Calling All Low Carbers

Options

Replies

• Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    It seems most low carb people don't open their diaries to the public. Only a couple in this thread.

I was looking at this option and found if I eliminated grain and fruit it could do it but will stick with what I'm doing for now.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    30% Carb | 35% Protein | 35% Fat
  • projektai
    projektai Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    40/30/30 f/p/c although I never eat the 30% carbs allotted.

How do you achieve such low carbs? I've only recently found my macros, and mine is around 35%, or 116g per day.
    I usually eat filling foods like rice, and I have vegetables and whatnot. Excluding processed snacks, I feel like I still easily managed to go over that set amount.

What are you eating? Lol!

I don't eat any grains. It's actually pretty hard to eat a lot of carbs without them. Most of my carbs come from vegetables, then fruit, and some starchy veggies (like sweet potatoes) when I'm feeling fancy :-)

Btw, I don't think 116g/day is very high. I just keep mine under 100g/day to stay in a nice weight loss zone. Maybe you could try a smaller portion or rice or subbing it for some vegetables to decrease your numbers.

It's probably a good idea to cut my rice and substitute in some veggies. But then I need to figure out how to reach my calorie goals. This is going to take some tinkering! C:
  • digitalsteel
    digitalsteel Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    It seems most low carb people don't open their diaries to the public. Only a couple in this thread.

I was looking at this option and found if I eliminated grain and fruit it could do it but will stick with what I'm doing for now.

I think that eliminating grains from my diet had one of the biggest benifits of any diet choice I have ever made.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    My macros are 65 fat, 25 protein, and 10 carb. Not only am I losing weight, my health issues have vanished. I feel awesome!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options

My diary has been open to everyone since the day I started MFP. Most of my low carb/primal/paleo friends have open diaries to friends. I think many people eating SAD don't have their diaries open, which is funny when they post the "Help, I can't lose weight" threads. The reason many of us hide our diaries is because we get sick of the comments calling our healthy way of eating a "fad" and "dangerous". Our good health proves differently. I don't eat many carbs but I also eat more vegetable than the Standard American Diet and can usually be under 40g of carb, or 25g if fibre is deducted. It's very healthy for me to eat this way.
  • vanessairene
    vanessairene Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    20 carbs, 30 protein, 50 fat.

I feel awesome. My weight is slow to come off, but that's the story of my freaking life. I have an open diary, feel free to FR me and check it out if you're wondering the breakdown.
  • RenfieldX
    RenfieldX Posts: 87 Member
    Options

How do you achieve such low carbs? I've only recently found my macros, and mine is around 35%, or 116g per day.
    I usually eat filling foods like rice, and I have vegetables and whatnot. Excluding processed snacks, I feel like I still easily managed to go over that set amount.

Currently my macros are set at 25% carb, 45% protein, 35% fat. It's still a work in progress for me, and I'll probably tweek them again in a few weeks. Looking back at the last month, what I've been actually eating is more like 20% carb, 35% protein, 45% fat.

Achieving low carbs hasn't been that hard for me because I cut out grains due to a wheat/gluten sensitivity. I typically eat between 75-125g of carbs per day, with the majority of my carbs come from vegetables and some fruit. I've been eating this way for about a month and a half, and feel great.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options

I don't eat any grains. It's actually pretty hard to eat a lot of carbs without them. Most of my carbs come from vegetables, then fruit, and some starchy veggies (like sweet potatoes) when I'm feeling fancy :-)

Btw, I don't think 116g/day is very high. I just keep mine under 100g/day to stay in a nice weight loss zone. Maybe you could try a smaller portion or rice or subbing it for some vegetables to decrease your numbers.

It's probably a good idea to cut my rice and substitute in some veggies. But then I need to figure out how to reach my calorie goals. This is going to take some tinkering! C:

Easy: increase your healthy fats. Don't be afraid of fat, it is necessary and good for our bodies. The low fat insanity since the 1980s sure hasn't helped everyone get healthier imo.
  • spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    50 F 35 P 15 C
  • CharliePellegrino
    Options
    40/30/30 <carbs/protein/fat> I'm trying to tweak it... I have a hard time losing when I eat carbs. But, I don't want to give them up completely. I have a very physically active job and I also walk a lot, so I need some carbs. I crave potatoes and pasta, although I don't usually eat much of them. I try to get my carbs from veggies and fruit.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options

My diary has been open to everyone since the day I started MFP. Most of my low carb/primal/paleo friends have open diaries to friends. I think many people eating SAD don't have their diaries open, which is funny when they post the "Help, I can't lose weight" threads. The reason many of us hide our diaries is because we get sick of the comments calling our healthy way of eating a "fad" and "dangerous". Our good health proves differently. I don't eat many carbs but I also eat more vegetable than the Standard American Diet and can usually be under 40g of carb, or 25g if fibre is deducted. It's very healthy for me to eat this way.

Yes, I just looked at yours. The carabou dish caught my eye.

Thanks for sharing.
  • Meadows18
    Meadows18 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    55%F; 30%P; 15%C
  • tryinghard71
    Options
    I aim for 1g protein per pound, 25% calories from good fat, and the rest in carbs. So, not much left for carbs, which is a good thing.

^^^^
    Same here. I don't worry about carbs. I worry about protein. As long as I am getting a lot of protein and stay in my calorie limit then I don't worry.
  • jeleclekat
    jeleclekat Posts: 124 Member
    Options

I try to stay low carb and my diary is open. I was on and off low carb over so many years, it's a habit. It's hard for me to keep my calorie count where MFP has it, I always eat under the limit. Carbs, too.
  • audreanna76
    Options
    40/30/30
  • GenesisandEden
    GenesisandEden Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    bump =)
  • chachanumber1
    chachanumber1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This is really awesome if you're interested in net carbs...just a few minutes of configuration and MFP does it automatically. Changed my life! :)

http://cavemanketo.com/configuring-mfp/
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    40/30/30 - and i'm rarely anywhere near my carb allowance. I just try to get my protein to as near or over 100g as I can, and at least 20g fibre, plus getting in 5 portions of veg/fruit per day. The rest seems to sort itself out.
  • xepicjoshx
    Options
    Im on a Ketogenic diet, I set my carbs at 5%, in other words 70(fat)/25(protein)/5g(carbs). The fat is a little higher than most keto diets but because I don't want to exceed the amount of daily protein I need this is where i set it. BTW for net carbs just take your carb intake and subtract fiber.