too much protein???

Options
I never thought this would be my problem, but it seems like many of the foods I eat are high in protein. Is it bad to always be going over in my protein column? I'll still have 300 calories left for the day and have -17 grams of protein. Is it a big deal? Does anybody know?

Replies

• feeny
    feeny Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    i don't think it's that big of a deal. I go over on my protein most days.
  • crazyassmomma
    Options
    i go over my protein on most days. and actually the other day i went WAY over on protein and was just a tad over on calories and it said i would weigh WAAAAAAY less in 5 weeks eating that way.
  • one_hot_momma
    Options
    I've been here for 1 week and have gone over on protein every day. It's hard because many healthy foods are high in protein.:bigsmile:
  • sweetpeagal
    Options
    Foods that are high in protein and fiber keep you full. As long as you don't over do it (like Atkins where you eat nothing but meat basically) you're fine. :)
  • chicynth
    chicynth Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Well, when you think about diets like "atkins" it is not hard to go over in protein. If eating lean is better for us...then it would seem only logical that our protein columns would be slightly or even greatly more. I have never had exactly or less in the protein column. But I have also gone over in the fat column, as well.

I am just really trying to eat in a way that is going to enable me to lose weight but not unrealistically. In other words, I don't want to lose weight on a plan or way of eating I know that I will not stick to. I did that before...lost close to 40lbs. But when I wanted a cookie or something sweet...it seemed like the pounds would just stick like a magnet. I hope this time with "diet" and consistent exercise...it will be much different.

There are a few websites that discuss protein intake and the pros and cons of too much.
  • siobhannestor
    Options
    I think that the protein recommendations are very low - there is evidence that women who eat 90 grams of lean protein daily lose a little more weight than those who don't. My intake generally varies between 60 - 90 grams a day. Too much protein, however, can deplete the body of calcium since your body uses it to metabolize protein...
  • TwentyTen
    Options
    I have only been keeping track a few days, but this is the first day i have gone over on the protein, just a little, and I think I feel better for it. All my other numbers but for sugar were under. I think I am going to keep the protein up and get the sugar down.
  • samseed101
    samseed101 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    If you are actively exercising and lifting weights (as many people here seem to be doing) then i think you would have a problem if you DON'T go over on protein every day. The amount they suggest is a bit on the low side for someone who is trying to repair muscle tissue damaged from exercise.
  • krg918
    krg918 Posts: 36
    Options
    My trainer(also a dietician) says 1gram protein per kg of goal weigjt. Meaning if your goal wt is 150 lbs(68kg) u need toconsume 68grams of protein daily. 2.2 lbs=1kg
  • bethalaire
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone!! I talked to a friend who went to school and studied nutrition and she said going over on protien is not a prob unless you're going way over. As long as we're staying active, being over on protein is perfectly fine.