Help needed...

Options
I need to be honest with myself....

Ending week 2 today and this point is where I seem to ALWAYS give up. About 2 years ago I stuck to it for months and got into the best shape of my life...now, each ti me I re-start I get so dissapointed I don't see much change after only 2 weeks. Am I crazy? I KNOW it takes time but I seem to want to stop. Maybe I'm disappointed in what I have let myself get to. Diagnosed with IBS in January of this year and I was so depressed I let myself go..My wedding is 8 montsh away and even thought my dress fits PERFECTLY and I feel so sexy in it (which is a good thing right?) I still want to change. I have become so unhealthy and constantly felt like crap because of my IBS. The last two weeks have been life changing...No IBS symptoms, which makes me feel so good, and I have lost 2lbs- so why do I want to give up? I don't know. I need help staying motivated, that is for sure.

:embarassed:

Replies

• Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Motivation for me is buying the small clothes and looking and feeling great in them!! :flowerforyou:
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Be in this for the long run.
    The rest of your life not 2 week increments.
    Patience
  • tinad120
    tinad120 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Motivation has to come from within. Just keep reminding yourself WHY you're doing this. If it's only to look good in your dress, then you've achieved that. But if it's to be healthy, fit, whatever- a goal you haven't achieved, then why give up? There is NO GOOD REASON to give up on your goals- even if you see no progress, you FEEL it.
  • junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    So, this sounds about the same as my life.... a few years ago I dropped 56 lbs and was well on my way to a healthy and happy weight/life. I began to have stomach problems and also have IBS and everythign went downhill from there. I gained 30 lbs back quickly and then no matter what I did it wasn't good enough. I didn't get results as quickly as I did the first time and with the new food restrictions every pound was a battle.

Here is my advice:

You are doing an amazing job and you need to tell yourself that EVERYDAY. You are working hard to change your life, get in shape, and are consious about every single thing you put into your body. How many people out there can say that? You take an active interest in your body and know that you can do it. The problem is here being too hard on yourself and then that snowballs into this big monster that we don't seem to know how to control.... NO MORE SELF LOATHING!!

If you are doing great and then maybe eat something you know you shouldn't or have a few bad days... who cares... move on. You are only human and for the rest of our life it would be IMPOSSIBLE to be perfect everyday right? That's because we aren't perfect! Have fun with it, meet new amazing people here on this site that can help to support you and keep you motivated.

I have no doubt that we struggle with a lot of the same things with IBS in the picture. I had to give up so many foods that I love, but I have worked hard to keep up with being healthy and happy.... remember to tell yourself that you are doing a great job everyday! This is going to help to abolish those negative thougth patterns!!

Don't give up! Results are still going to be coming!! I have taken off those 30lbs I gained and even lost 5 more after that.... YOU CAN DO IT!!!
  • wendyknuteson
    Options
    I want to let you know that you are not the only one that's been right where you are right now. Losing weight is way harder than putting it on. You can do just put one foot in front of the other and believe in yourself. May you find happinees and in joy in your life.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I'll motivate you!
    =D
  • chljlleal
    chljlleal Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Two weeks is a really short amount of time (you didn't put all of your weight on in 2 weeks!)

