually feel stuffed some nights. My trainer has me on 2100 calories....not hitting most days when workout added in. Have lost 52 pounds since November 2011, so guess she has it right:)
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I thought I was supposed to feel deprived lol!

Deprivation isn't sustainable. It's so much better to feel that this part of your life is under control and satisfyingly normal, which is a whole lot easier when you allow yourself to EAT.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I've only been at it for a week. I was losing like this before I had my son 6 months ago and now I'm back at it again. However, it just seems like an additional 600 calories a day (working out=200 and Bfing-400) is quite a bit of food! I've also heard that if I want to see results I shouldn't even take into account the additional calories from exercising. What's the point in eating the calories that you're trying to burn off? Am I making any sense lol...

Have you set your activity level to sedentary? If you have it set at active, and then add in exercise level that might be where you are coming up with too many calories.
  • Beckysweetart82
    Options
    Well my goal is 160 lbs at 5'8'' and I want to lose 2 lbs per week. I have semi-active lifestyle as I waitress part time and I'm on my feet quite a bit. 1600 is what they gave me.
  • RedDolch
    Options
    You do want to eat more for two main reasons. #1 Multiple meals/snacks increases your metabolism this is even more increased by working out as long as you are getting into the vigorous heart rate stages. #2 Your body is breaking down the fat and muscle for energy, if you don't eat enough through out the day your body will stop burning the fat and just burn the muscle. Your body does this because it thinks it is getting starved so it will store fat (energy) for hard times, like a squirrel storing nuts for winter.

I suggest trying out the suggested calorie intake for a month and see where it gets you, if it doesn't show improvement you want then you could adjust calorie intake, carb intake, and workout regime from there.