fitness question

Options
I have been hard at work in the gym and kitchen for over a month. My weight is going down, but to my horror, I noticed that my measurements have gone up, by INCHES! What am I doing wrong?? This is very disheartening!!

Replies

• IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I'd say your measuring and/or weighing wrong/inconsistently. If you're sure........maybe put the measuring tape away for a month and just stick with weight.
  • texas_cutie75
    Options
    Same spots, same day of the week, same time of day, even same work out clothes. The only factor changing is me and my weight and measurements. I think I have to go back to the trainer and tell her something is wrong.
  • JNC1987
    Options
    water retention?
  • texas_cutie75
    Options
    I hadn't thought about that.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you are working out, especially weight training, it's probably inflammation of your muscles due to additional water stored. If you are losing weight, eventually the inches will come down too.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    If you are working out, especially weight training, it's probably inflammation of your muscles due to additional water stored. If you are losing weight, eventually the inches will come down too.

agreed
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is anything "wrong". PUT DOWN THE MEASURING TAPE. ;)

If you're losing.......just be happy with that, put away the tape for a month, and keep losing. If you're losing, you are doing something right. You're starting from a place of being overweight.......you're body isn't in great shape, it's going to do some weird things over the next few months. It happens.
  • texas_cutie75
    Options
    I am losing about 2 lbs a week, so its a good steady loss. I just get so distraught over not getting into smaller sizes, even with the weight loss.
  • texas_cutie75
    Options
    Gotcha, it will be tossed in the junk drawer for a long while! :-)
  • StarIsMoving
    Options

^^^^ Bam! We have a winner :wink: Just my two cents
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I am losing about 2 lbs a week, so its a good steady loss. I just get so distraught over not getting into smaller sizes, even with the weight loss.

Just give it time. Keep in mind when you lose weight, it's from your hands, feet, neck, face, legs, hips, etc... so if you lose 2 lbs, it's divided up between all the area's. Just concentrate on heavy weight lifting (failing at 6-10 reps), have a moderate deficit (generally 20% less than TDEE is best) and combined with a high protein diet and you will have a recipe to cut body fat.
  • texas_cutie75
    Options

Just give it time. Keep in mind when you lose weight, it's from your hands, feet, neck, face, legs, hips, etc... so if you lose 2 lbs, it's divided up between all the area's. Just concentrate on heavy weight lifting (failing at 6-10 reps), have a moderate deficit (generally 20% less than TDEE is best) and combined with a high protein diet and you will have a recipe to cut body fat.

That is my other question.... the whole TDEE is confusing, I get 1200 calories, but earn back calories when I hit the gym... is this accurate?

(failing at 6-10 reps), so quit the lighter weights at 15 reps 3 times?

I cannot express how much I appreciate all the help y'all!!
  • PeterThompson
    Options
    i think it is just because your body is still developing and the muscles that you are acquiring will eventually burn the fat and that will make you loose the inches dont be upset it really need to takes time
    http://bestadjustabledumbbellsreviews.com/
  • psuLemon
    Options
    So if you workout and earn more calories yes you should eat them. You need to fuel your body and there are two sources of fuel; calories and lean body mass. The less food you eat (especially when its less than your bmr or metabolic rate ) the more likely your body will acquire energy from lbm. Now the heavier you are the more likely your fat stores have enough fuel in the to sustain you but ralistically, that ability diminishes over time. So if you do workout, 1200 calories is definitely not enough. If you are any kind of active, 1600+ calories is better. In fact, for the 250+ people on here that i have run their number most women are eat 1700-2100 and men are 2500+. So i would suggest eat back exercise calories.

Next, you can continue doing low weight high rep but its not as effective as low rep high weight when it comes to burning fat. So if you want to burn more fat, i would suggest switching.