Calories Burned Driving

Options

Replies

• cowperson
    Options
    Yes, I count it if it falls outside the normal driving I do. I drove 4 hours to another city and counted it.

Here's where the good sense enters into the equation. Don't use that burn as an excuse to stuff a hostess bar in your face. If you get hungry, EAT. Get some whole grain carbs. I had some bread with chickpeas curry. Did that exceed my normal calorie intake? Yes. Do I care? No. My body knows better than any tool how much food I need.

I suggest: Stop obsessing over numbers and scales. Use the tools for guidance and record but listen to your body for definitive advice.
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    in my opinion no because driving isn't exercise unless your fred flinstone and using your feet

!!!LOL!!! I used my kids play car the other day and totally missed the opportunity to count that!
  • muffintopminx
    muffintopminx Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Logging "Driving" makes about as much sense to me as logging "Watching TV". You're only deluding yourself and your body certainly won't be fooled.
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    Sarcasm aside, I could see if you drove the whole time without touching your back to the seat. That would work your core. But in all reality, you are most likely slumped as comfortably as you can get. If that's the case, I might count the hour I spend typing on here in a day.
  • KC45
    KC45 Posts: 1
    Options
    (Actually having driven for 12 hrs a day on Saturday as well as getting out of the car and running into the doctor's offices and hospitals to pick up lab specimens should count!) You are using your brain the entire time you drive, which requires calories to operate. And heck if I can find the energy after driving for twelve hours straight for anything other than dinner and a bath before bed. Especially here in Arizona when it is 120 degrees out and you have that sweat pouring from your body, your body has to burn extra calories to keep the sweat coming so you stay cool. I can understand not counting driving calories if you are only maybe doing an hour a day, but if it is more than that, you should count them, in my opinion. Here is a good article I came across regarding calories burned while driving. www.ehow.com/about_5452973_calories-burned-driving.html
  • sushisuzi2
    sushisuzi2 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Good question! I drive three hours a day in Los Angeles. I agree. My mind is NUMB from being at work for 11 hours, too.
  • werkbot
    werkbot Posts: 1
    Options
    I was about to remark that maybe none of you drive in/around LA county - I'm in the car for up to 3 hours a day, and I'm definitely tireder when I finally get where I'm going. Stop&Go driving is mentally and physically strenuous. if you're on I-10 in Arizona on a Tuesday at midnight, it might be casual, but on I-10 in L.A. on a Tuesday at 5:30pm, it's BRUTAL. Just try to relax - I dare you.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    It burns the same as sitting. I wear a BodyMedia Fit and frequently drive down to Southern California from the San Francisco Bay Area (and back, of course). I average the same exact caloric burn while driving as I do when I'm watching TV. There are occasional spikes, which may or may not be related to wild air drumming while singing along to the radio. ;)

But no, don't log it as anything, unless you also log watching TV.
  • wolfi622
    wolfi622 Posts: 206
    Options
    Don't know about driving. A regular passenger car in normal conditions is probably not that much more taxing than a desk job. But there are activities that seem stationary that actually are burning energy. I am a musician by profession. I play wind instruments, classical and jazz music. When I play, I am standing but stationary. But, playing a wind instrument engages the lungs and the diaphragm (a large smooth muscle), the heat rate increases, etc. I mark my activity level sedentary and log all my activity. It acts as a better motivator than assuming that certain activities are just "part of my normal activity". So, between references and my HRM, I have found that I can burn up to 200 net kcals per hour playing my instruments. My son is a violinist, which is also done while standing still, but burns even more energy per hour. So there are some things that athletes might assume are "non-active" things that actually use energy.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    How exactly does one burn calories while sitting down and slightly moving their arms? And I seriously mean that in a non-sarcastic way....

I wonder if the OP is a troll. Or very, very gullible.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I was about to remark that maybe none of you drive in/around LA county - I'm in the car for up to 3 hours a day, and I'm definitely tireder when I finally get where I'm going. Stop&Go driving is mentally and physically strenuous. if you're on I-10 in Arizona on a Tuesday at midnight, it might be casual, but on I-10 in L.A. on a Tuesday at 5:30pm, it's BRUTAL. Just try to relax - I dare you.

Experiencing mental stress is not the same thing as running on a treadmill.
  • FatToFit68
    Options
    According to Livestrong.com driving a light vehicle burns 132 calorie per hour.

http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/fitness/exercise/driving-light-vehicle-e.g.-car-pick-up/
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Yup, it's Friday. *sigh*
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I thought about that too when I had to drive a lot. But I am not sure I wouldn't burn the same amount of calories doing whatever that I can't record anyway. You are still burning calories when you are not driving that we cannot count. Hope this makes sense.:ohwell:
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Don't know about driving. A regular passenger car in normal conditions is probably not that much more taxing than a desk job. But there are activities that seem stationary that actually are burning energy. I am a musician by profession. I play wind instruments, classical and jazz music. When I play, I am standing but stationary. But, playing a wind instrument engages the lungs and the diaphragm (a large smooth muscle), the heat rate increases, etc. I mark my activity level sedentary and log all my activity. It acts as a better motivator than assuming that certain activities are just "part of my normal activity". So, between references and my HRM, I have found that I can burn up to 200 net kcals per hour playing my instruments. My son is a violinist, which is also done while standing still, but burns even more energy per hour. So there are some things that athletes might assume are "non-active" things that actually use energy.
    calorie burn from playing an instrument is in the area of 10-20 calories an hour. your 200 is including BMR.
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    How exactly does one burn calories while sitting down and slightly moving their arms? And I seriously mean that in a non-sarcastic way....
    I just have to say, your body is burnig cals in everything you do, wether its sitting at your laptop, preparing a meal and or sleeping. thats what tde is all about, we all burn all the time, it just dont stop coz your not exercising.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    In the next few days I have to do a far amount of driving, should I enter this in the system? I googled it, and I would burn around 420 calories on my 2.5 hr drive (which I have to do both thursday and friday).

but if you were not driving for that long you would have probably burned more just living, which is included in your caloric intake already. Don't log it.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ...I have to do a far amount of driving, should I enter this in the system?...

Now I've seen it all. :indifferent:
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Just driving a car...I wouldn't count it. But racing a car, that's a different story. Back when I use to race GT on road courses, I'd be soaking in sweat after only 30 mins on the track, and usually the next day, my arms, back and core where a little sore. That I would have counted.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I personally do not log things like driving or anything outside of gym/exercise time. Unless you are intentionally putting effort in to a workout and trying to burn calories, it shouldn't be logged. Once again, this is my opinion.

^^ this ^^ unless your calorie goal is set at 'comatose'- those things are just normal living calories= even 'sedentary desk job' people drive to work, walk the stairs to the office, cook dinner, do a load of laundry, sweep the floor when they get home.

But, you can count what you want to count- it's your weight loss journey. after 2 months, if it's working for you, then I guess it's fine. If, after a couple months, it's not working- then do something different.