First 5K tomorrow. Any advice?

Options

Replies

• fareedthetrainer
    Options
    Don't get caught up in carb loading. Trust your self and don't worry about the time just know you are prepared and stay at your established training level. Good luck.
  • MrBdub24
    Options
    Start fast, middle fast, finish fast xD
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    To add on to what others have said:
    Get there early to ensure you find parking, get your bib and warm-up/stretch.
    I'm an AM runner so I do my regular routine before running - same amount of water and I don't eat
    I don't run at all the day before a run
    I know I'm a slower runner, so I start to the middle to back of the starting line.
    I use the runkeeper app so I have it tell me what my pace is... I get race adrenaline and often tire myself out too soon... so the app helps keep me in check.
    Don't wear the free shirts they give you - wear your normal running gear.
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    The big thing is to run at your own pace! Don't get caught up in anyone elses pace. The big thing on your 1st Run is to just finish.
    On your future races you just try to better your previous time. However, if the course isn't the same as the 1st run you have to take that into consideration. Again, the big thing is just consentate on your own normal pace, don't pay attention to what someone else is doing!!!!!

Best of luck, Add me to your friend list and let me know how you do!!!!!!

Basil
  • rubytOU
    rubytOU Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Have fun and run your own pace.

I usually eat ww toast with pb and a banana about an hour-hr and a half prior to the race.

Oh and get in line for the porta potty ASAP after you pick up your bib number on race day. :flowerforyou:
  • ginbookus
    Options
    Great for you deciding to do a 5k! I love doing them! You don't really need to carb-load for a 5k, just like you said stay hydrated which you already did. :) I would say just try to keep a steady pace and don't get discouraged by people passing you - it IS your first 5k after all! If people passing you would discourage you, then start out at the back so you don't have to see everyone going by. But if it doesn't, I'd start in front because the excitement of it is kind of fun. :) You'll probably end up toward the back with other beginners/walkers. Don't worry, you won't be the only beginner or walker! There are always quite a few of them and most people are very supportive in 5ks. They won't be looking at you thinking "What is this girl doing here?" they are more likely to be thinking "Good for her making a change in her life." At least that's what I'm thinking! I hope you enjoy it and have an awesome experience!! :D
  • crimznrose
    crimznrose Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I just did my first 5k last weekend. I've maintained Couch 2 5k every other day through the summer and the best advice I can give is a combination of what I read and what my stepfather gave me (he's a lifelong marathoner):

1. Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate
    2. Go to the bathroom before you start the 5k (this is a necessity after all that hydrating)
    3. Get there about an hour early to warm up, walk around and warm up those leg muscles
    4. NO ALCOHOL night before - messes with you the next day (race day)
    5. Don't eat a heavy dinner cause you'll feel it the next day
    6. Eat something light (preferrably with carbs and sugars) at least an hour before. (I ate two slices of Healthy Life wheat toast with jam before my 5k)
    7. Pace Yourself (too many first timers give it 100% right out of the gate and have nothing left by the time they crawl/stumble across the finish. Take an easy pace for the first 2 k's, slow steady at 3k then pour it on for the home stretch
    8. HAVE FUN! It's all about enjoying yourself and as someone who just did their first time I can tell you I was SOOOOO glad I followed all that advice and then really enjoyed my accomplishment.

Good luck tomorrow!!! :bigsmile:
  • Lisseth03
    Lisseth03 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    first thing's first, have fun!! are you doing it alone or with a friend?
    it doesn't matter if you're at the front of the line or at the back, just go at a pace that is good for you and enjoy it!
    you're gonna love it!
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I am running my first race at the end of the month, and it's a 10k. I haven't been a huge runner in the last decade, and I'm pretty nervous about it. The advice I have been given is:

-take water
    -run/walk at my own pace
    -just be a proud to finish

Good luck and most of all have fun! This is a huge personal accomplishment!
  • jenbroussard71
    jenbroussard71 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    lots of great advice - thanks for sharing!
  • iwasmadeforthis
    Options
    I always take a couple Ibuprophen, it just helps.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    But if it doesn't, I'd start in front because the excitement of it is kind of fun. :)

Please don't do this. Proper race etiquette is to line up according to your pace and projected finish time. Many (most?) runners are trying to beat their previous best times. Having to weave around runners that are lined up too far forward slows them down. Not only that, but it can be dangerous if a sub 6:00 miler comes up on someone running at 12:00 per mile. The last thing anyone wants is a pileup causing injuries.
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    But if it doesn't, I'd start in front because the excitement of it is kind of fun. :)

Please don't do this. Proper race etiquette is to line up according to your pace and projected finish time. Many (most?) runners are trying to beat their previous best times. Having to weave around runners that are lined up too far forward slows them down. Not only that, but it can be dangerous if a sub 6:00 miler comes up on someone running at 12:00 per mile. The last thing anyone wants is a pileup causing injuries.

