How 'nutritious' is haggis?!

Options
I'm going to the Scottish Highland games in a week. I'm bound and determined not to be TOO bad about my eating/drinking while I'm there. Definitely staying away from the scotch egg (that's a hard-boiled egg with a sausage patty wrapped around it, battered and deep-fried, served sliced over a southern-style biscuit covered with a ladle of sausage gravy). No humongous strawberry shortcake, no fried dough, no shortbread cookies - but I still want my haggis with a nice Scottish ale to wash it down.

Do you think haggis is gonna be in the database here? :laugh:

Replies

• HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I just answered my own question - haggis IS in the database, over a dozen options. Too funny! :laugh:
  • doodles80
    Options
    Isnt haggis offal?! But then again liver is good for you and thats offal..how does it stand in the calories department out of interest?
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Haggis is fine and probably better than some of the sausages you can buy in supermarkets.

I am slightly scared by the sound of that scotch egg though!!! One's that I have eaten (in the UK) are normally covered in breadcrumbs and oven baked....
  • katcunock
    katcunock Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    don't know where you're getting your info about scotch eggs, but they're not usually served with anything. Also, they're not usually deep fried, they're made with toasted breadcrumbs and then baked. You can also make them low fat by using a better sausagemeat.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    don't know where you're getting your info about scotch eggs, but they're not usually served with anything. Also, they're not usually deep fried, they're made with tasted breadcrumbs and then baked. You can also make them low fat by using a better sausagemeat.

I was going to say the same thing - scotch eggs are usually a solo act, never served with anything else (well, maybe except for a pint! LOL)...

Haggis is offal... organ meats provide an amazing list of vitamins and nutrients, healthy fats, etc. Like any other foods, keep it realistic. Ive had it once... not bad.. .but not enough to the point it pushes me to say OH MY GAWD I GOTTA HAVE IT AGAIN, if you know what I mean?

Scotch eggs can be VERY healthy... A friend of mine did a slight variety on it by using almond meal instead of breadcrumbs and it was AMAZING! (I have digestive/metabolic issues against the breads category)...
  • zoeluiisa
    Options
    I'm going to the Scottish Highland games in a week. I'm bound and determined not to be TOO bad about my eating/drinking while I'm there. Definitely staying away from the scotch egg (that's a hard-boiled egg with a sausage patty wrapped around it, battered and deep-fried, served sliced over a southern-style biscuit covered with a ladle of sausage gravy). No humongous strawberry shortcake, no fried dough, no shortbread cookies - but I still want my haggis with a nice Scottish ale to wash it down.

I think someone's been pulling your leg... Your scotch egg won't be served sliced over biscuits or gravy or anything else, it's a picnic lunch item that you just eat in your fingers. It's not battered and fried either, it's just a hard-boiled egg with a layer of sausagement, rolled in breadcrumbs. It's really not bad for you.

And I'm afraid you won't be coming across any strawberry shortcake, fried dough or cookies - they're all American not Scottish!

You will hopefully come across haggis though. It's delicious, and fine healthwise as it's made from offal and oats. Just don't have it from a fish and chip shop (they fry it which is a bit minging -it should be baked in the oven or boiled in a pan of water).

Enjoy the games!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    The Scotch Eggs I've had at "pubs" over here have never been covered in gravy or anything. It's been a while but I think they were served with some chutney on the side. They're so damn good.

Now I want Scotch eggs. May try to find somewhere for lunch to get them.
  • smiffy645
    smiffy645 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Scotch eggs also have nothing to do with Scotland, they were designed as a picnic snack by Fortnum & Masons in London!
  • zoeluiisa
    Options
    The Scotch Eggs I've had at "pubs" over here have never been covered in gravy or anything. It's been a while but I think they were served with some chutney on the side. They're so damn good.

Now I want Scotch eggs. May try to find somewhere for lunch to get them.

Scotch egg dipped in a good home-made chutney is a FINE thing indeed... :happy:

And yes, they are actually an English thing (though you can find them in Scotland too).
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options

I am so jealous, I hope you have a great time. If I went I would eat/drink everything and just go back to normal when I got back home.
  • zoeluiisa
    Options
    I just answered my own question - haggis IS in the database, over a dozen options. Too funny! :laugh:

Just noticed this - why is it "Too funny! :laugh:" that haggis is in the database? There's lots of Scottish people on MPF.
    *Puzzled*
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'm going to our local Highland Gathering and Games tomorrow - I'm excited! Unfortunately it's supposed to be 102º tomorrow (hello, summer? Hit the road!!), but still looking forward to it, food and all. Not sure I could be talked into trying the haggis though. :tongue:
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Wow - I actually didn't expect any replies, since I pretty much answered my own question!

The way I described the scotch egg is the way it's served up at the one tent that has them at the Games. Maybe I'm wrong about battered and deep-fried, but it's sliced in half, put on a biscuit and smothered in sausage gravy. I've had it before like this. Yum.

