Options
    bump
  • Karen_DisneyFan
    Karen_DisneyFan Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    bump...
  • zoeluiisa
    Options

Serve over rice/noodles/"cauliflower rice" etc.

What's cauliflower rice? Intrigued...
  • katrwal
    katrwal Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    i just posted a recipe for butternut squash apple harvest soup - with sweet potato, apple, leeks... let me know if you can't find it... turned out way yummy (i think i'll use a little ground ginger whenever i make butternut squash now - has a great flavor!).
  • dodihere
    Options
    Cut in half, bake for 30 minutes and scrape out the soft part and eat, plain. It is full of flavor - there is no reason to mask it with seasoning.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Some of these recipes sound amazing!

Try mine too--
    Cubed bns, a can of coconut milk, curry powder and chili flakes to taste. Simmer on med-low until you can peirce the squash easily with a fork. The coconut milk will thicken into the best sauce you have ever tasted!!!

Serve over rice/noodles/"cauliflower rice" etc. Make lots cause everyone will probably want seconds.

I made this for a friend once and she says it was so good that she still has dreams about it sometimes!

that sounds gooooood
  • ElleBee66
    ElleBee66 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Take the half brush it with some olive oil and a little salt pepper. Cook cut side down in a 425 degree oven for about 35 mins.

In the meantime saute 1/2 large onion or 1 small onion, with one portabella mushroom, with some fresh sage, 2 garlic cloves, and red pepper flakes (I use a lot because I like it spicy but just do to taste) Once onions are translucent set aside.

When the squash is done, flip it over and fill the hole and along the squash with the mushroom mix and cook for another 10 mins.

It is delicious, the spiciness of the mushrooms and the sweetness of the squash is yummy!

I have just done this, except I forgot the garlic (I love garlic! sad about that) any way, I also had a bit of smoked bacon left over from the weekend so I chopped it up and added it too.

Flipping Heck - IT WAS DELICIOUS! Thanks for the idea!
  • wilkyway
    Options
    Can you eat the peel, like a hokkaido pumpkin?
  • painauxraisin
    painauxraisin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Take the half brush it with some olive oil and a little salt pepper. Cook cut side down in a 425 degree oven for about 35 mins.

In the meantime saute 1/2 large onion or 1 small onion, with one portabella mushroom, with some fresh sage, 2 garlic cloves, and red pepper flakes (I use a lot because I like it spicy but just do to taste) Once onions are translucent set aside.

When the squash is done, flip it over and fill the hole and along the squash with the mushroom mix and cook for another 10 mins.

It is delicious, the spiciness of the mushrooms and the sweetness of the squash is yummy!

Thanks for this!
  • jms3533
    jms3533 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Butternut Squash Chili, from Epicurious. It is fantastic:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Black-Bean-Chili-with-Butternut-Squash-and-Swiss-Chard-234146

Here it is cut and pasted:

yield: Makes 4 main-course servings
    active time: 45 minutes
    total time: 45 minutes
    Top with chopped fresh cilantro, red onions, and grated cheddar cheese, if you like.

2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 1/2 cups chopped onions
    3 garlic cloves, chopped
    2 1/2 cups 1/2-inch pieces peeled butternut squash
    2 tablespoons chili powder
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    3 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed, drained
    2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
    1 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
    3 cups (packed) coarsely chopped Swiss chard leaves (from 1 small bunch)

Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic; sauté until tender and golden, about 9 minutes. Add squash; stir 2 minutes. Stir in chili powder and cumin. Stir in beans, broth, and tomatoes with juices; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until squash is tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in chard; simmer until chard is tender but still bright green, about 4 minutes longer. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle chili into bowls and serve.
  • RAWBMEOW
    Options
    cut in-half, sprinkle pepper and bake for 45mins. yummmm
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    Light mac n cheese: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/creamy-light-macaroni-cheese-50400000115195/

I've tweaked that one a bit by replacing 1/2 the butternut squash with 1 1/2 cups of yellow turnip and then for cheese i do 1 cup mild cheddar and 1 cup sharp white cheddar instead of what it has listed. I also found that 1 1/2 cups milk made the sauce way to runny and reduced it to 3/4 cups. Next time I might add an extra 1/4 cup milk but definitely no more than that. Also, adding some veggie pasta (barilla and ronzoni make ones) adds something extra.

DELISH!
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Yum! Bump!
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I mash it with some butter, pepper salt etc and it's awesome as a lower cal alternative to mashed potatoes.
  • fierceangel1982
    Options

Serve over rice/noodles/"cauliflower rice" etc.

What's cauliflower rice? Intrigued...

Cauliflower rice is made by either running cauliflower through a food processor or grating it. I haven't had a chance to use it in place of rice yet, but I make cauliflower crust pizza with it.
  • mangobadango
    mangobadango Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I added salsa the other day and it was actually really good.
  • alicia3097
    alicia3097 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I boil mine in chicken broth and blend it together for soup. I add one can of coconut milk, curry powder, salt, pepper, a dash of cayenne, onion powder, garlic powder, baby spinach leaves and shrimp. It tastes good with crescent rolls and/or jasmine rice.

That sounds delicious...I think I will try it, thanks :o)
  • AngieMoore1975
    AngieMoore1975 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I do mine in the best non-fat low calorie way.
    Cut in half scoop out seeds.
    Place on baking sheet bake in 425 degree oven for 45-60 minutes.
    When done roasting, scoop out of shell and mash.
    Add salt and pepper and I add a little low calorie margerine.

I dont think theres any need to add brown sugar as some have suggested because it has a very sweet taste already....but everyone has different tastes. Enjoy :)
  • Nikkie_too
    Nikkie_too Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    My favourite is just to peel it with a potato peeler, chop it into cubes and then roast it in the oven with olive oil and spices. SO GOOD... Tend to eat it with Puy lentils and a dollop of Greek yoghurt. Leftovers are good reheated in the microwave at work too.

^^ This but I add a little balsamic vinegar and fresh rosemary, salt & pepper. You can make a medley by adding some bell pepper, onions, mushrooms and even potato/sweet potato. Really high heat (like 450F) stirring every 10 min. Yum!
  • tnqnt
    tnqnt Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    my advice --- ROAST IT! ... Peel it, core it, and then cut it up in small chunks (about 1/2-1 inch square).... put it on a pan, drizzle with EVOO salt, pepper and cumin ... roast it in 450 degree oven 20-25 minutes, turn over half way through... make sure you get good caramelization... tastes like home fries! DELICIOUS!

You can then do anything with this stuff.
    If you want it pureed, put it in cuisinart and mix with sauteed shallots and nutmeg and stuff this into some wonton or egg roll wrappers with maybe some black beans and a teeny bit of Parmagiano reggiano , brush with eggwash or evoo and bake like a baked ravioli....

You can use this puree in butternut squash lasagna... Giada has an INCREDIBLE recipe here ( you can lighten it by reducing cream and using low fat milk or evaporated milk:
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/butternut-squash-lasagna-recipe/index.html

Cooking Light has a YUMMY recipe too, here:
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/butternut-squash-lasagna-10000000698656/

Or, just put the roasted bits in a salad or in burritos with refried beans...

can you tell I LOVEEEE Butternut squash?? YUM! Remember, let them brown a bit - caramelization is KEY!