Eating Out

Options
Hey Everyone! Where are your favorite places to eat when you're not eating at home and what do you order? I need some low cal options because I' m not the biggest fan of cooking. Thanks for any ideas!

Replies

• Go1096
    Go1096 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Subway has been my friend. I order the oven roasted chicken (foot long) on 9 grain wheat and all the veggies I want.
    No Cheese. and Chipotle sauce. You have to tell them you only want a little otherwise you can kiss your healthy eating goodbye.
    Its 90 calories of serving for that stuff. If not, get the sweet onion teriyaki which is less cals and water to drink.

I split them into 2 meals. One for dinner and one for lunch the next day..... or for breakfast and throw in some egg whites :)

Sometimes, if I didn't have time to eat lunch I will eat the foot long that day( and if it fits my macros).

If you have a smartphone you can download an app that will give you calories of what you want on your subway sandwich and you can figure it out before you go into the store and order. There are other apps out there too for other restaurants. You might want to just use those for reference. Good luck!

The other thing is, you have to at some point learn how to be a fan of cooking because this is a life long change...not a quick fix.
    and it will get expensive over time to keep going to restaurants...just saying.

I am sure you can find some really simple yummy recipes here that you can use. :)
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    My favorite is a big salad with 6 oz. of chicken (I usually double this), strawberries, candied pecans, feta, and raspberry vinaigrette dressing.

At burger fast food I get dry chicken sandwiches (usually with an extra grilled patty).

At steakhouses I get sirloins with steamed veggies.
  • phynyxfyre
    phynyxfyre Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Taco Bell:

Taco Bell Gordita Nacho Cheese -- Chicken
    270 calories
    10g fat, 2.5g saturated fat

Two Fresco Soft Beef Tacos
    with Mexican Rice and a bottle of water
    470 calories
    17 g fat (6 g saturated fat)
    1,760 mg sodium

Subway:
    6-inch Double Roast Beef Sub
    with Veggie Delite Salad with Fat-Free Italian Dressing and Medium Iced Tea
    455 calories
    8 g fat (3.5 g saturated fat)
    2,100 mg sodium

Quiznos:
    Small Honey Bourbon Chicken
    with a Cup of Chili (no crackers), and bottle of water
    460 calories
    11.5 g fat (2.5 g saturated fat)
    1,540 mg sodium

Pizza Hut:
    Two Slices Thin ‘N Crispy Pizza (12")
    with Quartered Ham & Pineapple, and Medium Diet Coke
    360 calories
    12 g fat (5 g saturated fat)
    1,110 mg sodium

McDonald's:

McDonald's Chicken McNuggets with Sweet 'N Sour Sauce
    4 pieces, 220 calories
    10g fat, 2g saturated fat
    add a Fruit & Walnut Salad (310 calories, with yogurt dressing)

McDonald's Hamburger
    260 calories
    9g fat, 3.5g saturated fat
    This less-than-two-ounce burger is pretty small, so it's one of the diet-friendliest sandwiches in the biz. Pair it with a Side Salad drizzled with a packet of Newman's Own Low Fat Balsamic Vinaigrette (60 calories total) and a bottle of water.

McDonald's Egg McMuffin
    300 calories
    12g fat, 4.5g saturated fat
    McDonald's McChicken
    370 calories
    16g fat, 3.5g saturated fat

Premium Grilled Chicken Classic Sandwich
    with a Side Salad with Newman's Own Low Fat Balsamic Vinaigrette, and a Medium Iced Tea
    480 calories
    13 g fat (2 g saturated fat)
    1,945 mg sodium

KFC:

KFC Honey BBQ Sandwich
    300 calories
    6g fat, 1.5g saturated fat

3 Crispy Strips
    with Green Beans and 3" Corn on the Cob, and a Medium Diet Pepsi
    475 calories
    22.5 g fat (6 g saturated fat)
    1,165 mg sodium

Jack in the Box:
    Chicken Fajita Pita
    with Side Salad with Low-Fat Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing and a 20-oz Fresh Brewed Iced Tea
    390 calories
    13.5 g fat (5 g saturated)
    1,650 mg sodium

Dunkin Donuts:
    Ham, Egg & Cheese English Muffin Sandwich
    with English Breakfast Tea
    350 calories
    15 g fat (6 g saturated fat)
    1,040 mg sodium

Carl's Junior:
    Charbroiled BBQ Chicken Sandwich
    with Side Salad with Low Fat Balsamic Dressing, and Medium Iced Tea
    445 calories
    8.5 g fat (2.5 g saturated fat)
    1,690 mg sodium

Burger King:
    Whopper Jr. without Mayo
    with Garden Salad and 10-oz Minute Maid Orange Juice
    445 calories
    12 g fat (4.5 g saturated fat)
    520 mg sodium

Arby's:
    Chicken Fillet Sandwich - Roast
    with Applesauce, and a 20-oz Diet Peach FruiTea
    470 calories
    16 g fat (3 g saturated fat)
    934 mg sodium

Although I would also recommend cooking at home, these are some options. As you can see, the sodium is outrageous.
    Here is a resource for quick, easy, healthy, five ingredient meals, in case you want to try your hand at cooking:
    http://www.cookinglight.com/food/quick-healthy/5-ingredient-healthy-recipes-00400000053319/
  • hacker1234
    hacker1234 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    My wife and I eat at Bob Evans alot. I like the turkey dinner with carrots and brocolli rather than dressing and no gravy on the mashed potatoes. That is only around 300 calories. I usually add 2 slices of wheat toast that I doctor up as desert with some splenda. Not the greatest meal in the world, but tasty and filling and not destructive to my efforts to stay under 2000 for a day.
  • Bunny2Flyy
    Options
    subway turkey salad with spinach and sweet onion terriyaki. Captain Ds has a great menu as well for low cal,like baked tilapia and salmon.
  • bjean2706
    Options
    Olive Garden has a great salmon dinner with broccoli for 510 calories! Just dont eat the breadsticks... :)
  • Brandi1168
    Brandi1168 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I like to eat at Panera. I usually get a U pick 2 meal with salad (usually greek, but the cafe salad is the healthiest) and either black bean soup or garden vegetable soup (I think chicken noodle is pretty low in calories too). If I have enough calories I'll have a baguette for the side, but you can get an apple instead.