Agreed! You still get all the same excitement further back.

And if you need to walk, tie your shoes or stretch during the race - move over to the right side out of the path of those behind you.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    * Plenty of water even before the run drink 20 ounces in the time before. (my race is at 8:30 a.m. so I'll likely get up around 6:30 a.m, eat a small meal and drink a bottle of water)

If you remain properly hydrated in the days and weeks before the race, then 20 ounces is not really necessary and may actually be too much. You'll end up need to go to the bathroom during the race. 8 ounces of water the morning of the 5K should be more than sufficient.

Yep. I'm also racing a 5k tomorrow. Hydration for that race is being determined by what I did yesterday and today.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    If you are going to run/walk at the same pace you usually do, then with regards to warm-up do what you usually do before a workout. You'll see lots of people warming up; you can save that for when you're trying to run faster (unless you usually do a warm-up in training, then do that).

As others said, line up with people you think will be going roughly your pace. Since you plan to run/walk and are a first timer, closer to the back is probably where you should start.

Don't try anything new. No new shoes, no new clothes, no new food, no new drinks. Experiment in training. Race day should be a familar as possible.

Have fun! Racing is really unique in that most people are racing themselves, and everyone realizes that. A few are racing for placement, but they are the minority - not you.
  • fabfindz05
    fabfindz05 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    If you are going to run/walk at the same pace you usually do, then with regards to warm-up do what you usually do before a workout. You'll see lots of people warming up; you can save that for when you're trying to run faster (unless you usually do a warm-up in training, then do that).

As others said, line up with people you think will be going roughly your pace. Since you plan to run/walk and are a first timer, closer to the back is probably where you should start.

Don't try anything new. No new shoes, no new clothes, no new food, no new drinks. Experiment in training. Race day should be a familar as possible.

Have fun! Racing is really unique in that most people are racing themselves, and everyone realizes that. A few are racing for placement, but they are the minority - not you.

Another vote for lining up within your pace. Just because you run\walk doesn't mean you need to line up in the back. If your pace warrants lining up in the middle, do so. I run\walk and line up in the middle of the pack.

My first 5K was the Turkey Trot last year in Dallas. I ran it with a friend. I was 2 miles in before I realized I hadn't walked! I ended up running the entire thing, sans a 15 sec walk.

Have fun! Run YOUR race.
  • EricaRuns27
    EricaRuns27 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Definitely pace yourself, & run what is comfortable for you. You know your pace! I agree I don't like getting stuck in a group faster then me either. But don't let them intimidate you. I agree with eating like u normally do on good workout days.

Me however, I can't run with anything on my stomach. Maybe a few sips of water. I've always been like that. U know ur body. Goodluck, & feel free to add me. I like keeping up with people of same interest as me on here.

Well I was going to add a pic, but I couldn't figure out how from my phone.
    But run like Ryan Gosling is waiting for you at the finish line!
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    no need for anything extra in terms of food or drink for a 5k.
  • ginbookus
    Options

Okay, this depends on the race. Because if you're doing a small-town race which is what I usually do, it doesn't really make a difference so long as you stay to the side and let people pass you, because there is still PLENTY of room. But you're right that if it's a big race where it's really crowded, it's a bad idea. I generally start out toward the back anyway though, not RIGHT in front, with some speedier friends and family who will end up going on without me. I guess I didn't mean to say 'in front' but not necessarily AT THE VERY END.
  • Colli78
    Colli78 Posts: 135
    Options
    first thing's first, have fun!! are you doing it alone or with a friend?
    it doesn't matter if you're at the front of the line or at the back, just go at a pace that is good for you and enjoy it!
    you're gonna love it!

I am doing it alone. I joined a women's run/walk group to train for a 5K and my friend that I joined with had to drop out after a few weeks with a knee injury. There were so many times that I wanted to quit because of this sudden onset of exercise enduced asthma, but I didn't and now it's here! So, I am "running" it alone, but I have my family and friends at the finish line to help me celebrate! :)