Runner's Advice

Options
2»

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    What am I supposed to be looking for in a shoe?

YOU aren't supposed to be looking for anything. Go to a specialty running store and let them fit you. They will analyze your gait and make appropriate recommendations for the right kind of shoe for the way you run, your height weight, etc.
  • jhunn123
    jhunn123 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    You all have been a great help! Thanks a lot
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    on a slightly seperate topic, what are some good music tracks for running?

I found a website called "JogFM.com" You can search by song, artist, or running pace. I am a newbie runner. I put a search for 10 min mile pace and a list of songs came up for that pace. I then went into my Itunes and made running playlists. You can also search by beats per minute. A 10 min mile is approx 150 BPM, {if memory serves me right}. You can also download songs from that site. I have no idea how much it costs.
  • jrax1
    Options
    I had a doc tell me to do this stretch when I had shin pain as a beginning runner - keeping your bare feet flat on a towel on the floor and, using your toes only, try to draw up or bunch up the towel. Sounds weird, but it was quite a stretch. After awhile, I no longer needed to do it. Good luck.
  • areufnkiddingme
    areufnkiddingme Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Im really tall and all legs as well - 37" inseam, my gait is 3.5-4 ft - I had to stop wearing cushioned soles because they were making ti worse, I switched to a half inch or thinner sole and dont have the shin splints anymore and the balance is worlds better. All that stabilizing on the cushioned sole was wreaking havoc on my legs.

I'm tall too and I find that thinner soled shoes work for me as well- personally I run in Vibrams but they aren't for everyone- they are definitely something you have to work into if you are not used to going barefoot a lot. A runner who has a lot of experience in your typical running shoes has strengthened their muscles in that way- I often see long-term runners switch to Vibrams and have immediate injury in their arches and ankles because they are not used to being unsupported by their shoe. They are, however, the only shoes that don't give me splints when I run. Yoovie and I are the same height, same inseam- the fact that thinner soled shoes work for her as well is something I find interesting and may be worth looking into.

Another tip I have for you that will help with your stride is to think about falling forward when you run. It helps a lot in keeping your stride where you want to be. Start out standing and slowly tip forward until you feel like you're going to fall. The step you take to catch yourself is the first step in your run. It's why track runners start out at an angle to the ground instead of standing up.
  • yallcallmedeb
    Options
    I have been flirting with shin splints but went and got properly fitted for running shoes at a running specialty store and that has made a huge difference.

When you are running, you should not be able to see your feet below you without looking down. If you can, you are over-striding and/or have a bad lean.

Someone posted this link in another thread about running yesterday and it is excellent! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaYQwq6TnXY&feature=youtube_gdata_player He talks about fore foot strike and does some drills that really make a difference. I tried them for the 1st time this morning and what a great run I had today!
  • heavensshadow
    heavensshadow Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Im really tall and all legs as well - 37" inseam, my gait is 3.5-4 ft - I had to stop wearing cushioned soles because they were making ti worse, I switched to a half inch or thinner sole and dont have the shin splints anymore and the balance is worlds better. All that stabilizing on the cushioned sole was wreaking havoc on my legs.

You think this is why I get shin splints? I'm 5'8" with a 33" inseam. I got stabilizing running shoes the first time I bought any because I overpronate when I walk/run. Not terribly, but enough to need the extra support. I get shin splints like whoa and HAAAATE sidelining myself, so I always end up making it worse.
    :grumble:
  • jhunn123
    jhunn123 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    So I made a look over lunch for a specialty shoe/running store, but I don't see anything that fits that bill around here. Can anyone give me some examples of stores so I can look for specific places.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    So I made a look over lunch for a specialty shoe/running store, but I don't see anything that fits that bill around here. Can anyone give me some examples of stores so I can look for specific places.

http://www.fleastcoastrunners.com/Store.html
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Can someone give me some running pointers? It seems no matter how long a rest to recover my legs, 10 minutes into my run my shins/muscle on front of lower leg are really hurting.

I know I am a heel-striker when I run because my gait is so long, but I am not sure how to fix that. Any help?

Question and answer are in your post.
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Well fitted shoes are excellent but unless you have a really good form your still gonna be in pain. You need to google running form and cadence. Form is the most important thing to get down at the beggining. Form='s less injury. =D