What is healthy eating?

Options
Is there anywhere on this site to see what a dietitian/nutritionist says about healthy eating guidelines? So much information overload is out there today. I think I have the basic idea of what is considered healthy eating. I'd also like to hear what some of you who have had success, what you think healthy eating really is?

Replies

• sabrinarice
    Options
    I think healthy eating is sticking to fruits, nuts, whole grains, and vegetables. Limiting processed foods and the amount we eat also but making sure when we eat meat its organic as well as all our dairy and egg products.
  • laurynwhite
    Options
    Every dietician and nutritionist has his own take on "healthy," especially those who want to sell you a product. In my opinion, healthy eating is a matter of eating REAL food, and eating it in moderation and balance.

I figure that the Creator gave us everything we need to survive and thrive, and the farther we get from real foods like fruits, vegetables and proteins (i.e. the more processed), the less healthier it will be. I echo sabrinarice's advice and encourage you to keep to the outside edges of the grocery store—produce, dairy, etc.—while avoiding all the boxes and frozen stuff. If the label has words you can't pronounce, you should probably choose something else to eat.

If you're eating to lose weight, you want to keep the above in mind but keep your calorie count as low as you can. MFP does a pretty good job of recommending the appropriate daily calorie intake. Foods that are high in protein and low in calories like lean meats and skim dairy will give you the most bang for your buck in terms of nourishment. Drinking lots of water and eating lots of vegetables will give you a big boost and keep you from getting hungry. Find veggies you actually like to eat and keep them handy. Whole grains are good, but all carbs should be consumed in moderation when you're trying to lose weight. You'll notice that as soon as you start logging calories. Here's a good visual tool to use when planning meals: http://www.choosemyplate.gov/images/MyPlateImages/JPG/myplate_blue.jpg

Blessings on your healthy eating journey!!
  • milzu
    milzu Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Eat food, mostly vegetables, not too much
  • Brendajo510
    Options
    I think its all about balance. I wonder if anyone uses myplate.

ht_new_food_plate_nt_110602_wg.jpg
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    To me, healthy eating is preparing my meals myself so that I can choose what I put in my body. many people will disagree, especially about dairy, meat, and grains. You should read a variety of viewpoints so you can decide for yourself. You can also experiment with dropping out questionable foods and seeing if you feel better. I didn't realize I was lactose intolerant (to a disturbing to my life degree) until I cut out dairy. I thought the way I felt was normal and didn't even realize I could feel better. On the same token, too little carbs make me feel crappy and lack energy, so for me it is healthy to have some.

Trans fats are about the only thing I can think of that everyone agrees are unhealthy. I like http://m.helpguide.org/?url=http://www.helpguide.org/life/healthy_diet_fats.htm and agree with them on fats, at least.