Struggling to find time to exercise!

Options
I have been really strict with myself in the 2 months I have been dieting, but now I'm back at university and I also have a part time job and I haven't got as much time as I'd like to exercise. I'm worried that this will affect the amount I lose on a weekly basis. Sometimes I'm only managing half an hour a day four days a week!

Anyone experienced the same sort of problem? Not going to give up but it leaves me feeling so down because when I step on the scales I pay for the exercise I haven't done.

Replies

• EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I remember those days. I worked full-time on top of school, though. :( I had to fit it in around my schedule. Sometimes that meant 20 minutes in the morning and then 20 minutes at night. You don't have to do it all at once. Weekends were awesome for me because I had more time and could do longer workouts to make up for shorter ones during the week.

Good luck with school. :)
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Taking an hour out each day or several days a week to exercise is very important! That is time you need - and it will help keep you sane through the stress of work and school. Trust me.
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I am a little different I am having a hard time finding time to work out due to too many children lol I have 6. I have 7 month old twins and am finding it hard to workout while taking care of them and being SUPER tired! I know there are people who have way more to do than I do but I still find it a challenge getting my workout in.
  • momo0884
    Options
    I have the same problem. I work full time and have three kids all under the age of 7. By the time I get home from work it's dinner time, then it's time to get everyone ready for bed, and then once I get all the kids to sleep (my youngest, 2, is the hard one) I'm exhausted from the day and don't want to do anything. My youngest has also been getting up A LOT in the middle of the night and I'm constantly putting him back in bed, so right now I just want to go to sleep. What I did was manage to schedule on my calendar at least 3 hours a week that are dedicated to going to the gym. It's not a lot, but since I'm WAY out of shape to begin with it's a start and it is a lot more than what I have been doing. Don't stress about it and just make sure to schedule some time (even if it is a little bit) to keep you going.
  • priyaFitnessFreak
    priyaFitnessFreak Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I know its tough... but u can do it! 30 mins 4 days a week is better than what most people do. Just make sure that u make every minute count. And continue being strict with your diet... that'll be your key right now. I work 10 hr work days daily so I can sort of understand what it's like.
    And as Saltatoria said, u can get more done during the weekends.
    All the best!
  • GwennyH
    GwennyH Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Been there! Little things can help too though: take the stairs instead of the elevators on campus? Park at the far end of the parking lot? If you have a few extra minutes, take an extra lap around the building instead of just standing outside waiting? Do some sit-ups in between studying? It's not a "work-out" persay, but the more your body moves, the better!
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Grad student here - totally understand!!

It's helpful to think of your exercise time as escape/you time where you don't have to do any of your school/work stuff; it may make it more enjoyable, rather than a chore you're trying to fit in.

Also, you need some mental space with everything you're doing, and you need to be healthy to handle everything you're doing - the exercise will help you with that, as well as to sleep better. Sneak in a half hour even where you can, and make the most of it - it'll help you in the long run with everything :)
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    gotta make it work! I wake up 2 -3 hours earlier to do my work out... I wake up at 4am start at 4:30 and then my morning begins... make lunches, breakfasts, pack bags... wake up calls, do what dishes are left over night... fold clothes, wash clothes, get in the car and play taxi, then go to work.
  • priyaFitnessFreak
    priyaFitnessFreak Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I work full time and have three kids all under the age of 7. By the time I get home from work it's dinner time, then it's time to get everyone ready for bed, and then once I get all the kids to sleep (my youngest, 2, is the hard one) I'm exhausted from the day and don't want to do anything. My youngest has also been getting up A LOT in the middle of the night and I'm constantly putting him back in bed, so right now I just want to go to sleep. What I did was manage to schedule on my calendar at least 3 hours a week that are dedicated to going to the gym. It's not a lot, but since I'm WAY out of shape to begin with it's a start and it is a lot more than what I have been doing. Don't stress about it and just make sure to schedule some time (even if it is a little bit) to keep you going.

IT IS A LOT! Keep doing that and u'll start feeling more energetic with time.
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    My attitude is any exercise is better than no exercise. I work two jobs Monday - Friday (8:30 am - 5:15 pm and 5:30 pm - 10:30 pm). In addition I have an hour ride each way to work (longer in the winter). I munch throughout the day at my desk and pack small portions to carry in my purse so I can eat whenever I have the chance. That way I can use my 30-min lunch for a walk/jog. If I can get up, I will walk for 30-min in the morning but I don't push that as I only get 5-6 hours of sleep as it is.

I also have two great MFP pals that run daily mini challenges (ex. 15 squats, 300 jumping jacks.....) These take less than 10 min and I can squeeze them in when I run to the ladies room.

I have three kids still at home and my two granddaughters. I watch the munchkins on weekends so their mom can work doubles. Make sure you continue to eat right and try to get in whatexercise you can.
  • punk_uss
    punk_uss Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm with my friend on this one. Remember that your workout times are for you! They help you refocus, feel good, and take some time to do what is best for you. Don't let perceived challenges of work and school get in the way too often. As a person who has been going to school and working (don't forget the family of course) you will soon find that you don't have the energy to do anything if you go too long without the exercise recharge. Another person also stated that you don't have to do it all at the same time which is really good advice. You would be amazed at what you can fit in if you put your mind to it.

When your tired and sitting at your desk studying, get up and stretch for 10 minutes. Maybe a little Tai Chi could also help focus and calm the mind. Push-up and sit-up breaks, taking the stairs instead of the elevator, blah-blah-blah from other postings.

Just don't forget WHO is the most important element in all that you are doing this for . . . . Be well.