The sweets I mentioned are found at various tents at the Games - they're there every year. (I've been going to the Games at Loon Mountain for about 20 years now) The strawberry shortcake is bigger than my head! I *might* get a small Eccles cake....

I found it funny that haggis is actually in the database here because it's not exactly what I'd think of as healthful, being basically a sausage of organ meats and oatmeal. But I love it! :wink:
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    meh, when in Rome.

Might as well get a few deep fried mars bars while you're at it.
  • zoeluiisa
    Options
    Wow - I actually didn't expect any replies, since I pretty much answered my own question!

The way I described the scotch egg is the way it's served up at the one tent that has them at the Games. Maybe I'm wrong about battered and deep-fried, but it's sliced in half, put on a biscuit and smothered in sausage gravy. I've had it before like this. Yum.

The sweets I mentioned are found at various tents at the Games - they're there every year. (I've been going to the Games at Loon Mountain for about 20 years now) The strawberry shortcake is bigger than my head! I *might* get a small Eccles cake....

I found it funny that haggis is actually in the database here because it's not exactly what I'd think of as healthful, being basically a sausage of organ meats and oatmeal. But I love it! :wink:

That's so odd, I have NEVER seen scotch egg served with gravy or biscuits. I truly thought one of your friends had been winding you up about what we eat in order to make you nervous about your trip! I mean seriously. What on earth kind of biscuits is it? If you say chocolate I will vomit everywhere.

Puzzled about the strawberry shortcake and stuff too. I'd never even heard of Strawberry Shortcake until I went to America (even though we had Strawberry Shortcake dolls when we were kids, we didn't know what they were named after!).

Where in Scotland is it you go? Maybe I just need to get out of Edinburgh more often :laugh:
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

That's so odd, I have NEVER seen scotch egg served with gravy or biscuits. I truly thought one of your friends had been winding you up about what we eat in order to make you nervous about your trip! I mean seriously. What on earth kind of biscuits is it? If you say chocolate I will vomit everywhere.

Puzzled about the strawberry shortcake and stuff too. I'd never even heard of Strawberry Shortcake until I went to America (even though we had Strawberry Shortcake dolls when we were kids, we didn't know what they were named after!).

Where in Scotland is it you go? Maybe I just need to get out of Edinburgh more often :laugh:

I assume she's using the American term "biscuit", not the British term. A biscuit is a type of bread. It is generally made with flour, butter, buttermilk. It's soft and flaky and delicious.
  • wiltl
    wiltl Posts: 188 Member
    Options

I think she's in the US, going to the highland games in New Hampshire? Based on my google search of Loon Mountain anyway. Here in the US, biscuits aren't cookies but a bread roll item and generally not sweet. If you see "biscuits and gravy" its not like a chocolate chip cookie with sausage gravy over it. :sick: I can totally see where it would sound disgusting, just based on the different terms used!
    This reminds me that I should make some sweet potato buttermilk biscuits again this winter! yum!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Yes American "biscuits" are like a savoury scone.

never seen scotch eggs served as described, but that's not to say it doesn't exist!

Haggis is fine, I eat it quite often as my husband is very fond of it. Its fairly easy to obtain here in Ireland. Leftovers make particularly good stuffing for a portabello mushroom. Good protein, a bit high in fat, but on the whole, you could do worse!
  • zoeluiisa
    Options

I think she's in the US, going to the highland games in New Hampshire? Based on my google search of Loon Mountain anyway. Here in the US, biscuits aren't cookies but a bread roll item and generally not sweet. If you see "biscuits and gravy" its not like a chocolate chip cookie with sausage gravy over it. :sick: I can totally see where it would sound disgusting, just based on the different terms used!
    This reminds me that I should make some sweet potato buttermilk biscuits again this winter! yum!
    I assume she's using the American term "biscuit", not the British term. A biscuit is a type of bread. It is generally made with flour, butter, buttermilk. It's soft and flaky and delicious.

Oh, that is too funny! Yes, when she said "Scottish Highland Games", I assumed she was coming to Scotland... And since I thought we were talking about Scotland and Scottish food, I thought biscuits referred to Hobnobs or Digestives or something *heaves again at the thought*

I love MFP. It's like a cultural exchange programme sometimes :wink:

An American friend from Boston told me about your bready biscuit things once... they do sound delicious. I'm off to Google those sweet potato buttermilk ones right now!

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • zoeluiisa
    Options
    Haggis is fine, I eat it quite often as my husband is very fond of it. Its fairly easy to obtain here in Ireland. Leftovers make particularly good stuffing for a portabello mushroom. Good protein, a bit high in fat, but on the whole, you could do worse!

I've stuffed Portobello mushrooms with it too! Do you get veggie haggis in Ireland? Same oatmeal, but with chopped up kidney beans and carrots etc. That makes a great stuffing, really good inside a chicken.