Cook Book Recommendation?

Options
Looking for some recommendations on cook books that offer low calorie but high protein options with lots of vegetable dishes :)

or blogs, websites etc with the same :)

Replies

• Any Paleo book ever made. Lol! Seriously though, I just got Practical Paleo, as I plan to start omitting grains and all forms of dairy, because my tummy is always upset, and I think it may have to do something with the oats and greek yogurt. Anyway, Paleo is incredibly high in protein, because you eliminate processed and refined "foods" like bread (even Ezekiel bread), pastas (including quinoa pasta), oats (including steel-cut and gluten free), beans, etc; and eat a great amount of lean protein and healthy fat (for energy). Also, if you're trying to build muscle and/or an endurance athlete, and need those extra carbs that you'd otherwise be getting from bread and oats, then you'd can get adequate intake from sweet potatoes, squash, pumpkin, etc. The whole thought behind Paleo is to eat as close to nature as possible...eat real whole foods, and skip refined, processed junk.
  • kmburns3
    kmburns3 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am also looking for a good cookbook that includes the nutritional info. I know I can do it but it would make life so much easier!
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I just ordered the Hairy Bikers diet cookbook as I want some new ideas
  • AmelodyAngel
    AmelodyAngel Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Kimjanebrooks
    Kimjanebrooks Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Amazon have a wide range of brilliant cook books at very low prices
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com I live there. You can find a healthy recipe for almost anything. Plus the ingredients tend to be ones that I already have. No crazy ingredients that I will only use once!
  • lanie37
    lanie37 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Hairy Dieters cookbook is fantastic got it last week, brilliant low carb recipes.
  • wormstrup14
    Options
    taste of home, diet comfort foods cookbook. I have literally worn mine out i use it so much, the pages are falling out. It also has the nutritional information at the end of each recipe.
  • utahgirl247
    utahgirl247 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    hungry girl she always has great recipes and posts the nutritional info
  • edzigler
    edzigler Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Cooks.com
    Skinnytaste.com
    Cookinglight.com

I have used Cooks.com before .... great resource

THe other 2 I have looked at buthave not tried anything from them as of yet

Good eating to you
  • fit_librarian
    fit_librarian Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    My favorites are:

Love Soup by Anna Thomas--a ton of low-calorie veggie packed soup recipes. All of them are excellent.

Appetite for Reduction by Isa Moskowitz--offers only low-fat, low-carb, vegan recipes--almost all the ones I've tried have been delicious and it's my go-to diet cookbook.

The Vegetarian Epicure by Anna Thomas--some of the recipes in this cook are a little rich for a strict diet. But they're tasty and good for special occasions when you're on a diet.
  • laurie571
    laurie571 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Hungry Girl.. any of her books are awesome. She also has a facebook , a website and a show. Sign up with her and you will get a daily email with ideas and recipes as well
  • yarninaround
    Options
    Jamie Oliver's more recent cookbooks are very good, lots of veggie dishes and quick, healthy meals. I also use my Cooking Light magazines pretty heavily.
  • tuiccim
    tuiccim Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste is a favorite. Also, emilybites.com is really good.

http://www.cookinlean.com/ Cookin Lean like Paula Dean remakes Paula Dean and other Celebrity cook's meals for healthier results.
  • frogmasher
    Options
    I highly recommend a book called "Pretty Delicious" by Candice Kumai. I got it as a Christmas gift last year, and have loved everything I've cooked from it so far! There are not a lot of random ingredients that are hard to find, tons of veggies, and easy-to-follow directions (a must for me). She even has options to go vegetarian or vegan on the recipes, if that's what you're interested in. And nutrition info for every recipe - which is usually not that high (500 calories or less). I haven't really looked at the protein info, but I do know there are lots of good recipes with salmon and other fish. Hope that helps!
  • Serafimangel
    Serafimangel Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    THe marathon runner's cookbook is pretty good, it has pre and post bits and good ideas for breakfast lunch and dinner.