Addicted to avocados...

Options
I seem to be developing an avocado addiction. I have them with salad, with beans/lentils/quinoa, on rice-cakes, on their own... I think because they provide the texture of the creamy/cheesey stuff I've been cutting down on.

Just wondering if there's any down-side to an avocado? People go on about the fats, but they're good fats right?

Replies

• lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    The fats do not outweigh the other nutrients. They are one of the best foods you can eat. I eat one a day.
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    They are technically 'good fats'; however, over indulgence in anything is bad. They also have fiber and proteins. I'm like you, I love avocados, so I usually try to incorporate them into one meal a day to get my fix.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    LOVE avocados! They are such a fantastic food. Sliced on a turkey sandwich ... yummm ....

As long as you are working them in to your day in good ways and counting the calories (if you track), I say go for it!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    The only down side is that they have a lot of calories (due to high fat content). But if you're falling within your calories and not sacrificing other nutrients, eat away!
  • marsviolet
    marsviolet Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I usually eat one a day! LOVE them!
  • LNZimmer
    Options
    Oh my - me too. I think I could at 1 a day but I don't go to the grocery that often! haha
  • zoeluiisa
    Options
    Thanks guys, this is what I wanted to hear! I've been having one every two or three days, I might allow myself more.

Now, if only they were cheaper... :grumble:

ETA - Just found this article. All good news apart from the calorie count, but I don't mind that - would rather spend my calories on an avocado than a pile of biscuits.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/dietandfitness/3337073/Super-foods-avocado.html
  • laurabini
    laurabini Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    would rather spend my calories on an avocado than a pile of biscuits.

Exactly!! Avocados are great, I eat them very often and seeing that they'll benefit my health makes me want to eat avocados every day haha :D
  • Maria_81
    Options
    Avocados are great for you. Overindulging is not a good idea though
  • zoeluiisa
    Options
    Avocados are great for you. Overindulging is not a good idea though

Yes, but what would you consider overindulging, avocado-wise?
  • elizak87
    elizak87 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    You're meant to have no more than an eigth a day but I have a quarter. I wouldn't recommend more than that a day.
  • zoeluiisa
    Options
    You're meant to have no more than an eigth a day but I have a quarter. I wouldn't recommend more than that a day.

BOO! Do you know why that is? Is there something in it you're not meant to eat too much of? (As long as it fits in your calorie goal I mean)
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options

BOO! Do you know why that is? Is there something in it you're not meant to eat too much of? (As long as it fits in your calorie goal I mean)

Totally do not agree with this - if it fits into your calories eat all you want......
  • elizak87
    Options
    Its the amount of fat. While it is the healthy version of fat, it is still fat. It will bump up your fat intake
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    As long as you're accounting for the fact they have around 300 calories each, I don't see a problem. They're loaded with monounsaturated fats (good), potassium, and they very satisfying! I'd go so far as to say there's about 800 calories worth of happy tummy in one 300 calorie avocado!
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I'f it fits into you calorie intake I'd sake go for it. So many benefits.
    I also love them when studying as they co rain the 'brain food' lecithin :)
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, this is what I wanted to hear! I've been having one every two or three days, I might allow myself more.

Now, if only they were cheaper... :grumble:

Asda do a pack of four baby avocados for £1.20. I buy these, and often eat one a day.
  • elizak87
    Options
    Google it.
    Avocadvos have about 28 grams of fat in them. Which will be for some people most or half their daily intake in fat
  • zoeluiisa
    Options
    Google it.
    Avocadvos have about 28 grams of fat in them. Which will be for some people most or half their daily intake in fat

Yes, but as long as it fits into your daily intake, how is that a problem? Better some good fats from an Avocado than bad fats from a takeaway pizza...
  • amberlilies
    amberlilies Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    They are calorie-dense on top of the nutritional value. I think it's great that you're eating them as long as you're keeping track of how much.