Take small steps, be realistic and above all focus on the positive aspects of the last two weeks! If you feel good now how good do you think you will feel in 2 months or 2 years?
  • littlelady62
    Options
    "DON'T GIVE UP ON YOURSELF". Usually we all want to give up after our second week. Keep asking MFP friends to help you stay motivated. Take baby steps, measure your foods, keep your diary (find that is more helpful for me). Remember we can't take it off as fast as we put the weight on (which is a bummer). Get back on the wagon, don't look back and keep moving forward.
  • gdmanley
    gdmanley Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I understand wanting to give up, but I also know how badly I internalize the guilt of giving up and then I feel bad for two reasons. I also have IBS, chronic pancreatitis, and diabetes. It makes it hard to stay motivated because weight can be so fluid for me. 5# swings in a dayu are nothing, so I feel like I never really know what I weigh. But, with your diagnosis, you are going to feel so much better if you eat the kind of diet a site like this promotes. Plenty of fruit and veggies and fewer carbs with as much exercise as you can drag out of yourself will help your IBS and your body.
  • Tina_Boone
    Tina_Boone Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Im getting married in six months and although I found a picture yesterday from about 4 years ago and felt great about how far Ive become I still struggle.I dont think because I dont want to I think because I want faster results I am suurounded by junk constantly and Its football season lol! My main goal is wanting my fiance to have that WOW factor. I also want to just be healthy. I post little motivational quotes on my facebook or buy a size too small and make them my goals. I read a good quote today "feeling deafeted is temorary but giving up is permenent. You need to find within a happy place and if its stopping it is but if is giving up your not letting happy win. Good luck sister and congratulations on the big day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wink:
  • dcyr009
    Options
    I've been doing this for over 10 months and have stuck to it. Here are the things that helpped me stay on track:

1. This is not a diet but the way I will eat for the rest of my life.
    2. Your stumic is like your inner child. Don't spoil the child when it craves the unhealthy stuff. Instead, eat something healthy every two hours.
    3. Stay on a schedule. If you crave inbetween tell yourself to wait until the next scheduled small meal. Your body will get use to it. Don't give in - it is only a 2 hour wait.
    4. Eat large salids for lunch and dinner with a side of protein (lean Chicken Breast or Fish). You will feel like you ate a satisfied meal.
    5. Drink plenty of water - I drink sugar free - low calorie packets with hot water. Most people drink them cold. I like them hot.
    6. Don't eat after 7:00 PM at night.
    7. Keep your sodium intake down.
    8. Eat your breakfast - I eat fiber one cerial with almond milk.
    9. Take a vitimin.
    10. I have a teas. of flax seed every morning.

I lost alomst 81 pounds since Dec 2011 and I have no desire to fall off. I'm at my healthy BMI of 21 and weight 117 lbs. I am 5'1 in height. Good luck.
  • debinmb
    debinmb Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've felt the same way. It's hard. Asking the question on this site is a great step. I always think.. one day at a time, how can I achieve my goals today. But, you have to realize you will have days that are not so good. That next morning get us and say.... this is the first day of the rest of my life. Go for it. Good luck.
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    For me one of the things that keeps me going is that I stopped thinking of this as a diet that I can start and stop as needed. Its just a new lifestyle where I track what I eat and how much I exercise and generally make better choices because of my tracking.

There are days that I eat poorly or way too much and days that I do not exercise. And there are days that the scale is def heading he wrong way :( But everyday starts anew!
  • Medeiros12
    Medeiros12 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi, sorry you feel that way! What works for me is working out every day but Sunday. I purchased an inexpensive elliptical and do that for 1/2 hour everyday. This keeps me motivated to keep on track with the calorie counting. Good luck!
  • banks89202
    Options
    Never give up!!
  • judykay05
    Options
    Never give up, or you will be right back to having to lose a lot of weight over and over, and you might just wreck your health!
    Listen, here's something I learned about myself and I'm sure it's true for a lot of people.

I am a chronic over eater. If I continue to over eat and I don't change my ways I will just get fatter and fatter and fatter. It's inevitable. The misery I feel right now will be compounded over and over. Just a little donut is never "just" one donut. I might as well just plan on high blood pressure, diabetes, bad knees, a hard time walking, etc. Not to mention, depression, anxiety, and the hundreds of activities I will have to pass on because of my size.

OR I can take care of myself, change my habits for the rest of my life and reclaim my health. I can look in the mirror every day and be happy! I can wear smaller clothes and feel better overall. I can choose to live my life instead of sitting on the side lines.

And btw, I want to run a marrathon, a triathalon, go paddleboarding, and climb mountains again!

Does any of this make sense to you?